OFFICIAL SCL RULES - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: RULES draft version 2

Postby 4ndrew » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 am

Ok, with Biyombo taken off and Cole waived that's 3.6M free cap, you'd still have to waive someone.

I asked if it was ok to bid over the cap, you tell me no its a hard cap, bid not counted etc. Now you say you can waive someone to get under? Shouldn't you waive first and then bid? I'm not understanding this.

I've got nothing against you bidding for Hibbert or anyone else. It just sets a precedent, with this not clearly spelled out in the rules atm, that anyone can bid over their cap and waive players later if they win.
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:58 am

You can always waive guys to get under. We're talking about a couple of hundred K here, which is easy to manage, and within the reach of any team. it's not bidding numerous millions over without any realistic recourse to make room. I have a host of surplus wings I could waive if I wanted too, so I'm not worried.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby 4ndrew » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:59 am

I don't think you understand what I'm saying Fenris. You've bid over your cap, especially if you add Amir Johnson's 1M as well. Yes its small money, yes you can easily get under.

But as it stands right now you're doing what I first asked about & you said was illegal (ie bid over the cap and waive later), and you're saying its ok for you to do? If that's the case we could have a happy bidding war taking Amir Johnson up to the max, with the winner worrying who to waive when the auction's done.

Please understand its nothing personal, I'm not having a go at you or anything. Its the first time I've been in this league and I just want to be clear on the rules.
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:10 am

I'll admit, I don't remember of bids still exert cap holds in this league. I didn't think they did, which is why I jumped in on Johnson, assuming that you'd obviously bid more for Hibbert since his market value in our system is more like 6-7M at the least.

As for the leagilities, as long you're upfront about what steps you'll take to make a bid happen then go nuts. It's only once you obviously can't support the bid that things get sticky. I can easily, and legally, support the Hibbert bid. That wouldn't be the case if he were even a mil or so higher, because I'd have to waive more guys than I'd really like (or can even afford to), so I wouldn't match or raise to that level.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 4ndrew » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:14 am

Ok yep alright, I'm happy with that if dasein is. As I said, all this needs to be written up clearly to avoid discussions like this.
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:21 am

Dude, just raise the bid on Hibbert to 10K or whatever more than mine and go home happy. I've tried to subtly suggest that you could easily outbid me here even by a modest amount because I'm pretty tight for cash, but you don't want to take a hint. I'm not raising the player beyond market value here, nor making a bid I can't legally make good on, so there's really nothing to complain about.

And, fyi, dasein's happiness is mo more or less important than mine or a couple of other guys. It's a committee sort of thing.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 4ndrew » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:25 am

I've raised the bid on Hibbert, but that wasn't the point at all. As I said a few times, I'm just trying to get a grip on the rules, and I'm definitely not complaining about anything, sorry if I gave that impression.
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:32 am

4ndrew wrote:I've raised the bid on Hibbert, but that wasn't the point at all. As I said a few times, I'm just trying to get a grip on the rules, and I'm definitely not complaining about anything, sorry if I gave that impression.

I get that. This is an eminently reasonable league. We don't go in for a lot of rules dogma and ultimatums. I should have mentioned who I was prepared to wiave to make the bid happen, but it slipped my mind. That said, a little creative cap management isn't going to lose you a bid in this league. If you're willing to get under then everything is gold. In that respect it's much like the NBA.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:01 am

Sorry I'm a little late to this party, but Fenris, you can't have open bids during free agency that equal more than 75M. Theoretically you could win all of the bids that you have floating out there and thus be over the 75M. Open bids do count as cap holds, and as David has mentioned earlier in other threads, the minimum roster for the regular season is 11 players, which means people at or near the cap should also be thinking about making sure they have .25M available for every player needed to get to 11 if necessary. You could waive players in order to free up that money though after free agency is over, but before the regular season starts.

If you're bidding currently though and going over 75M you are breaking the rule and subject to violations. Technically speaking.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:09 am

Fenris, I also can't tell if that was an official waive of Norris Cole or not. Just confirm yes or no so he can be removed from you cap. Since it's a non-guaranteed contract you would get his full .5M back this season on your cap.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap