Advice on League setup - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Advice on League setup

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Advice on League setup

Postby 21joeyb » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:21 pm

I run a espn 10 team league that has been going for 4 season. We have done ROTO every year except for this one because the majority of the owners wanted to switch. I personally did not like the H2H format. I think maybe some help from knowledgeable H2H commissioners I can better my league next year.

We had 10 teams with 15 man rosters.
I had a basic 9 category(FG,FT,3PTM,REB,STEALS,ASSISTS,BLOCKS,POINTS,&TO) setup.
Each matchup was 1 week with no max number of games played.
Win and Loss was scored per category so a team could potentially get 9 wins per week.
FA was processed once a week auction style in reverse order of standings being the tie breaker.

We had 8 solid owners(if anyone would be interested for next year I'd love to get some active owners)

I liked how free agency worked out with the auction once a week. But I didn't like not having a cap on games played per week.

I am just looking for advice to make my league better next year. I know it's early but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
21joeyb
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Advice on League setup

Postby silentjim » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Did you set your lineups daily or did you set your lineups weekly?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby 21joeyb » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Daily...i didn't want to lock the lineups at the beginning of the week just in case someone got hurt you would be stuck with an injured player the whole week...does it run smoother locking the lineup at the beginning of the week??
21joeyb
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby silentjim » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm not an advocate of the weekly lineups, I just wanted to make sure that I understood what you were asking.

Obviously based on schedules and teams that are playing that week and injuries, you can get outplayed from week to week in games played, which isn't something you can control too much outside of drafting from different teams and multi-position eligible players.

To stop people from streaming, IE picking someone up and then dropping them to only get that one game played to maxmize games played, I would simply limit the number of moves per week to something between 3-5. You can also just have a max moves per season move, but you'll find this doesn't really curtail streaming too much and someone in the playoffs could have a ton of moves left and essentially stream themselves into a championship, which is also annoying.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 21joeyb » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Well Free Agency is only processes once a week. So Monday morning at 11 the auction occurs an you can't pick anyone up until your current matchup is over the following Monday...
21joeyb
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby silentjim » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Not sure anyone offers a max games played per week. I think that's kind of the point. You weigh the options of a crappier playing playing 4 games and a better player playing 3 and a great player playing 2.

I think someone might have mentioned at some point that some leagues might be offering average stats, but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen that.
silentjim

Postby 21joeyb » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Well I appreciate your help...and if anyone else out there has any advice I'd like to hear it to make my league better
21joeyb
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Return to Commissioner's Corner