Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:42 pm

A little surprised barrec didn't nab Ibaka to pair with Love. Funny that like the last 4 or 5 picks have mentioned him though. :-b
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:48 pm

It's tough to draft one trick ponies in the first couple of rounds, even if that one trick is really good.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby barrec » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:59 pm

RedHopeful wrote:A little surprised barrec didn't nab Ibaka to pair with Love. Funny that like the last 4 or 5 picks have mentioned him though. :-b

Up until my pick he was the guys I was going to go with. But as Fenris said, I didn't want to draft just for the one stat. Though on a per minute basis, Ibaka is a steal. I opted for safety - if you can call Marc that.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby jay_00 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:45 pm

It was tough picking Rondo over Lowry, but i think it should work out well. I didnt really need Lowrys ft%, and i felt threes and scoring was Lowrys main advantage. I feel like i can make that up later in the draft.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 44)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:57 pm

Don't feel bad, I passed on Lowry too. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:49 am

Is Rondo worth taking so high? Rondo is a huge drain in turnovers and ft%, doesn't shoot 3's, and obviously won't put up many points. Ibaka doesn't score but is more valuable in fantasy since he essentially isn't allowed to dribble so his turnovers will always be at 1 per night. Rondo handles the ball as much as anyone in basketball, good luck to him keeping it under 3.5. It seems like alot to pay in roto for two category dominance (AST/STL) and great rebounding for a guard.

I could see it in 8 cat, not 9 cat.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dcdoorknob » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:13 am

I worry a bit about Marc that high. He was really huge early in the season when literally all Memphis had at PF or C was him, Dante Cunningham, and Mo Speights (and Speights wasn't even there at first). After Randoph came back he came back to earth (and closer to his previous stat line) a bit. I'm sure RB can bring out some sort of advanced stats on Marc with and without Randolph (hell I'd be curious, they might not even support this for all I know) but even just looking at pre and post-ASB splits will start to give an idea. I still think he'll be top 40 but there's not really any upside from where he was taken.

For Rondo and Wall, well their 9-cat per game rankings last year were 96 and 89, respectively. Seems like they might both improve on that this year, but if the price is going to be a top 30 pick to find out how much, I'm going to pass, although I'd come closer to considering Wall than Rondo. Surprised both went ahead of Lowry.

Also, taking Ibaka (good pick imo) with Rondo back to back takes means you are now working from behind on points even though you started with Durant, which isn't like horrible or anything but I just find it a bit odd.
Last edited by dcdoorknob on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 72)

Postby jay_00 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:20 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Is Rondo worth taking so high? Rondo is a huge drain in turnovers and ft%, doesn't shoot 3's, and obviously won't put up many points. Ibaka doesn't score but is more valuable in fantasy since he essentially isn't allowed to dribble so his turnovers will always be at 1 per night. Rondo handles the ball as much as anyone in basketball, good luck to him keeping it under 3.5. It seems like alot to pay in roto for two category dominance (AST/STL) and great rebounding for a guard.

I could see it in 8 cat, not 9 cat.

With Durants 3.8 turnovers already on board, im aiming to punt turnovers. I actually always look to punt to's every year lol. The reason i took him there is because Durants really high volume scoring, 3s, and ft% help make up for what Rondo doesnt give you. The only way id bother taking Rondo this early would be with Durant. If I had taken Lebron i certainly would not be drafting Rondo. I feel hes a good fit with Durant because what Rondo sucks at, Durant happens to be the one of the best at in each category.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 44)

Postby barrec » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:32 am

jay_00 wrote:It was tough picking Rondo over Lowry, but i think it should work out well. I didnt really need Lowrys ft%, and i felt threes and scoring was Lowrys main advantage. I feel like i can make that up later in the draft.

I am surprised Lowery is being talked about in this round. To me, he's a clear 2nd tier PG and I'd rather take near-guaranteed production from proven players than take him here.

Second guessing myself again with taking Howard, but there's no PG I want to take in the 3rd round. As I said in my comments on Howard that obv. I should have taken Rondo while I had the chance, especially if Howard were available here (didn't think he would be).
Last edited by barrec on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Draft Commentary

Postby Rizzo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:36 am

Been following this mock since its inception. I love the detailed commentary everyone gives as well as the constructive criticisms. This is what makes mocks so useful. Thank you guys for giving the community some insightful research.
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft