Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby jphanned » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:01 pm

mbuser wrote:I hadn't heard that and frankly it doesn't make sense to me. But obviously Faried is downgraded if he's not starting.

Starter or no starter, I don't buy this big bump in minutes. I expect Karl to roll with the dual-PG look quite often, a lineup that features a frontcourt of Iggy, Gallo & McGee. He's trying to run, run, and run some more, and we'll see less of that traditional lineup with Iggy at SG in favor of him sizing down.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mbuser » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:17 pm

I definitely agree with that. Anyone expecting a "big bump" in minutes isn't looking at things clearly.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Rounders Block wrote:I expect Karl to roll with the dual-PG look quite often, a lineup that features a frontcourt of Iggy, Gallo & McGee.

Agreed. In all honesty, I expect minutes for most of the players to fluctuate considerably from game to game (outside of Lawson, Iggy and probably Gallo). Thanks to the Nugget's style of play, player values will still be good but a number of ceilings will be capped.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Rounders Block wrote:I expect Karl to roll with the dual-PG look quite often

Nuggets were far better with Andre Miller at 2 than at the 1 - at 2 +8.0 per 48 mins and +1.1 when played the point.

David Locke Twitter

Also interesting to see him list how Iggy was one of the league's least clutch players. Personally I feel a big part of it is due to Doug Collins ability to run a good offense and have to expect Karl would at least give Iggy a fair shake.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:51 pm

The flip side of that argument is that Faried is the best big on the squad for a running game and it's not even close. He destroyed dudes getting up and down the court last year and McGee is really the only guy who's even close. Mozgov is good but he's not a gazelle getting up and down the court. I'm expecting something in the 27-30mpg range for Faried.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby jphanned » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:45 am

Love the pace guys. Had a bit of a hiccup early, but we've booked 81 picks in the last nine days. Almost a round a day. 8-o
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Way too early for Hamilton imo. He'll help fill the scoring void .. in the games he actually plays when not hurt. He won't shoot as well minus Rose, doesn't get 3's or steals, just don't see the upside to take him here.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:14 pm

The sample of Rip last season w/o Rose on the court is actually quite encouraging, if small. That said, I have at least three or four guys on my board that I probably would have taken at SG over Rip at this point.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:14 pm

silentjim wrote:My team is looking gritty which I like

:-D

Wish I could be as optimistic as you GP regarding Felton, but I don't see the upside. Even if his conditioning is good and thus his play far improved over last years disaster, I still envision a timeshare with Kidd. Jason wasn't brought to NY to simply be a cheerleader. Besides, he's a better fit considering all the offensive weapons (Smith, Anthony, Stoudemire) and lack of overall team defense.
RedHopeful

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Felton is a better point guard defender than 39 year old Kidd, that's why he'll get his minutes. I think Kidd will get lots of time at shooting guard, he does a better job on shooting guards these days and Smith is the guy who plays no defense there. I could see Kidd starting over JR there since Shump won't be back until midseason and JR has been better off the bench.

I'm thinking something like this until Shump is back -

PG: Felton 32/Kidd 16
SG: Kidd 12/JR Smith 24/Brewer 12

Who knows how Prigioni plays here, if at all. Felton's minutes could be unchanged when Shump gets back if Smith ends up getting backup time at SF. Brewer becomes the new Balkman at that point and is a nonfactor.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft