Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby silentjim » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:45 pm

dcdoorknob wrote:Evan Turner is an interesting case to me. Real life potential is there, but he seems to have some fantasy line-similarities to Beasley (not a good thing), in that he doesn't hit that many 3s or steal or block at high enough rates to really help you, and the %s aren't going to help either, and the TOs are a bit higher than you'd like. So what is left, even if the points/rebs/assists increase, is still a somewhat underwhelming fantasy player to me unless a few of those other things change somehow too. I put in BBM the specific dates where he started and was playing like 33 mpg, and he was still 146th in 9 cat value over that stretch.

Sometimes the young guys overcome these fantasy shortcomings to varying degrees as they improve, and maybe Turner will too, and I'm not saying it's a bad pick at this point (he'll often go higher than that I expect), just that I'll be interested to see how it ends up turning out for him. For the most part I expect to find out while he's on other people's teams for the time being though.

I'll actually agree with this. I think my hope for his my more gut based, which is a little scary. That being said, if you watched him play at the end of the season and in the playoffs you can tell he just creates for himself and causes odd match-ups with his unique ability. Beasley has always had intelligence and work ethic issues, where Turner has never been questioned from a hustle stand point. I'm comfortable having him be a UTIL player and subbing in someone else if necessary for now.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 633)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks for all the concern guys. Looking more like it's just going to be a big rain event in my neighborhood. Feeling for New Orleans right now. Can't believe Isaac is going to hit 7 years to the day of Katrina. Actually seems like a lifetime ago to me.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:19 pm

:-°

Glad Stuckey got picked before my turn. Didn't want to feel "forced" in drafting him at this point of the draft. That said, it's a good pick due to Detroit's uninspiring roster. Someone has to put up numbers besides Monroe so a slightly healthier and improved Stuckey could very well be the ticket.

:-D

@GP for drafting the Felton/Kidd handcuff. O:-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby jphanned » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:24 pm

RedHopeful wrote: :-D

@GP for drafting the Felton/Kidd handcuff. O:-)

%-6
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:02 pm

Kidd actually made sense even without the handcuff - 3's and assists are where I'm lagging and my FG% should be pretty strong after drafting guys like Bosh, West, and DLee. Jameer's just too inefficient to draft - high turnovers, no steals, and will definitely be chucking shots this year. Like I said earlier, I expect Kidd to see some time at SG so he should get in the 25-28 mpg range. His 11-12 line is actually not bad from the 10th round.

I've already been through Ariza/Derozan many times also, no thanks.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bokzg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:20 am

Just wanted to pop in again and say that I like the following picks:

E.Gordon 4.08 - Played pretty well at the end of last season, seems healthy now, and always plays hard. He is the only established star on the team and will certainly be asked to shoulder a heavy offensive load with the youth around him. He's put up 2nd round numbers before and appears poised to do so again.

B.Lopez 5.05 - The Nets gave him a big contract, so it stands to reason that they expect big things from him. With two great perimeter stars to keep opposing defenses off of him and create for him, I see a great opportunity for him to score very efficiently and improve his production in other areas of his game that have dropped off since his rookie year (i.e. rebounds and blocks). He's also shown 2nd round production before, and think it's very reasonable to expect 3rd-4th round value this year. I'm also a sucker for PF/C's.

A.Afflalo 7.08 - He produced quite well last season after taking on a larger offensive load, and any real life drop off did not appear to affect his numbers. He's going to a team that will need him to do a lot, so the opportunity will certainly be there. Fully expect his efficiency to drop, but find it hard to believe it will be enough to drop him to 7th round value or less.

Mo.Williams 7.12 - He's going to be itching to perform well after being pushed to the bench by CP3 last season. His perimeter scoring makes him a great complement to the talented frontcourt the Jazz has, and the only other viable PG option they have is Watson. I think he easily exceeds 7th round value.

Z.Randolph 8.01 - Last season showed the Grizzlies that they need Z-Bo if they're going to be serious contenders, and he'll be itching to show he's still the star of the team after being limited all last year. He is only a year removed from putting up 20/12 with largely the same roster, and showed glimpses of it in the playoffs last year. I think he easily exceed 8th round value and could be a huge steal here.

A.Kirilenko 9.02 - He looked great playing for Russia in a facilitating, opportunistic scoring role that seems perfect for MIN. He'll be joined by fellow Russian Shved, who he showed great chemistry with, and his help defense is sorely needed on that roster. I think he easily exceeds the 9th round, and would only be held back by injuries.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 102)

Postby jphanned » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:11 am

So now that everyone has filled out their starting lineups and we have a pretty good idea of how each team looks, who are some of your early favorites?
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)

Postby mbuser » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:22 am

I like the Asik and Frye picks at this stage.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby barrec » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:34 am

SilentJim's roster stands out to me. I like the mix of sustained production and possible breakout players. I like Batum, Bynum, Nene and Nelson a lot.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:03 pm

barrec wrote:SilentJim's roster stands out to me. I like the mix of sustained production and possible breakout players. I like Batum, Bynum, Nene and Nelson a lot.

Nene? He's been dealing with plantar fasciitis since March and with his long injury history, I'm weary of touching him this year.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft