OFFICIAL SCL RULES - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: RULES draft version 2

Postby 4ndrew » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 am

Are you saying that I manned up and bidded higher on Hibbert when I didn't have to? :-B

(am not serious, as someone else is 99% likely to bid anyway & I'm not that fussed on big Roy)
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:16 am

4ndrew wrote:Are you saying that I manned up and bidded higher on Hibbert when I didn't have to? :-B

(am not serious, as someone else is 99% likely to bid anyway & I'm not that fussed on big Roy)

Yes, check the Hibbert thread. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 735)

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:25 am

silentjim wrote:Sorry I'm a little late to this party, but Fenris, you can't have open bids during free agency that equal more than 75M. Theoretically you could win all of the bids that you have floating out there and thus be over the 75M. Open bids do count as cap holds, and as David has mentioned earlier in other threads, the minimum roster for the regular season is 11 players, which means people at or near the cap should also be thinking about making sure they have .25M available for every player needed to get to 11 if necessary. You could waive players in order to free up that money though after free agency is over, but before the regular season starts.

If you're bidding currently though and going over 75M you are breaking the rule and subject to violations. Technically speaking.

This is correct. If I have 9 players at 70M, and I lead on a player at 3M, I have a max of 2M in year 1 salary to offer another free agent. You have to waive the players to free up the money before you make the bid. Since you waived Cole, and Biyombo is overseas(let scully know that to change your roster), you have 3.6M in available money(in year 1 salary) to spend.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:58 am

Fenris-77 wrote:And, fyi, dasein's happiness is mo more or less important than mine or a couple of other guys. It's a committee sort of thing.

pff...try telling that to my mum. ;-7
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 443)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:26 pm

DVauthrin wrote:This is correct. If I have 9 players at 70M, and I lead on a player at 3M, I have a max of 2M in year 1 salary to offer another free agent. You have to waive the players to free up the money before you make the bid. Since you waived Cole, and Biyombo is overseas(let scully know that to change your roster), you have 3.6M in available money(in year 1 salary) to spend.

This is incorrect IMO, or at least not nearly as correct as you seem to think. All the rules say is "- Available cap space of the manager". Nothing at all about order of operations. Nothing about waiving players first. Nothing at all in the way of detail actually (and I did read that section last night). The couple of hundred K we're talking about was available, just conditionally avaialble. With no detail about this in the rules, I would think we'd default to NBA norms, which have the cap shenanigans after the offer is accepted, not just to make the offer (which is silly). Failing an actual quoted rule from somewhere, I'm not waiving anyone.

If the group wants to make things a little more explicit that's fine with me, but right now everyone is making assumptions about the rules (myself included obviously).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:This is correct. If I have 9 players at 70M, and I lead on a player at 3M, I have a max of 2M in year 1 salary to offer another free agent. You have to waive the players to free up the money before you make the bid. Since you waived Cole, and Biyombo is overseas(let scully know that to change your roster), you have 3.6M in available money(in year 1 salary) to spend.

This is incorrect IMO, or at least not nearly as correct as you seem to think. All the rules say is "- Available cap space of the manager". Nothing at all about order of operations. Nothing about waiving players first. Nothing at all in the way of detail actually (and I did read that section last night). The couple of hundred K we're talking about was available, just conditionally avaialble. With no detail about this in the rules, I would think we'd default to NBA norms, which have the cap shenanigans after the offer is accepted, not just to make the offer (which is silly). Failing an actual quoted rule from somewhere, I'm not waiving anyone.

If the group wants to make things a little more explicit that's fine with me, but right now everyone is making assumptions about the rules (myself included obviously).

I disagree a little bit here. I agree that we could make it directly say word for word you're not allowed to do what you were doing, but in reality we've never been able to go over the hard cap or now the regular cap which is 75M. The rule states:

The total current value of all contracts belonging to a team may not exceed 75M at any time.

Last season this wasn't a possibility either, no bidding more than you have available. It's the whole point of group tiers in free agency as well.

When you bid on a player you technically for that time period whether minutes or hours have that player on your team. In your instance you're saying its a matter of a few K, but what happens if you have 10M available and put 10M bids on two players who you then when? You would either need to make massive trades where you get worked over the coals or you'd have to waive a ton of guys at x percent to even come close. These rules are in place to help you and the league.

Additionally even though news comes out of the NBA forwards and backwards, I guarantee you that for example, Brandon Roy was amnestied before Jamal Crawford every put pen to paper. It's just the way information comes out to the public that makes it seem that things can happen all wonky, which isn't the case.

I know our violation committee is a committee, but I will say that since this was a misunderstanding of the rules, there will be no penalty for you right now. But now that you are aware of the rule and others can see this discussion, this will be enforceable from here on out.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dasein » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:21 pm

Yeah, it seems to me a simple thing to say that leading bids count as cap holds, and that the sum of cap holds and salaries may never rise above 75M.

So I'm making this explicit in the rules?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:33 pm

dasein wrote:Yeah, it seems to me a simple thing to say that leading bids count as cap holds, and that the sum of cap holds and salaries may never rise above 75M.

So I'm making this explicit in the rules?

Correct.
silentjim

Postby dasein » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:07 pm

above update done. ;-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:40 am

Are penalties doled out on an case-by-case basis or is there a list whereby each violation has a predetermined penalty?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap