OFFICIAL SCL RULES - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Postby dasein » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 am

TheRobSays wrote:When would the bird right holder declare a match? After all bidding is done and the final "winning" bid is in? Admittedly I haven't been paying attention but if you only have the right to say "match" then why wouldn't you just participate in the bid all along as there is no max salary anyways - what is the advantage of having the right to match if you still have to bid the value up as well?

You do need to participate in the bidding, this just allows you to lead by matching rather than beat. You would need to post the alternate structure in the same post as the "match". When all is said and done this has the potential to give you a small discount. Nobody is trying to make out that this is a large advantage.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 432)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Martel Webster

Postby Da Ruhl » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Is it? I don't see that in the rules anywhere. If BYS < 5, bid C must be greater than prior C by at least 0.1. Prior C was 0, so 0.1 would seem ok?

Perhaps I'm missing it?

Thanks!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 165)

Postby dasein » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:51 pm

yes, min is 0.25. it might have disapeared from the rules during an update. I'll put it back in there.

As of now, no legal bid has been placed on Webster.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Da Ruhl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:17 am

Ok.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of changing the written rules now that the auction has already started - doesn't seem entirely fair/appropriate (a point others have made about other rule changes). And I do think the written rules should be the rules even if people misread/misunderstand/misremember them (again, a point others have made about other rules).

That said, I do get that it sounds like an honest mistake was made, and it's not a big $$ difference, so I can roll with it.

Thanks!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:57 am

Da Ruhl wrote:Ok.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of changing the written rules now that the auction has already started - doesn't seem entirely fair/appropriate (a point others have made about other rule changes). And I do think the written rules should be the rules even if people misread/misunderstand/misremember them (again, a point others have made about other rules).

That said, I do get that it sounds like an honest mistake was made, and it's not a big $$ difference, so I can roll with it.

Thanks!

-DR

As dasein pointed out, it was simply just lost when the rules were updated. I know the rule has always been .25 so its not a change. But I completely understand as you are new to the league that obviously you would not know this since it vanished from the rules doc. ;-D
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 140)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Da Ruhl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:18 am

Hmmm... I hear ya, but on balance I stand by what I said: "... I'm not a big fan of changing the written rules ..." (emphasis added)

It's tough for me to not view this as a change of the written rules as... dasein is going to go into the written rules and change them. ;-D

So... I think your statement, more precisely, is that it is not a change to the understood (by whichever set of members) rules of the league and that in case of a conflict between the written rules and the understood rules, the understood rules govern and the written rules will be re-written to reflect the understood rules, without this representing a change in the rules. :-?

I would prefer the written rules to be the rules and for the written rules to not change during the season.

But not a big deal here and I get that the min contract was accidentally removed (and/or was an unanticipated side-effect of the change in minimum C increments - I'm not sure which). Glad to go along with it on the idea that we all need to be reasonable.

Let's move on!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby dasein » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:36 am

DR, point me to the place where it said that 0.1M was the minimum contract value. }:-)

It said/says 0.1 was the minimum raise. There was actually nothing written about what the minimum was so no written rule has in fact been changed. You just took something that was there and misinterpreted as something else.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Da Ruhl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 am

Correct, but the rules state that you have to raise the prior bid (of 0) by at least 0.1M, which makes 0.1M the de facto (if not de jure) minimum.

Moreover, even if you argue that this logic is incorrect, inserting a minimum contract of 0.25M is still changing the written rules.

That all said, again not a big deal. Small $ value and it is clearly in good faith to repair an accidental omission. So I'm really not all that jazzed up about it.

Hope we can move on now! ;-D These are pretty small, unimportant points on balance. :-b

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby So-Tex » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:44 am

Da Ruhl wrote:Correct, but the rules state that you have to raise the prior bid (of 0) by at least 0.1M, which makes 0.1M the de facto (if not de jure) minimum.

Moreover, even if you argue that this logic is incorrect, inserting a minimum contract of 0.25M is still changing the written rules.

That all said, again not a big deal. Small $ value and it is clearly in good faith to repair an accidental omission. So I'm really not all that jazzed up about it.

Hope we can move on now! ;-D These are pretty small, unimportant points on balance. :-b

-DR

I sent DR a pm about this, but I just wanted to make sure we're all clear about it here.

It IS written in the rules that the minimum BYS of ANY contract can NOT be less than 0.25M. Section 3.2 states (I've bolded the wording in question):

3.2 VETERAN CONTRACTS

Veteran contracts result from the Free Agent bidding process. The rules that govern these contracts are as follows:

A contract (C) is described completely by 3 variables:

1. Base year salary (BYS) in millions of dollars

2. Contract length in years (N)

3. Percentage of BYS for annual raise/reduction (r)

C must be rounded to the nearest $10,000 (0.01M). Numbers ending in 0.001 - 0.004 may be rounded down, 0.005 - 0.009 are rounded up.
There is no maximum BYS*. The minimum BYS is 0.25M
The maximum r is ± 10% (± 15% with bird rights).
The annual salary increase/decrease is a fixed amount; BYS x r
The restrictions on N are:

If BYS is greater or equal to 10M, N must be 2-4.

If BYS is within the range 5M – 9.99M, N must be 1-3.

If BYS is less than 5M, N must be 1 or 2.

Example 1: BYS = 6, N = 3, r = 10%; C = 19.8M (6 + 6.6 + 7.2)

Example 2: BYS = 16, N =4, r = -5%; C = 59.2M (16 + 15.2 + 14.4 + 13.6)

Note: C = 0.5N.(2.BYS + (N-1).BYS.r)

*Contracts over 20M represent a substantial commitment and should not be taken on lightly. Kevin Durant’s historic 2012/13 fantasy season can be valued at around $30. Managers should be aware that offering contracts of this magnitude are very unlikely to constitute good value in the vast majority of cases.

So basically, a player's contract can NOT have a BYS of LESS THAN 0.25M. Therefore, if a player has a ONE YEAR CONTRACT, by default, the BYS IS that one year...and by default, that BYS can be NO LESS THAN 0.25M.

Because of this, a player's auction can not start at "0". It starts at "0.25M" by default, then goes up by "0.1M" increments until it hits the next tier, and so on, and so on. Auctions during the season will work the same way, but with different time constraints.

So nothing was "lost" during updates, and no "rules changes", written or otherwise, are necessary. Just a simple misunderstanding. ;-)

I just wanted to bring it to light though, in case anyone else wasn't too clear on the matter. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 215)

Postby silentjim » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:07 pm

.25M has always been the minimum contract for any player (whether it was 100% written or not). ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap