Sacramento Kings Starting 5... - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Sacramento Kings Starting 5...

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Sacramento Kings Starting 5...

Postby NikeTxGuy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:06 am

I saw on the Sacramento Kings preseason game against the Warriors, the starting five was Jason Thompson at the 5, J.J. Hickson at the 4, Thornton at the 3, Fredette at the 2 and Evans at the 1.

Now, seeing how they were short-handed that night, with 3 starters out (Hayes, Cousins, Salmons) I have a problem with one of them...

In my honest opinion, the Kings' starting five should be this:

C - DeMarcus Cousins
PF - Chuck Hayes
SF - Marcus Thornton
SG - Jimmer Fredette
PG - Tyreke Evans

NOT

C - DeMarcus Cousins
PF - Chuck Hayes
SF - John Salmons
SG - Marcus Thornton
PG - Tyreke Evans

Salmons may have the height needed for a SF position, whereas Thornton may not, but that's about it... he's not that good, compared to Thornton, Fredette (tho the jury could still be out on that, but after one preseason game, it looks good!) or Evans. Besides, isn't Billups projected to play at the 2 for the Clippers, alongside Paul? UPDATE: I just saw that Thornton is 6'4" so maybe not, but i bet he could guard small forwards (Wesley Matthews is only 6'5" and classified as a SF AND SG according to yahoo!) so he could do it! Get it done, Paul Wesphal! ;-D
My Team: PG - J.Holiday/M.Conley/J.Kidd/D.Collison-- SG - J.Jack/A.Iguodala/ -- SF - L.James/J.Smith/E.Turner
PF - T.Young/J.Hickson/D.Cunningham -- C - D.Cousins/L.Sanders/
NikeTxGuy
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sacramento Kings Starting 5...

Postby jphanned » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:15 am

Thornton is already shaky as is guarding opposing 2's. Pitting him against stronger 3's would be disastrous.

The lineup combo I'd like Westphal to explore is...
PG - Jimmer
SG - Thornton
SF - Tyreke
PF - Hayes
C - Cousins
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Rounders Block wrote:The lineup combo I'd like Westphal to explore is...
PG - Jimmer
SG - Thornton
SF - Tyreke
PF - Hayes
C - Cousins

Scratch Hayes now, but I like your thinking for 1 thru 3. Westy has always been in love with offense so this just has to make sense! :-o
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:02 pm

He's going to need a lot of that offense to start those three on the wing. That's defensively poor to very poor at all three positions. Ouch. :-D Lotta zip offensively though, no dobt about that. Jimmer/Thornton is a great shooting back court pairing.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby zechs » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:53 am

Hayes is reportedly signing back in with the Kings. If so, then we are back at the logjam at frontcourt in addition to the backcourt logjam. Honestly, with Paul Westphal in charge, this team could become the Memphis Grizzlies 10-man rotation this season (remember those days when Hubie Brown was the coach of the Grizzlies?)

For fantasy I have made it a point to avoid drafting any Kings player, including Tyreke Evans, because of Westphal's antics. Westphal will have the 3-guard lineup for offense (Fredette-Evans-Thornton) but that should be about the only thing closest to consistent I would expect. Everything else is fair game including throwing a new starting 5 just for Westphal to make an emphasis on defense which he does on occasion coming out of halftime (yep all hope is not lost for you Donte Greene fans).

Evans is probably a lock in the starting 5 this season. Everyone else, keep an eye out for Westphal's wrath.
8-team 9-cat H2H league
PG- Conley SG- Batum G- Teague
SF- Durant PF- Nowitzki F- Garnett
C- Bosh,MGasol Util- Lowry,KMartin
BN- Pekovic,CParsons,JKidd
zechs
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Haha, zechs, Westphal was already on planning to play 11 guys most nights before the Hayes' signing. :-b
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby GoodOl'Days » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:04 pm

zechs wrote:Hayes is reportedly signing back in with the Kings. If so, then we are back at the logjam at frontcourt in addition to the backcourt logjam. Honestly, with Paul Westphal in charge, this team could become the Memphis Grizzlies 10-man rotation this season (remember those days when Hubie Brown was the coach of the Grizzlies?)

For fantasy I have made it a point to avoid drafting any Kings player, including Tyreke Evans, because of Westphal's antics. Westphal will have the 3-guard lineup for offense (Fredette-Evans-Thornton) but that should be about the only thing closest to consistent I would expect. Everything else is fair game including throwing a new starting 5 just for Westphal to make an emphasis on defense which he does on occasion coming out of halftime (yep all hope is not lost for you Donte Greene fans).

Evans is probably a lock in the starting 5 this season. Everyone else, keep an eye out for Westphal's wrath.

Cousins, Evans and Thornton seem to be exempt from playing time shenanigans. I labeled Evans a high injury risk so avoided him. I avoided Cousins in Roto. But Cousins in H2H and Thornton everywhere is looking pretty good to me. Thornton is a dominator. I have high hopes for him. 46%+ / 80% / 2 / 20 / 4.5 / 2.5 / 1.3 / 0.2 / =>2 for approximately 3rd round value.
Fantasy Sports Addict
GoodOl'Days
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby geodbear » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:12 pm

What's tough about Cousins even in h2h is that he's a big that hurts you in fg%. And while he's not a high injury risk like Evans, he's certainly a high bone-head risk. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he misses a game or two due to suspension, league or team.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 279)

Postby geodbear » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:53 am

geodbear wrote:What's tough about Cousins even in h2h is that he's a big that hurts you in fg%. And while he's not a high injury risk like Evans, he's certainly a high bone-head risk. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he misses a game or two due to suspension, league or team.

Bone-head risk FTL (statement from Paul Westphal):

“Whenever a new season begins, in any sport, there is great hope that everything will progress in only a steady, upward direction. As we all know, it seldom happens like that in this life!

As coaches, we can only ask that our players do everything they can to improve themselves as individuals and teammates. If they do this with all their hearts, we live with the results.

Everything that happens on a team does not become known to the public. This is how it should be. However, when a player continually, aggressively, lets it be known that he is unwilling/unable to embrace traveling in the same direction as his team, it cannot be ignored indefinitely.

DeMarcus Cousins has demanded to be traded. In the best interest of our team as we go forward, he has been directed by me, with the support of management, to stay home from the New Orleans game tonight.”

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/westphal_statement_2012_01_01.html

If you got him in a weekly league, better sit him next week
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 279)

Postby zechs » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:33 am

Hmm, no more Westphal... looks like there may be light at the end of the tunnel after all for your Kings players you drafted in fantasy leagues.
8-team 9-cat H2H league
PG- Conley SG- Batum G- Teague
SF- Durant PF- Nowitzki F- Garnett
C- Bosh,MGasol Util- Lowry,KMartin
BN- Pekovic,CParsons,JKidd
zechs
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting