Year 8 Info Here - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Bonanza Keeper

Year 8 Info Here

Moderator: jphanned

Re: 2011-2012 Draft Commentary

Postby bokzg » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:01 am

RedHopeful wrote:Chiming in late, but I like the idea of an IR spot(s). If we were to do this, should we reduce the size of the bench on our active rosters? Either way, Jimmy or I will set up a vote in the near future.

I'd be open to reducing the bench with the addition of IR spots, but think that it's something to think about more because the two aren't exactly interchangeable. It's my understanding that the larger bench was to help alleviate the problems with having keeper-quality players that weren't immediately valuable. However, people may want to stash players who have potential but are still learning the game, and those players would not be eligible for IR spots.

geodbear wrote:First, all the best to you Phil in law school.

Second, I think the IR should be structured so it would primarily be for players out for a long period of time. The icon is probably a good indicator but I've noticed that it isn't always accurate, but probably the best option for determining eligibility. In leagues I've been with IR, we've had a 3 or 5 consecutive games missed rule for eligibility. I would like to see something like that here. From experience, the main problems I've seen with IR is putting a player on IR before they were eligible, not picking up the player once the player is healthy, and mistakenly picking up a player on IR. These problems were mostly in large, deep leagues so I don't see a problem here but thought I'd mention it. Definitely should have a running list of IR players either here or on the Yahoo league page or both. Also, in leagues with IR, we've had a rule that if an IR player is no longer injured and remains on IR, the commissioner locks the manager from making any further roster moves until the player is picked up (done by the commissioner). Also to keep in mind, do IR add/drops count as part of our weekly add/drop limits?

Agree that it should be designed to help with players who are out for significant periods of time more than those who are missing a few games here and there.

I'm not sure if the 3 or 5 consecutive missed games rule is in reference to the number of games they're expected to miss or to the amount of games they have to miss before becoming eligible. If the former, there's a risk in that we'd have to rely on speculation and uncertainty with regards to whose speculation we would be relying on. If the latter, I'd be more inclined to make it 3 consecutive missed games max since it might be too restrictive and limit the usefulness of IR spots too much if we go any higher.

We can put in penalties for dropping a player before he becomes eligible. Maybe something like having to immediately drop the player they picked up (and having the commish reduce the waiver period) and having your roster locked for 14 days. If the player picked up was off of waivers, the offending person would not get their waiver priority restored.

With regards to picking up a player off the IR when they get healthy, I think that should be sufficiently dealth with by having the player become available for anyone to pick up after a number of days. I like the idea of locking the owner from any moves until they pick up the player coming off of IR, but don't know how that works logistically (wouldn't a lock prevent them from picking up the IR player?). As an alternative, we could force the owner to drop any players they add during the time they're supposed to be picking their IR player back up (a retroactive version of the lock) and put in a 14-day lock on them as well.

The same drop player, shorten waiver period, and 14-day lock can apply to people who pick up another person's IR player as well.

I see no reason to not have putting players on IR and removing them count against the add/drop limit. It's still a transaction and one more reason for people to be careful with their moves.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 102)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Nene » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Im back! Looking forward to using my rebuilt squad!!
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Nene » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Keeping Kenneth Faried instead of Brook Lopez. Thoughts??
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bokzg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Nene wrote:Keeping Kenneth Faried instead of Brook Lopez. Thoughts??

Gutsy. People's opinions vary quite a bit on how these two are going to do this coming season, so I don't think anyone can say it's a definite yes or no. Brook is more proven, but has to share with two perimeter stars for the first time. Faried is less proven, but blew up last season and seems to fit what the Nuggets are looking to do (i.e. outrun their opponents).
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bokzg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:40 pm

By the way, have we decided on a deadline for designating keepers? I would think it'd have to be soon, i.e. a couple of weeks, since we still need time for the draft.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ggs » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:33 pm

bokzg wrote:By the way, have we decided on a deadline for designating keepers? I would think it'd have to be soon, i.e. a couple of weeks, since we still need time for the draft.

need to get baseball outta my head!!
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 144)

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:38 pm

I just opened the league on Yahoo, so we should get some things going soon. Sorry for the delay guys. I've just been on the road for like the last month straight.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 632)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:42 pm

This year I think I'd still roll with Lopez as a keeper and look for Faried in the draft. :-?
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby bokzg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 pm

silentjim wrote:I just opened the league on Yahoo, so we should get some things going soon. Sorry for the delay guys. I've just been on the road for like the last month straight.

Np, real life takes precedence as always :)

Maybe have keeper deadline be in mid-Sept and the draft in early-Oct? Should probably have a check-in this week to see who's coming back and if we're going to need to find anymore replacements.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Check your e-mail to join the yahoo league if you haven't already!
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 632)

PreviousNext

Return to Bonanza Keeper