Year 8 Info Here - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Bonanza Keeper

Year 8 Info Here

Moderators: geodbear, RedHopeful, silentjim

Re: 2011-2012 Draft Commentary

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:37 pm

I'm ok with it if we can come up with a mechanic that everyone likes.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bokzg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:I'm ok with it if we can come up with a mechanic that everyone likes.

What do you think of the following:

Eligibility:
  • Players become eligible to be placed on IR if they are either designated by Yahoo as injured with the red icon or there is a report that the player will be out at least two weeks due to injury.
  • Once an IR player returns to the court, their owner must remove them from their IR and add them to their roster within 1 week via the procedure discussed below. If the owner fails to do so, that player will become available to be added by anyone.
  • Players who will be out due to non-injury reasons, i.e. suspensions, will not be eligible for IR.

Designation:
  • Each team will have 2 IR slots.
  • Owners designate players as being on IR by making a post on the Yahoo league page. The post will include a list of all current IR players so that there will always be an updated list for everyone to refer to.
    Example: "<Team> is designating <Player> as an IR player. Current IR players: ....."
  • The other owners will have 24 hours to contest the designation by posting on the league page. If there are 4 or more objections, the designation will be disallowed.
  • After 24 hours, if there are less than three (3) objections and there has been no change in the players injured status, the designation will be complete and the owner can drop the designated player.
  • Once a player has been designated, no other owner can add that player to their roster as long as he remains on the IR.

Removal:
  • An owner can remove an IR player from one of their IR slots at any time.
  • To remove a player from the IR, the owner will make a post indicating that they are doing so and add the player. The post will include a list of all current IR players for the same reasons above.
    Example: "<Team> is removing <Player> from IR. Current IR players: ....."
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:49 pm

I think for eligibility we should stick with the Yahoo icon and pass on reports of 'x' length. If the guy is going to be out 3 weeks then Yahoo will add him and this way the mechanic remains inside the Y! game, which is probably more balanced. Plus we don't have to bicker about the validity of reports and whatnot. That also obviates the need for other GMs to contest things too since the guy either has the icon or he doesn't.

How are we going to monitor the removal of the injury icon and thus start the waiver clock for guys to re-add them? I sometimes miss that shizz with my own players for a day or two, never mind keeping tabs on the status of everyone else's. I think we'd be better off picking a day, like Sunday maybe, where everyone has to add back any now-uninjured players to their roster. That way we're all checking on the same day. That doesn't match the length of injuries exactly of course, but it means that any uninjured waiver guys are fair game on Monday morning, which is at least fairly clear and uncomplicated. There can be an appeal process for the odd case where a guy had the icon on Sunday and then loses it Monday morning too, for the odd time that's bound to pop up.

Keeping a thread on the league page to track this is probably the way to go. I think everyone posting a new IR move (add or drop) should copy and paste the whole list so that there's only ever the last post to look at. That thread could get unwieldy, but since it's only the last post that matters it should be fine.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bokzg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:10 pm

Sticking with the Yahoo icon works for me.

I like your idea of having a set day every week to check the IR list, and Sunday works since it's the last day of each fantasy week. However, I think that owners should have more than just one day to re-add players returning from injury. I don't think it'd be unreasonable to give them until the following Sat to pick them up, and it'd make it less likely that we'd have people failing to re-add a player due to being away from their computers for a few days.

A thread here is a good idea, but I remember how inactive people became on the forums once the season started last year and still think we should maintain posts in the league page as well regardless.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:33 am

Replacing plonden will be Dvauthrin. I remember he wanted to get in last season but it didn't fall through. Welcome David. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 703)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:27 am

bokzg wrote:A thread here is a good idea, but I remember how inactive people became on the forums once the season started last year and still think we should maintain posts in the league page as well regardless.

I meant on the Y! league page, not here, and I'd rather not have to update multiple threads if I don't have to. Leaving in the Y! interface as much as possible makes the most sense to me.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bokzg » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:54 am

Welcome Dvauthrin!
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Chiming in late, but I like the idea of an IR spot(s). If we were to do this, should we reduce the size of the bench on our active rosters? Either way, Jimmy or I will set up a vote in the near future.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 703)

Postby geodbear » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:06 pm

First, all the best to you Phil in law school.

Second, I think the IR should be structured so it would primarily be for players out for a long period of time. The icon is probably a good indicator but I've noticed that it isn't always accurate, but probably the best option for determining eligibility. In leagues I've been with IR, we've had a 3 or 5 consecutive games missed rule for eligibility. I would like to see something like that here. From experience, the main problems I've seen with IR is putting a player on IR before they were eligible, not picking up the player once the player is healthy, and mistakenly picking up a player on IR. These problems were mostly in large, deep leagues so I don't see a problem here but thought I'd mention it. Definitely should have a running list of IR players either here or on the Yahoo league page or both. Also, in leagues with IR, we've had a rule that if an IR player is no longer injured and remains on IR, the commissioner locks the manager from making any further roster moves until the player is picked up (done by the commissioner). Also to keep in mind, do IR add/drops count as part of our weekly add/drop limits?
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 278)

Postby plonden » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:35 pm

bokzg wrote:Hate to break it to you, but take it from me that your first year working won't leave you with an abundance of time for fantasy hoops. The amount of time I've been able to devote to FBB dropped in law school and continued to once I started working. Depends on the type of job you land, but I'm assuming that you'll do well in law school and get into a good (thus, demanding) firm

Haha, well I have been a paralegal for the past six years (of which I spent four years working in BigLaw) so I am most definitely going in with my eyes open. Thanks for the warning though!

geodbear wrote:First, all the best to you Phil in law school.

Thanks, George! I am looking forward to finally getting started!
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

PreviousNext

Return to Bonanza Keeper