Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby dcdoorknob » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:24 pm

geodbear wrote:Curious what others think of my Billups pick. I think this is about the right place to draft him, but in a keep league I'm in, he was drafted in the 5th round, but that's after 5 keepers so still about 10th round equivalent (we have 13 teams and some young keeper rules).

Last I read (which was just after you picked him :)) is that he isn't really expected to be ready for the start of the season, but should be back sometime in November.

I don't think it was a bad pick, but I wouldn't want to be taking him much sooner than this either.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:DJ's defense is beyond abysmal though. Hard to stay on the floor at that point...

Agree, I see Augustin as a PG who gets minutes on bad teams but put him in a real system and his time gets cut drastically.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:40 pm

dcdoorknob wrote:
geodbear wrote:Curious what others think of my Billups pick. I think this is about the right place to draft him, but in a keep league I'm in, he was drafted in the 5th round, but that's after 5 keepers so still about 10th round equivalent (we have 13 teams and some young keeper rules).

Last I read (which was just after you picked him :)) is that he isn't really expected to be ready for the start of the season, but should be back sometime in November.

I don't think it was a bad pick, but I wouldn't want to be taking him much sooner than this either.

Agreed. Even if Billups comes back strong, this is a deeper Clippers team so they won't need to (or want to) rely on him as much as last year. If they're smart, they'll closely monitor his minutes to make sure he's around for the playoffs.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Just a heads up, I might have RB make at least a few of my picks next week if Isaac happens to continue its present course. Would expect to be w/o power for at least 24 hours if a Hurricane 2 hits.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mbuser » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Billups will likely miss camp and the preseason. He was 115 in per-game last season and I can't see it improving post-injury. For one thing, I can see his FTA dipping, and that's his value crutch.

I like the Collison pick, although I do think 15 pts as the 4th option (at best) is asking a bit much. Maybe this is the season that he puts his three-point shot to use, though.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby mbuser » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:49 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Just a heads up, I might have RB make at least a few of my picks next week if Isaac happens to continue its present course. Would expect to be w/o power for at least 24 hours if a Hurricane 2 hits.

Stay safe and above sea level, bud
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:24 pm

mbuser wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Just a heads up, I might have RB make at least a few of my picks next week if Isaac happens to continue its present course. Would expect to be w/o power for at least 24 hours if a Hurricane 2 hits.

Stay safe and above sea level, bud

Thank you Matt and that won't be a problem. After having gone through the Katrina debacle, we wisely picked a house in Mobile that is among the highest of local elevations. :-°

Currently hoping that the American model proves to be correct (supposedly storm goes west of New Orleans) over the Euro model (headed right for us). :-o
RedHopeful

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:27 am

Ditto, stay safe. I lived in Houston for a few years, moved there just a few weeks before Ike hit. :-t
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby plonden » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:31 am

I've been lurking and enjoying the mock thus far, gentlemen. Keep up the good work.

It looks like Isaac is headed your way, Oleh. Be safe my friend!
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 51)

Postby dcdoorknob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:41 am

Evan Turner is an interesting case to me. Real life potential is there, but he seems to have some fantasy line-similarities to Beasley (not a good thing), in that he doesn't hit that many 3s or steal or block at high enough rates to really help you, and the %s aren't going to help either, and the TOs are a bit higher than you'd like. So what is left, even if the points/rebs/assists increase, is still a somewhat underwhelming fantasy player to me unless a few of those other things change somehow too. I put in BBM the specific dates where he started and was playing like 33 mpg, and he was still 146th in 9 cat value over that stretch.

Sometimes the young guys overcome these fantasy shortcomings to varying degrees as they improve, and maybe Turner will too, and I'm not saying it's a bad pick at this point (he'll often go higher than that I expect), just that I'll be interested to see how it ends up turning out for him. For the most part I expect to find out while he's on other people's teams for the time being though.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 72)

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft