Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Rounders Block wrote:Maybe better to just leave it be and use the eye test to evaluate down the road. Or just use BBM to add up stats.

Yep, this is my vote. Don't want another league where I have to monitor something as simple as my bench but don't feel it's fair to count all bench spots as UTIL (considering the number of teams that decided to draft and stash).
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:34 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Rounders Block wrote:Maybe better to just leave it be and use the eye test to evaluate down the road. Or just use BBM to add up stats.

Yep, this is my vote. Don't want another league where I have to monitor something as simple as my bench but don't feel it's fair to count all bench spots as UTIL (considering the number of teams that decided to draft and stash).

No, it wouldn't affect the rest if the mock. Let's just shelve the whole idea until we're done drafting.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby jphanned » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:No, it wouldn't affect the rest if the mock. Let's just shelve the whole idea until we're done drafting.

It would though. If we were to let it ride, it'd make a lot more sense to draft a boring vet who you know will stay in the rotation and play 75+ games. With boom/bust types you'd have to actually face the consequence of them not panning out (if we managed our teams it wouldn't matter, because you could just cut your losses and move onto the next FA). The more I think about it, the less I think playing it out without us managing our teams would reflect their value. Either we manage on a day-to-day basis or not do it all, and I don't want to add another team to the many I'm already in line to do.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:56 pm

What I meant to say was that it wouldn't do to have it effect the rest of the mock. I'm not sure how I managed to leave that out (since it would obviously influence the rest of the mock).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:49 am

Nicely done guys. Having done this a few times, it's always a fun experience.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:07 am

Sneaky pick by geodbear with Shved? After watching him in the Olympics, I was surprised by his scoring mentality. A taller but lankier Jeremy Lin? Didn't seem to be a great passer or outside shooter, was turnover prone but good around the basket. Once Rubio gets back, could Shved steal important minutes from Ridnour?
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jphanned » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:24 am

RedHopeful wrote:Sneaky pick by geodbear with Shved? After watching him in the Olympics, I was surprised by his scoring mentality. A taller but lankier Jeremy Lin? Didn't seem to be a great passer or outside shooter, was turnover prone but good around the basket. Once Rubio gets back, could Shved steal important minutes from Ridnour?

Love Shved's game but didn't like the pick at all. Don't see him getting major run with the Wolves next year, and his game isn't exactly fantasy friendly.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby So-Tex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:57 am

DAMN! Had to go back a ways and catch up with all the reading - stopped getting email notices on this thread, so I figured I'd catch up (since I've FINALLY got a breather! :-° ). Lots of good stuff going through all the posts, though. I'll try to make it more of a habit to chime in (in other words, put my foot in my mouth! :-b ).

Regarding Shved, I agree with RB, but more for the fact that I think Ridnour will stay solid for that team. I'll be honest though, I didn't get to watch too much Olympic play, even Team USA, so I can't base it on what I've seen or not seen. But I do know what Rubio can do, and I know if he comes back mid-season at close to 100%, Ridnour's probably back to coming off the bench. As it is, he may be on the trading block anyway (if what I've been reading lately is correct). So the T-Wolves may be content in giving him serious run during the first half of the season, then just before the trade deadline, move him for another piece to their "unique" puzzle (I STILL think Khan drafts players and makes trades using basketball trading cards...and darts! :-B ).

But even if the T-Wolves move Ridnour and stick with Rubio and Shved, you still have JJ Barea on that roster. If memory serves me correctly, he went off the last month of the season when he got the start for several games. It's a small sample size (like a dozen or so games), but if we're talking guys who might carry over their success from the end of last season, Barea would fit that bill easy. And I could see him backing up whoever ends up being the starter in Minnesota. And if that person isn't Shved, then there won't be much PT left for him when all is said and done.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 181)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:36 pm

Don't ever recall Buser taking this much time before! :-B
RedHopeful

Postby So-Tex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:45 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Don't ever recall Buser taking this much time before! :-B

I know he mentioned over at RealGM that he was traveling Sept 2-16th, and that he would have computer access, just not 24/7.

Unless he decided to get a head start? I know after the football draft I had the other day, I NEED a couple more days just to recover! :*)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 181)

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft