OFFICIAL SCL RULES - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 pm

silentjim wrote:
dasein wrote:Is it certain he won't play this year?

Yeah, I think you're unfortunately in the waiting game. I think if some sort of information comes out that says he's not playing in the NBA at all this season I'd be good to make a decision. Additionally since he hasn't played an NBA game yet, after 43 are played this upcoming season he would technically fit the rules as well. I'm guessing the first thing happens fairly quickly since he didn't play away games in the D League and then didn't return to the team. With some meager news story I could be easily convinced to allow him an injured player exception. That being said, if you waive him (1.5M * 75%) you'd have 1.13M count against the cap and if you can get the Injured Player Exception you'd only have .6M count against the cap (1.5M - (1.5M * 60%)). Don't get me wrong .53M might be needed by you, it's just not the multi-million dollars that I think Yao's owner got for example.

That is true that it would not be a significant savings. More just looking for an extra roster spot. I'll keep track of him this off-season and post any noteworthy stories. Thanks for the reply on this ;-D
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:28 am

Thinking about this rookie draft, I had the thought that maybe 2nd round picks should also be on 3 year contracts (with each year being a team option). Most of the guys we're looking at there are long-term plays, so by the time they start doing something (maybe yr 3) their contract is up. I'm not seeing a lot of downside to this.

Thoughts?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby hi chi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:27 pm

I think it's a good idea. No real down side that I see.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

Postby silentjim » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:57 pm

I don't think we can change rules in the middle of the rookie draft. That being said, I'm not a big fan of it either. We already changed the rules so that second rounders were droppable without penalty since they were so "worthless". My guess is that if a second rounder looks to be on a long term plan, you could simply continue to sign him to minimum deals anyway. I think since our max contract is 4 years and a max first rounder is 3, keeping 2nd rounders at 2 fits the bill of our contract money/lengths. You can't currently offer a veteran a 3 year .25M deal and though I understand rookies are different, I just don't see a rule change as being that important.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby dasein » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm looking at it like this. I've got the second pick in the 2nd round, and if the contract was for 3 years there's more than a half dozen guys I'm interested in. As it stands, there is maybe 1 because you need to be aiming at guys who are going to contribute right away and they just aren't available this late. Thinking back, 2 of the 4 first round picks I've made didn't do anything much until the 3rd year- and these are first rounders.

Looking at it another way, how many 2nd round picks are currently on a roster? Off the top of my head I'd say none. It still feels like second rounders are kinda useless. Why have a second round at all if they all just get cut 5 minutes after the draft? Now I'm not proposing cutting the 2nd round because drafts are fun, I'm just trying to make these 2nd rounders more valuable. Basically I think it would be more fun to widen the pool of viable picks by having a longer stash time attached to these guys, and anything that makes the league more fun must be a good thing right?

BTW, the value in adding the extra year to a 2nd round rookie deal, over simply signing them to a 0.25,0.25 as a FA is the RFA rights (and to a lesser extent, getting the unique 3 years at less than 5M). Now 3 years at 0.5 might be a bit light, so you might need to go 0.5, 0.75, 1.0 or something but that's just details.

And I'm not saying it would have to be introduced this draft, although we are still early enough into it that I think we could without doing any damage.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby So-Tex » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:09 pm

I kinda like the idea as well, and wouldn't mind that 3rd year if it meant holding on to prospect (which is what our rosters are designed for in the first place, right?). As long as the 2nd rounders keep the "drop" eligibility (non-guaranteed contracts) that they have now, I'd be game for the change.

And honestly, I'm looking more towards next year than this one. According to everyone in the know (because I certainly don't follow college ball!), next year is a deep, deep draft class. So if there's a chance that 2nd round pick will do anything long term, I'd certainly want to have that player under contract a 3rd year.

And I wouldn't mind if it happened this year or next. Like dasein says, I don't think it would affect anything in this year's draft. But I can also see Jim's perspective, that this year's draft/business has already started, so we can leave it for next year.

Either way, I like the idea. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby nykos » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm for that idea too.
I think as long as 2nd round has not started, we can debate it and validate it, already for this year. This decision has 0 impact on 1st round choices.
nykos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 208)

Re: 2013-2014 Season Discussion

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:14 am

Can we discuss not having overseas players take up a roster spot? I figure it could be a bit of a logistical nightmare to keep track but is there another reason why this rule was made?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Can we discuss not having overseas players take up a roster spot? I figure it could be a bit of a logistical nightmare to keep track but is there another reason why this rule was made?

I've moved this here from the season discussion thread. Idealy, we'd have all discussion about rules in the rules thread. As to the question, I'm not sure why they need a roster spot. Will leave that for someone else.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby silentjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:00 am

dasein wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Can we discuss not having overseas players take up a roster spot? I figure it could be a bit of a logistical nightmare to keep track but is there another reason why this rule was made?

I've moved this here from the season discussion thread. Idealy, we'd have all discussion about rules in the rules thread. As to the question, I'm not sure why they need a roster spot. Will leave that for someone else.

As someone with an overseas player on their roster for now what will be the third season, I'd love to not have him count, but I think we'd always decided that 8 bench slots is more than enough to try to carry some not so sure things. In addition to that, I think there needs to be some investment in an overseas player, like the roster spot taken, or everyone would simply draft overseas players at no cost or roster space, which is a little weird for a fantasy salary cap league.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap