OFFICIAL SCL RULES - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Postby hi chi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:37 pm

I remember several ideas being put out on how to deal with international players and the thought was by have so many bench spots we could carry international players/injured players. I think it has worked well so far.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby barrec » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:16 pm

I am sure it is a bit late to talk about rule changes or additions, but I had an idea last season I wanted to get some feedback on. Would anyone be interested in making it possible for GMs to take on player salary in a trade to make them go through? Lets say Team A wants to acquire a player from Team B but the contract would put Team A over the cap by 1.5M. Could Team B offer to take on that 1.5M (assuming they can stay under the cap) to make the trade go through?

Benefits could include making it easier to make trades, especially for bad contracts. Obvious downside would be having to track it all on the spreadsheet. Thoughts?
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby silentjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:13 pm

barrec wrote:I am sure it is a bit late to talk about rule changes or additions, but I had an idea last season I wanted to get some feedback on. Would anyone be interested in making it possible for GMs to take on player salary in a trade to make them go through? Lets say Team A wants to acquire a player from Team B but the contract would put Team A over the cap by 1.5M. Could Team B offer to take on that 1.5M (assuming they can stay under the cap) to make the trade go through?

Benefits could include making it easier to make trades, especially for bad contracts. Obvious downside would be having to track it all on the spreadsheet. Thoughts?

I think we could possibly discuss this or put it to a vote. I think it's a but cumbersome, but enough people were on board it could be ok. I think the issue I have with it, is that our steadfast rule that kind of supports the other rules is that at no point can you go over 75M. So I'm not particularly for it, but I'd be up for some discussion on it if others are.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby scully19 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:04 am

On the topic of the international players, we gave extra rosters bench spots to be used how one wanted, whether it be international players, or rookie projects, that can essentially be stored and not/seldom used. That's why we have 8 spots, and I don't see a reason to change that.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby dasein » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:52 am

dasein wrote:I'm looking at it like this. I've got the second pick in the 2nd round, and if the contract was for 3 years there's more than a half dozen guys I'm interested in. As it stands, there is maybe 1 because you need to be aiming at guys who are going to contribute right away and they just aren't available this late. Thinking back, 2 of the 4 first round picks I've made didn't do anything much until the 3rd year- and these are first rounders.

Looking at it another way, how many 2nd round picks are currently on a roster? Off the top of my head I'd say none. It still feels like second rounders are kinda useless. Why have a second round at all if they all just get cut 5 minutes after the draft? Now I'm not proposing cutting the 2nd round because drafts are fun, I'm just trying to make these 2nd rounders more valuable. Basically I think it would be more fun to widen the pool of viable picks by having a longer stash time attached to these guys, and anything that makes the league more fun must be a good thing right?

BTW, the value in adding the extra year to a 2nd round rookie deal, over simply signing them to a 0.25,0.25 as a FA is the RFA rights (and to a lesser extent, getting the unique 3 years at less than 5M). Now 3 years at 0.5 might be a bit light, so you might need to go 0.5, 0.75, 1.0 or something but that's just details.

And I'm not saying it would have to be introduced this draft, although we are still early enough into it that I think we could without doing any damage.

Seeing as we seem to be into rule tweaks on the fly at the moment, I want to bump this. My PM to the committee went unanswered for some reason so maybe I can get some love here. scully? dv? fenris?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:41 pm

dasein wrote:
dasein wrote:I'm looking at it like this. I've got the second pick in the 2nd round, and if the contract was for 3 years there's more than a half dozen guys I'm interested in. As it stands, there is maybe 1 because you need to be aiming at guys who are going to contribute right away and they just aren't available this late. Thinking back, 2 of the 4 first round picks I've made didn't do anything much until the 3rd year- and these are first rounders.

Looking at it another way, how many 2nd round picks are currently on a roster? Off the top of my head I'd say none. It still feels like second rounders are kinda useless. Why have a second round at all if they all just get cut 5 minutes after the draft? Now I'm not proposing cutting the 2nd round because drafts are fun, I'm just trying to make these 2nd rounders more valuable. Basically I think it would be more fun to widen the pool of viable picks by having a longer stash time attached to these guys, and anything that makes the league more fun must be a good thing right?

BTW, the value in adding the extra year to a 2nd round rookie deal, over simply signing them to a 0.25,0.25 as a FA is the RFA rights (and to a lesser extent, getting the unique 3 years at less than 5M). Now 3 years at 0.5 might be a bit light, so you might need to go 0.5, 0.75, 1.0 or something but that's just details.

And I'm not saying it would have to be introduced this draft, although we are still early enough into it that I think we could without doing any damage.

Seeing as we seem to be into rule tweaks on the fly at the moment, I want to bump this. My PM to the committee went unanswered for some reason so maybe I can get some love here. scully? dv? fenris?

I think this could be a good idea after giving it some thought.

I'd like to see the contract as follows I think: .5M, [.5M, 1M] with one year being guaranteed and the second and third year being team options with the third year being a 1M option so that if a player is kept for a third year on a deal that would typically only be two years long, it would cost a bit more.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dasein » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:45 pm

silentjim wrote: I'd like to see the contract as follows I think: .5M, [.5M, 1M] with one year being guaranteed and the second and third year being team options with the third year being a 1M option so that if a player is kept for a third year on a deal that would typically only be two years long, it would cost a bit more.

0.5, [0.75, 1]?

We don't want the 2.01 to be that much better than 1.16 although there's really no way around it. It's the same in the NBA, where unguaranteed pick 31 is better than 30.

I imagine we'll still have peeps complaining about the guaranteed first season again though, which I can understand, although having the first year locked in does go towards equalizing them.

Maybe a better way to equalize them a little is to raise the first year salary so it's closer to a first rounder instead, and keep every year as a TO? so something like:

[0.6, 1.2, 1.8]

I imagine most will find that easier to swallow. The start year isn't too different from how it is now, but the faster ramp up means it gets closer to a late 1st rounder as the years move along. Hmm, yes I think I like this one. :-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:56 pm

dasein wrote:
silentjim wrote: I'd like to see the contract as follows I think: .5M, [.5M, 1M] with one year being guaranteed and the second and third year being team options with the third year being a 1M option so that if a player is kept for a third year on a deal that would typically only be two years long, it would cost a bit more.

0.5, [0.75, 1]?

We don't want the 2.01 to be that much better than 1.16 although there's really no way around it. It's the same in the NBA, where unguaranteed pick 31 is better than 30.

I imagine we'll still have peeps complaining about the guaranteed first season again though, which I can understand, although having the first year locked in does go towards equalizing them.

Maybe a better way to equalize them a little is to raise the first year salary so it's closer to a first rounder instead, and keep every year as a TO? so something like:

[0.6, 1.2, 1.8]

I imagine most will find that easier to swallow. The start year isn't too different from how it is now, but the faster ramp up means it gets closer to a late 1st rounder as the years move along. Hmm, yes I think I like this one. :-D

I was thinking that maybe the first two years shouldn't change. What about just adding the final year at either .75M or 1M?

[.5M, .5M, .75M] is probably my vote
silentjim

Postby Da Ruhl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:00 pm

I'd prefer Dasein's option where the first year is not guaranteed. I do think that the second round draft picks don't seem to be that useful right now (although you could argue that is often true in the NBA as well especially for the lower half of the round).

Another option might be to allow them to be treated as international players - take a slot, but don't count against the cap as long as they are "inactive". That said, I think if there is a good route via adjusting the contract, that will be cleaner and simpler.

Just my 2c!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 153)

Postby dasein » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:24 pm

silentjim wrote: I was thinking that maybe the first two years shouldn't change.

What's your reasoning behind that?

I understand that because the idea is to allow these guys to be stashes, we don't want them to be a heavy burden on the cap, we also need to balance this against the end of 1st round contracts so that they don't end up being better assets than 1st round picks.

[0.5, 0.5, 0.75] feels a bit light compared to 1, 1.5, [2] And when you consider the first 2 years cost more and are guaranteed, I'd say under this scenario pick 2.01>>1.16 which isn't really what we want.

How about [0.5, 1, 1.5] ?

The first year stays the same, but years 2 and 3 are the same as years 1 and 2 on a late first rounder. You have to pay something for the stash, but you always have that get out of jail free card in the form of the TO.

Or theres always the [0.5, 0.75, 1] which I first posted. It feels like something of a compromise now.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap