Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby jphanned » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:31 pm

RedHopeful wrote:What a difference a year makes. Everyone remembers how early Blake Griffin was drafted last year, but I still fear he'll go too early in most leagues. Matt/Justin/other rankers, where do you guys have him on your board? (provided he has no setbacks with his most recent knee surgery)

I don't see a huge difference in his value from where we were a season ago, to be honest. His numbers were generally down across the board -- including a huge step back in his FT% -- and his ceiling is still limited by those middling defensive numbers. We saw a sizable bump in his FG%, mainly because CP3 spoon-fed him on so many occasions, but that's about it. Another guy whose rank can range from one spectrum to another (top-20 in H2H formats if you punt FT%, top-70 in ROTO where you have to dig yourself out of a hole).
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 333)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:34 pm

I have him ranked at 63 right now, but that's a primarily roto ranking and I'd go higher for HtH and much higher for 8 cat play.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Good pick barrec. ;-D If McGee had been off the board, I was going to nab Deng.

As far as Boozer, I hear what you're saying Justin but you don't think that offense won't get too sluggish (for the better lack of a word)? Teams won't have Rose to key on so they can now really look to stop CHI's other weapons. Boozer's usage will probably go up but at what cost to his efficiency?
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:34 pm

Rounders Block wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:What a difference a year makes. Everyone remembers how early Blake Griffin was drafted last year, but I still fear he'll go too early in most leagues. Matt/Justin/other rankers, where do you guys have him on your board? (provided he has no setbacks with his most recent knee surgery)

I don't see a huge difference in his value from where we were a season ago, to be honest. His numbers were generally down across the board -- including a huge step back in his FT% -- and his ceiling is still limited by those middling defensive numbers. We saw a sizable bump in his FG%, mainly because CP3 spoon-fed him on so many occasions, but that's about it. Another guy whose rank can range from one spectrum to another (top-20 in H2H formats if you punt FT%, top-70 in ROTO where you have to dig yourself out of a hole).

Completely agree, but last year the guy carried so much hype that it made even some experts reach on him. :-b

Was just thinking that in a 'better players league', he could actually represent a bit of value if that new shooting coach of his has a couple of small breakthroughs. O:-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jphanned » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:35 pm

barrec wrote:Deng will suffer without Rose on the court. An article on Bleacher Report states he was shooting 41% before Rose's injury, and dropped to 34% after. Without the maestro distributor, as well as someone the opposing defense keys into, Deng's production will be hampered. I am sure efficiency will be down without Rose, however he may benefit from extra minutes on the court. 2012-2013 could be the story of two season for the Bulls - with and without Rose - and Deng, et al might be a worthy investment for a payoff late in the season when the offense hits its stride.

Deng shot 42% with Rose on the court and 41% with him off. Good 'ol Bleacher Report. Drop had more to do with fatigue and his wrist injury than anything.

RedHopeful wrote:As far as Boozer, I hear what you're saying Justin but you don't think that offense won't get too sluggish (for the better lack of a word)? Teams won't have Rose to key on so they can now really look to stop CHI's other weapons. Boozer's usage will probably go up but at what cost to his efficiency?

Perhaps, but the gains in other areas will more than make up for it. FWIW, Boozer played 902 of his 1948 minutes with Rose off the court last season. Shot 54%, compared to 52.4% with Rose on.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 333)

Postby mbuser » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:36 pm

Don't forget about Deng's wrist - that was the real reason for his shooting woes, and he shot 31% from the field and 20% from 3pt in the Olympics. He's opted against surgery.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1979 ... y-on-wrist
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:43 pm

mbuser wrote:Don't forget about Deng's wrist - that was the real reason for his shooting woes, and he shot 31% from the field and 20% from 3pt in the Olympics. He's opted against surgery.

Ah good point guys. ;-D Forgot all about the wrist injury that never got fixed (yikes - I know defenses keyed on him in the Olympics but that's beyond abysmal).

This brings up another decent concern then - what if CHI kind of flounders playing .500 ball and Deng's wrist either bothers him or gets hurt again. Have to legitimately believe he might then opt for surgery. Suddenly, I'm not all that keen on any of the Bulls...
RedHopeful

Postby geodbear » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:00 am

mbuser wrote:Don't forget about Deng's wrist - that was the real reason for his shooting woes, and he shot 31% from the field and 20% from 3pt in the Olympics. He's opted against surgery.

The wrist and that he opted against surgery was definitely why I hadn't been considering Deng. It seemed like it was still affecting him during the Olympics, so I'm not sure if he'll get enough rest. He could very well aggravate it and then have to have surgery during the season.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 219)

Postby barrec » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:06 am

Ah, color me ignorant. I hadn't read anything recently about his wrist and focused only how Rose's injury affects Deng, rather than his own wrist. That certainly lowers his floor, and I am with Red - I don't trust any of the marquee Bulls players. I imagine you can get some good value out of typical reserves getting more minutes than over before, but if they aren't winning, why risk more injury to a fragile starting line up?
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:06 am

Any thoughts on Lin in the 6th? I think that sounds like a fair spot for him right now, really late 6th/early 7th but think this mock has been over drafting point guards at every turn really so had to reach there.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft