Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
barrec wrote:SilentJim's roster stands out to me. I like the mix of sustained production and possible breakout players. I like Batum, Bynum, Nene and Nelson a lot.


Nene? He's been dealing with plantar fasciitis since March and with his long injury history, I'm weary of touching him this year.


I got good value on him I think though, so I can't complain. I know no one thinks there team will stink, but I'm pretty confident my team won't be in the bottom half if we played this out.

I actually like most of the teams we've drafted so far. Maybe it's early in the drafting process, but I'm really excited for the depth this season. There are definitely some guys in the 8th-10th rounds who could pay huge dividends.
Image
silentjim
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11523
(Past Year: 565)
Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless.

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:50 pm

silentjim wrote:I know no one thinks there team will stink, but I'm pretty confident my team won't be in the bottom half if we played this out.

When was the last time we did this? Back in 2009?
Image
RedHopeful
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18252
(Past Year: 603)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: http://twitter.com/Redhopeful

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:10 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
silentjim wrote:I know no one thinks there team will stink, but I'm pretty confident my team won't be in the bottom half if we played this out.

When was the last time we did this? Back in 2009?


Was it that long ago? Time flies I guess. :-D
Image
silentjim
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11523
(Past Year: 565)
Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless.

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby barrec » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:38 pm

silentjim wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
barrec wrote:SilentJim's roster stands out to me. I like the mix of sustained production and possible breakout players. I like Batum, Bynum, Nene and Nelson a lot.


Nene? He's been dealing with plantar fasciitis since March and with his long injury history, I'm weary of touching him this year.


I got good value on him I think though, so I can't complain. I know no one thinks there team will stink, but I'm pretty confident my team won't be in the bottom half if we played this out.

I actually like most of the teams we've drafted so far. Maybe it's early in the drafting process, but I'm really excited for the depth this season. There are definitely some guys in the 8th-10th rounds who could pay huge dividends.


Excellent point which I neglected to make - the draft seems very deep indeed. Obviously not everyone can have monster seasons, but it's hard not to feel good about any of the starting line up picks.

Re: Nene, I still like the value/upside of the pick even with injury issues.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 422
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Gresham, OR

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby mbuser » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 pm

This is the fifth mock I've been involved in and it's been the same story every time: the middle rounds are packed with so many good options that it can be hard to choose between them. "Good value on ______" has been a common refrain.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3860
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 21 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:29 pm

mbuser wrote:This is the fifth mock I've been involved in and it's been the same story every time: the middle rounds are packed with so many good options that it can be hard to choose between them. "Good value on ______" has been a common refrain.

I swear this is the case almost every year. Optimism abound!
Image
RedHopeful
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18252
(Past Year: 603)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: http://twitter.com/Redhopeful

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Yeah, the teams all look pretty good at this point, although from top to bottom I like Jim's the best as well. A lot of teams have upside guys at PG2 and PF/C and I think that those picks will tilt the field in a lot of leagues. I like Buser's team a lot too because he's got great PG play and still has decent bigs. Rounder's team has a of guys I like on it too.

That's actually about where my team analysis is at this point - how many of the guys I've targeted did you draft? :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6327
(Past Year: 261)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby barrec » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:53 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:That's actually about where my team analysis is at this point - how many of the guys I've targeted did you draft? :-b


;-D
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 422
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Gresham, OR

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby jay_00 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Alotta the teams look well balanced, so im sure most feel confident about the teams they drafted. If theres no major injuries or trades in nba from here to the preseason, who votes on playing it out? I'd like to see for sure.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 449
(Past Year: 44)
Joined: 9 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Are we talking set it and forget it or are we talking about a league we actually have to manage? I really don't have the time to manage another team on top of the eight I'm currently committed too. :-S If it's set it and forget it then I'm in.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6327
(Past Year: 261)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues



Get Ready...
The 2014 NBA season starts in 23:05 hours
(and 57 days)


  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact