Marc Gasol/Rose -> Tyreke/Chandler/Shumpert - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Marc Gasol/Rose -> Tyreke/Chandler/Shumpert

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Marc Gasol/Rose -> Tyreke/Chandler/Shumpert

Postby yode » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:42 pm

This is a 12 team league H2H 9-Cat, and the trade above was just accepted. A couple team owners are complaining that they feel it is too lop-sided and should be vetoed. I said it should only be vetoed if there is obvious collusion involved or if the team giving up gasol/rose cannot make the playoffs (season just started so that point is moot), what do you guys think? They say Shumpert has no value, but I feel he has a starting gig for a fantasy friendly offense whether it be at PG or SG (when Baron returns) and plenty of playing time. Tyreke has been playing well as of late, and Chandler is consistent with boards/blocks/steals and decent pts. Marc Gasol is playing very well right now but some of it is due to Z-Bo's absence who will return in February. Rose is rose... hasn't been playing at a very high level at the moment but he is still gonna be consistent. So what are your guys' thoughts?
Last edited by yode on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
yode
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Marc Gasol/Rose -> Tyreke/Chandler/Shumpert

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:03 am

It's a bad trade for sure, but like you I hate vetoing almost anything. Here, since it's so borderline, I'd let the owners voices count. If the majority don't like it, veto it.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby JimJones » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 am

While I agree one side is probably being heavily favoured to win this deal, I disagree on the idea of it being put up for a vote. Like OP said, the deal should only be vetoed if there is collusion. A vote would probably be pointless because everyone would vote against this deal going through since one side is probably being heavily favoured. The deal should stand and should not vetoed. The team getting Rose and Marc has probably won this trade and the owner probably had to practice great negotiating skills to do so, and that's all part of being a good fantasy player.
9-cat, 12-team H2H league with playoffs.
10 starters, 3 bench players

G: R.Westbrook, G.Dragic, M.Conley, K.Lowry
F: K.Love, D.Nowitzki, A.Bargnani, J.Johnson, J.Dudley W. Chandler
C: D.Gooden, N.Pekovic, S.Dalembert
JimJones
College Captain
College Captain

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:22 am

JimJones wrote:While I agree one side is probably being heavily favoured to win this deal, I disagree on the idea of it being put up for a vote. Like OP said, the deal should only be vetoed if there is collusion. A vote would probably be pointless because everyone would vote against this deal going through since one side is probably being heavily favoured. The deal should stand and should not vetoed. The team getting Rose and Marc has probably won this trade and the owner probably had to practice great negotiating skills to do so, and that's all part of being a good fantasy player.

Absolutely on point. However, over the years, I've waned a bit on this. Some leagues just aren't comprised of very knowledgeable managers. Thus, it's not fair and not really being a good fantasy player simply because one manger succeeded in pulling off a steal of a deal. Up to the OP on deciding if he feels one guys lack of expertise was really taken advantage of or not.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby JimJones » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:41 am

I totally understand what you are saying about not having knowledgable managers in your league. However, if that is the case, I don't think the deal should be vetoed, but rather the commish needs to take action the following year to make sure he doesn't have managers who lack knowledge. That said, we don't know if the other manager is simply lacking knowledge or if he needed the combination of Tyreke, Chandler, or Shumpert. Sure, he could have gotten a lot more for Rose & Marc, but maybe he was desperate for the combination of Tyreke, Chandler, and Shumpert because they fit his strategy....

For example, if the team receiving Evans, Chandler, and Shumpert is focusing on all categories except for blocks, assists, and turnovers, these are the following rankings of the 5 players in the last 2 weeks, based on the categories that he is focusing on:

Evans is ranked 22nd over his last 9 games
Chandler is ranked 27th over his last 8 games
Shumpert is ranked 57th over his last 7 games

Rose is ranked 31st over his last 9 games
Marc is ranked 77th over his last 8 games

and just like that, the team punting blocks, assists, and turnovers could look like a genius.
9-cat, 12-team H2H league with playoffs.
10 starters, 3 bench players

G: R.Westbrook, G.Dragic, M.Conley, K.Lowry
F: K.Love, D.Nowitzki, A.Bargnani, J.Johnson, J.Dudley W. Chandler
C: D.Gooden, N.Pekovic, S.Dalembert
JimJones
College Captain
College Captain

Postby yode » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 am

JimJones wrote:I totally understand what you are saying about not having knowledgable managers in your league. However, if that is the case, I don't think the deal should be vetoed, but rather the commish needs to take action the following year to make sure he doesn't have managers who lack knowledge. That said, we don't know if the other manager is simply lacking knowledge or if he needed the combination of Tyreke, Chandler, or Shumpert. Sure, he could have gotten a lot more for Rose & Marc, but maybe he was desperate for the combination of Tyreke, Chandler, and Shumpert because they fit his strategy....

For example, if the team receiving Evans, Chandler, and Shumpert is focusing on all categories except for blocks, assists, and turnovers, these are the following rankings of the 5 players in the last 2 weeks, based on the categories that he is focusing on:

Evans is ranked 22nd over his last 9 games
Chandler is ranked 27th over his last 8 games
Shumpert is ranked 57th over his last 7 games

Rose is ranked 31st over his last 9 games
Marc is ranked 77th over his last 8 games

and just like that, the team punting blocks, assists, and turnovers could look like a genius.

very good point...
yode
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Return to Commissioner's Corner