Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Rounders Block wrote:Anyone else thinking the Kings finally unload Tyreke this year in a trade?

I would have thought they would have done it already if they were going to.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 599)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jay_00 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Rounders Block wrote:Anyone else thinking the Kings finally unload Tyreke this year in a trade?

I certainly do, rookie contract almost done. Theyre in desperate need of a real talented SF too.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 49)

Postby mbuser » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:14 pm

They probably don't trade him if he's successful at SF this season, right? If it's a fit, then they don't need to deal him. If it's not, then they either sell "low" or attempt to work out a S&T in the off-season, presumably for a SF. I don't think the market for him would be fruitful currently, given his injury problems and sliding production. And I'm trying to pinpoint a good trade partner but am having trouble..
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby dcdoorknob » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Thornton has consistently produced a fantasy friendly line every time he's gotten minutes, and I don't see where or how his minutes will fall off drastically (or at all probably). I don't know about surefire top 25 (probably not with a modest bump down for injury risk which is prudent imo) but I certainly think it's a nice value pick where RB took him.

Speaking of injury risk, I noticed that Redhopeful is taking on quite a bit with Wade, Curry and now Gordon in the first 4 rounds. The combination of the 3 likely more than I would be comfortable with on my own team this early in a draft, even though each individual pick seems reasonable.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 77)

Postby jphanned » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:00 am

dcdoorknob wrote:Thornton has consistently produced a fantasy friendly line every time he's gotten minutes, and I don't see where or how his minutes will fall off drastically (or at all probably). I don't know about surefire top 25 (probably not with a modest bump down for injury risk which is prudent imo) but I certainly think it's a nice value pick where RB took him.

Yeah the injury point Buz and dcd bring up is a good one, and I hadn't given much consideration to it since Thornton's injuries have been more of the bumps and bruises variety (strains, etc). Agree to bump him down a bit based on that so I'll re-adjust to top-30, though it shouldn't make a world of difference in a ROTO format.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 am

dcdoorknob wrote:Thornton has consistently produced a fantasy friendly line every time he's gotten minutes, and I don't see where or how his minutes will fall off drastically (or at all probably). I don't know about surefire top 25 (probably not with a modest bump down for injury risk which is prudent imo) but I certainly think it's a nice value pick where RB took him.

Speaking of injury risk, I noticed that Redhopeful is taking on quite a bit with Wade, Curry and now Gordon in the first 4 rounds. The combination of the 3 likely more than I would be comfortable with on my own team this early in a draft, even though each individual pick seems reasonable.

Haha. Was going to mention the injuries with Thornton earlier but sort of felt uncomfortable bringing that point up considering my present team. ;-7 :-b

As far as my team, you hit the nail on the head DC. In a competitive H2H league, I just can't foresee myself making the same picks as it just seems like too much overall risk. However, I've felt compelled making them here because this mock should serve as a good model on value and I just don't think it's realistic guys like Curry, Gordon and Lopez should slide any further.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:32 am

FBC doing it's part to shore up the sloppy margins of fantasy drafts everywhere. Consider the Wall pick my own personal sabot. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby mbuser » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:44 pm

Sorry, should have sent a list to some peeps before I went to bed last night.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby bokzg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm actually really uncertain about how the Kings' backcourt/wing rotation will go this coming season because of how many players they have that can play multiple positions in those spots.

PG: Isaiah, Brooks, Thornton, Fredette
SG: Thornton, Fredette, Salmons, Tyreke, Garcia
SF: Salmons, Tyreke, Garcia, Johnson, Outlaw, TWill

That's a LOT of perimeter players that could easily earn PT for one roster. Isaiah played really well for them last season, Brooks is not going to be signed to not play and is talented enough to earn significant PT, and you have to think that the Kings want to give Jimmer a shot since they took him so high and obviously like him. Salmons was the starting SG for a bulk of last season and is getting paid too much to not play, Tyreke is arguably one of their best players and will likely get plenty of opportunities to figure out where he can fit into the roster, and Garcia is a solid all-around talent that has always managed to get some PT whenever he's been healthy. James Johnson was just added this season, so you have to assume they see a use for him and will give him PT, you have TWill who has shown flashes, and then Outlaw who is least likely to get PT but could.

Add in the possibility of Cousins becoming more of a focal point of the offense, and I don't see how you could not walk away with some concern that Thornton may not put up the numbers he did last season. He's a scorer first and foremost, and those types can sometimes suffer dramatic falls in overall production if they don't get enough touches. I'm not saying it was a bad pick, but I have a healthy amount of concern over that rotation and everyone that's a part of it.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 83)

Postby jphanned » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:33 pm

There was a lot of changeover at the back-end of Smart's rotation last season, where we'd see Jimmer & Garcia routinely pile up DNP-CD's during stretches, mainly because Smart wasn't interested in throwing guys out there just for the heck of it. Obviously a lot of guys at the 1-3 spots as you listed, but a ton of bad to below-average options there as well. Brooks, Fredette (10.8 PER), Garcia (10.7), and wait, it gets better ... Salmons (9.7!!). Are you listing guys just to list them, or do you legitimately believe any one of them will seriously push Thornton for minutes? These things get sorted out, and this isn't a case like the Spurs where there's legitimate depth and a real reason to push their rotation 9-10 players deep. I'm confident Thornton will get 30+ minutes a game next season because he's clearly the best player out of that whole group (Reke included), and any reasonable coach (which Smart is) will realize you can't expect to win games without your 2nd best player on the floor. Especially with his backups being as bad as they are.

I totally acknowledge the downside there, but I just don't buy it is all.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft