2012-13 Sleepers - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

2012-13 Sleepers

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

2012-13 Sleepers

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Time to start preparing for the upcoming season so let's talk sleepers in this section. Which guy(s) do you think will provide significantly better value than where current projections/expert rankings have them?
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2012-13 Sleepers

Postby silentjim » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Evan Turner should pay nice dividends even if starts creeping up peoples boards. He has a nice combination of stats and is being given the starting SF spot.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby phx_2008_champs » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Kenneth Faried is one of the more talked-about sleepers for this year now that Harrington has been moved out of Denver. I'm on the bandwagon and will be more than happy to spend a 6th-7th round pick on him this year...he produced 8th round value last year as a rookie with just 22.5 minutes per game.
phx_2008_champs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Muharem23 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:20 pm

phx_2008_champs wrote:Kenneth Faried is one of the more talked-about sleepers for this year now that Harrington has been moved out of Denver. I'm on the bandwagon and will be more than happy to spend a 6th-7th round pick on him this year...he produced 8th round value last year as a rookie with just 22.5 minutes per game.

There's no way I consider Faried a sleeper this year... Last year I drafted him when no one knew who he was. Kinda remembered the headline from when he broke the rebounding record in college and liked his energy... This year there's just waaaaaaayyyy too much hype around Faried. If anything, in most leagues people will overpay for Faried...

I actually think Quincy Acy who was drafted by the Raptors can be this years Faried if he gets better on the defensive end rebounding wise. He has the athleticism and energy to do it all, he's really efficient (FG% and FT%) but needs to get a little bigger so he can keep playing PF...

Mind you I play in very deep leagues.... So Acy is a bottom of the barrel pick... ;-D
Commissioner of all "Super ... Hardcore" fantasy leagues.
I have dibs on Lakers in NBA 2K13!!!
Muharem23
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 am

Agree that Faried isn't going to be a sleeper in most leagues. Fully expect him to have one of the larger hype trains coming into the year.

Since it's early, I'll venture a guess on someone - Anthony Morrow. Someone has to replace JJohnson and Marvin Williams and is at least taller than a typical PG. Can't hurt Atlanta is his hometown either.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Muharem23 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:12 am

I'll disagree.... Don't think Morrow will be the one filling the void left by Joe Johnson. I believe that will be Lou Williams. He has proven he can score in bunches. Morrow will be what he has always been... A guy that just shoots a bunch of 3's....
Muharem23
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Postby geodbear » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 am

RedHopeful wrote:Since it's early, I'll venture a guess on someone - Anthony Morrow. Someone has to replace JJohnson and Marvin Williams and is at least taller than a typical PG. Can't hurt Atlanta is his hometown either.

Atlanta is lacking at SF but Morrow is more natural at SG. I guess he and Korver could share the SF position. Lou Williams, though undersized, should get the bulk of the SG minutes and might be the go to guy. Harris would back up PG and SG. But putting Smith & Horford at the 4 & 5 along with Williams & Morrow at the 2 & 3 would make the Hawks completely undersized. They could shift Smith & Horford to the 3 & 4 and play Pachulia/Petro at the 5. Oh, the Hawks have DeShawn Stevenson - not sure how he fits. Thinking about it, I don't know if anyone will be the dominant scorer on that team.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)

Postby Muharem23 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:36 pm

The Hawks actually have one of the rookies that's on my sleepers list: John Jenkins from Vanderbilt. I believe he's one of the rookies that, if given the chance, can put up some really solid numbers. During the NBA draft i jotted his name down for a reason. With the jumper that he has he should have no problem coming in and contributing right away...

I do think that it all depends on how many minutes he will get, and how the timeshare between Teague/Harris and Williams/Morrow will play out...
Muharem23
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Muharem23 wrote:I'll disagree.... Don't think Morrow will be the one filling the void left by Joe Johnson. I believe that will be Lou Williams. He has proven he can score in bunches. Morrow will be what he has always been... A guy that just shoots a bunch of 3's....

Well, it's not going to be one guy replacing the two recent departees. I agree Lou Williams and his chucking ways will eat up a good deal of that pie. However, that pie is large enough as to where others will be fantasy relevant and one of them could be Morrow who will undoubtedly be ranked much lower than Sweet Lou.

Granted I'm just musing right now as I really haven't given fantasy values much thought yet alone any kind of rankings, but the opportunity is there. If you consider Teague, Smith and Horford as 3 of the starters, what are you sorely missing? Outside shooting. Sure Lou can make some shots but is it optimal to have an undersized shoot-first SG out there starting with those guys? I'd rather bank on the fact that Morrow is away from Avery Johnson and his efficiency returns with a fresh start. Remember that is what is so appealing with Morrow - hitting a ton of threes w/o denting the %'s and TO's.

In watching John Jenkins in summer league, I don't think he'll make an immediate impact. The guy showed he could shoot but that was it. He's still got to learn all the other facets and that could take a bit of time.
RedHopeful

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 am

Does Klay Thompson qualify? Great numbers once Monta got traded, can't count on Curry/Bogut staying healthy and Barnes is still just a rookie.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers