Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 am

Yeah, no interest in managing a august drafted team.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 am

Yeah, in 2009, I set up a league at fantrax. No waiver adds, 82 games limit and only roster changes with your bench slots. Could set it up again if everyone is interested. For those who care, RB edged out Samo by a point.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:15 am

If there's no drop adds I suppose it's ok.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby mbuser » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:35 am

No interest in adding a league to manage in any capacity. That said, we'll have the final draft results saved here, and we can just as easily add up stats at the end of the season and see how it shakes out.

*edit* If you are going to set up a league at fantrax with no add/drops, just make the BN spots UTIL instead and let it ride :-D
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:45 am

mbuser wrote:No interest in adding a league to manage in any capacity. That said, we'll have the final draft results saved here, and we can just as easily add up stats at the end of the season and see how it shakes out.

*edit* If you are going to set up a league at fantrax with no add/drops, just make the BN spots UTIL instead and let it ride :-D

I'm a fan. ;-D

Would also be interesting to see who consistently squeezed out the best value, etc.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dcdoorknob » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:28 am

How many rounds are we going, anyways? I noticed RB's roster template (which I assume everyone else copy/pasted) had 16 spots, so is it 16 rounds? Or are we doing a more normal sized 13 or 14 round draft?

As for the 'set it & forget it' league ideas, I"m ok with it. The only thing is, if all bench spots are set to count, it could hurt owners that go with 'risky but with potential' type later round picks, which are often fine in a real league since you can always just pick up someone off waivers in-season if they don't pan out. In a league like this if you're locked in to that guy's stats all year (even if he busts/doesn't get minutes, etc), it just changes things a bit, perhaps in favor of the 'solid but unspectacular and very limited upside' type picks.

EDIT: not that I'd really change how I'm going to draft, I'll just pretend it's a real league and make my best decision based on that, but the above paragraph was just theoretically...
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 77)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Yeah, switch bench for UTL and I'm in. I just don't want to have to do anything. :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:01 pm

We've stalled out like Isaac over Louisiana. ;-7
RedHopeful

Postby jphanned » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 pm

dcdoorknob wrote:How many rounds are we going, anyways? I noticed RB's roster template (which I assume everyone else copy/pasted) had 16 spots, so is it 16 rounds? Or are we doing a more normal sized 13 or 14 round draft?

As for the 'set it & forget it' league ideas, I"m ok with it. The only thing is, if all bench spots are set to count, it could hurt owners that go with 'risky but with potential' type later round picks, which are often fine in a real league since you can always just pick up someone off waivers in-season if they don't pan out. In a league like this if you're locked in to that guy's stats all year (even if he busts/doesn't get minutes, etc), it just changes things a bit, perhaps in favor of the 'solid but unspectacular and very limited upside' type picks.

EDIT: not that I'd really change how I'm going to draft, I'll just pretend it's a real league and make my best decision based on that, but the above paragraph was just theoretically...

Yeah we've always gone a bit deeper in these Cafe mocks - 16 rounds. Good practice for those of us in the BOSF. :-)

I'm OK with all of us just creating secondary Y! ID's (or doing it on Fantrax), registering our teams, then just leaving it for it to play out. I'd just lock all rosters so teams are frozen and there are no add/drops. There'd be some problems with the accuracy portion though. For those in favor of letting it ride and counting bench players as UTIL, what about injured guys like Rubio who were drafted to be stashed? Or what about those who drafted injury-prone players (Steph) and factored in replacement-level production into their draft decision? I don't want this whole idea of playing it to start influencing/affecting who guys take the rest of the way. Maybe better to just leave it be and use the eye test to evaluate down the road. Or just use BBM to add up stats.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby mbuser » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Rounders Block wrote:I don't want this whole idea of playing it to start influencing/affecting who guys take the rest of the way. Maybe better to just leave it be and use the eye test to evaluate down the road. Or just use BBM to add up stats.

I agree with this.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft