2010 - 2011 Season - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Heroes Keeper

2010 - 2011 Season

Moderator: Lilstinkylynx

Re: 2010 - 2011 Draft Discussion

Postby Nene » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:46 am

wakeupmrwest wrote:First off, I understand the whole rebuilding concept. You look around at the other teams and notice that they seem a lot better than yours so instead of play for this season you play for future seasons. That just doesn't sound very fun to me. I'd rather struggle and try to compete with a mediocre team then play out an entire season not trying to win. So every year, no matter what my keepers look like I draft trying to win. Admittedly this is a flawed concept but I'd rather lose trying. With that said here's my analysis:

Top two teams heading into the season are saldoggs and Caveman. No arguing a solid set of keepers made this possible. They both have stacked rosters but there are holes and in roto holes can be exploited more than if it were H2H. If this were H2H saldogg might go undefeated. But since its roto you never know if a more balanced squad can squeak in between one of those guys or make it to the top.

Nene, Tyrants and jasonuft all have potential to threaten for the title and are an emerging player away from being elite.

The bottom in my opinion consists of phnx2008champs who has thrown in the towel this season opting to choose keepers and draft for next season. Lilstynk's team is really guard heavy. Relying more heavily on guards than forwards is tough to do in roto. The team has assets, Curry and Paul but is extremely weak outside the top 3 players. Onizuka's team just seems old. like Duncan Garnett Yao and Maggette might have all been on the all star team together 8 years ago. But it does have some quality players and will probably be in the middle group.

As for my own team I grade it middle of the pack.

PG: Jason Kidd
SG: Stephen Jackson
G: Deron Williams
SF: Jeff Green
PF: Antawn Jamison
F: Elton Brand
C: Roy Hibbert
C: Andrew Bynum
UTIL: Chris Kaman
UTIL: Mike Conley
Bench: DeMar DeRozan
Bench: Bill Walker
Bench: Shaun Livingston

My keeper core was average compared to the rest but that doesn't really matter to me. Deron, Kidd, Westbrook, Jamison, Green. I drafted pretty much BPA style but I did take into account potential rather than just rely on past years statistics. That's why I reached a bit for Hibbert and took SJax first round because he'll basically be the primary ball handler now that Felton is gone. Augustin is more of a shooter than a true PG. I had 3 of the truest PG's as keepers and opted to move an emerging Westbrook and R. Lopez for Bynum and Kaman to help shore up big man stats. I think if Buynum stays healtHy (which is a huge if) I made out really good on the trade. Brand has old bones but the new coaching staff love him in PHI so anything can happen. Jamison is the man in CLE now which doesn't say much cause the team is back to square one but he'll have a lot of opportunity to score that's for sure. The rest of my picks were fliers. Conley is a young PG that hasn't panned out as of yet but he's a starting PG on a good Memphis team and he still is young enough to make strides. I'm hoping Bill Walker cracks the starting lineup in NY. If so he could be in for some really efficient stat lines. DeRozan is going to get major run in T.O. and he improved every month in the NBA. Being a Raptors fan its a bit of a homer pick but he takes the ball to the basket and his jump shot is improving. Shaun Livingston will be the first player I drop barring another player getting injured.

I think this team is good enough to finish middle of the pack, and it has some solid depth,

That's precisely what I said about your team.

And I agree with you, sometimes it is better to finish in the middle of the pack and at least have some form of contention, than to just blow up ship and try to be good in 2 to 3 seasons.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: a quick message everyone in the league should read...

Postby Nene » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:47 am

CavemanDoctor wrote:Just sent you a fb request sal. I'm Nima.

Already friends with both of you ;-D :-D
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: How about these last 3 managers sign up?

Postby Nene » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:16 pm

1 more to go, dont know who' it is
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Tanking

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 am

Like everything in this league, we will put it up to a vote. It seems that enough people are bothered by this issue that we should resolve it. No punishment will be issued to Baller unless the league deems it is necessary.
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 164)

Re: Tanking

Postby barrec » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:02 am

I think tanking is cheating, plain and simple. However Baller is right in that it's not a specified rule. I am in other leagues where it is spelled out what is considered tanking and what the penalties are.

Though I view it as cheating, I don't know if what he did broke a specified league rule. Maybe that's a rule that doesn't need to be written. I could go either way. I still feel like a relative newcomer to the group and don't know what precedents have been set in the past. I feel it would be unfair to punish anyone for doing something they didn't think was against the rules. And maybe Baller's case is impetus for the league to write a rule against tanking.

With all that said, vote is best and I say what the league says goes.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:41 am

I totally understand Ballers strategy of tanking in order to garner a better draft pick next season. What bothers me about that strategy is that in doing so, many of us who were not at the bottom of the barrel and fighting for a higher standing were affected by the inactivity of a manager. In the past, this league has been very vocal about getting rid of managers who were inactive because it affected the overall competitiveness of the league. Tanking in essence has the same effect. This league is more fun when I compare it to the other leagues I am in because of the knowledgeable quality of the managers and there high activity. It just hurts to see that all of that was put to the wayside in order to gain 2-3 positions higher on a draft pick.
With that said, I have no problem following the vote of the league. Once we decide what to do, I will make sure to update the league rules regarding tanking.

Side note - Cave [Great private league] Those end of the season trades really took me out of contention. would love to be invited back next season.

Sal - It sickens me that your roster is so stacked, but we are all coming for that crown.

Baller - I may trash you a lot, but I give you props when it is due. I am sure I gave you mad props throughout this season for the trades you made. It bothers me that with all the good trades you made this season, you still decided to tank instead of fighting for a higher end of season standing.

Season as a whole - Glad to season that the standings were much more competitive this season, with all teams really having a good chance at placing 2nd [haha]. In seasons prior, standings were always separated into three groups with 2-3 elite teams, 4-6 average teams, and 3 teams that just didn't care. Hoping to see an even more competitive season in 2011-2012.
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby silentjim » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Curious as to what specifically went down. Anyone care to elaborate?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 735)

Postby CavemanDoctor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Stinky, if we do the other league next year (not sure at this point), you're definitely invited. Was a crazy competitive season.

As for baller, I've abstained for obvious reasons. I do think it would be a bit unfair to punish someone for doing something that is not specifically written in the rules. It depends on motivations as I said. If he did it specifically to screw someone over, that's one thing. If he did it to secure a higher pick, that's another. Both are crappy, but one's worse. And at any rate, if he were to be punished, I definitely think completely denying him his 1st round pick is way too steep a punishment, especially considering there's no rule and/or precedent in place. At most, he should be punished by having his 1st round pick become the last pick in the round (in effect, removing the benefit of his tanking plan).
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Right now we are only seeing if a punishment is necessary. Once all the votes are in we cam decide the type of punishment if necessary.
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Wed May 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Trade thread updated w/ all current traded picks including Baller and Cave's Trade. Seeing how there is not enough response in regards to the whole taking issue, I assume the league is just ok leaving things to stand as is.

On a personal note, I hope that the upcoming season is filled with managers that strive for the highest finishing spot possible not one that looks for a higher draft pick.

Tanking is just sad.
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes Keeper