5 - geodbear
6 - mbuser
7 - So-Tex
8 - RedHopeful
9 - Rounders Block
10 - barrec
11 - Fenris-77
12 - jay_00

For draft order verification, I entered the e-mails of Red, Jimmy & geodbear when plugging the draft order into the randomizer.

As to rules for the draft, there are a couple:
  • Pick Format: Participants will post their draft picks in the following format: 1.1 Gheorghe Mureşan (C - WAS)
  • Statements: Participants shall provide a brief statement with each pick explaining the reasons for the selection and any other thoughts they'd care to provide. This will aid observers of this mock draft in understanding why a player was taken at his respected spot. We are often able to see the raw results from a mock draft, but commentary will provide the mock with substance as well.
  • Time Limit: Even though we do not foresee many problems with inactivity and missed picks, there will be a 24-hour time limit enforced on each pick. When this time limit has passed, I will make the pick accordingly for the manager based on the best player available as well as any positional needs.
  • Alerts: After you post your pick, please PM the manager who is preceding you and let him know he is on the clock. This will help keep everyone on the same page and keep the draft going at a good pace.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Room

Postby jay_00 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:07 pm

1.1 Kevin Durant (SF - OKC)

So i know Lebron is ranked number 1, but id rather build a team around Durant than Lebron. Durant was number 1 last pre season, so it would not be much of a surprise if they switched places again next year. To me, i feel like Durant has more potential. Plus its harder to pass up Durants volume of 3pters made with his nice fg%. I also noticed Lebrons assists have gone down the last 3 seasons (8.6, 7, 6.2) while Durants assists went up slightly last season. I also like building around Durants high volume ft%.
Last edited by RedHopeful on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added commentary to draft pick
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 49)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:10 pm

1.2 LeBron James (PG/SG/SF/PF/C - Miami Heat)

Even for roto I'll quite happily take LeBRon at two here, and for HtH I think should be the #1 option. Great points, boards, dimes, steals, plus solid blocks and threes and massive value in FG% make for a pretty compelling roto line. Even the FT% isn't that bad, and can either be rescued with a solid FT% pick or two, or more likely given a gentle semi-punt. With LeBron the door is pretty much wide open for team building and he's one of the best two fantasy players on the planet, so it was an easy pick.

There is the Chris Paul question of course since, at least by last season's numbers, he's right there with Durant and James value-wise. I think I'll take all of LeBron's out-of-position goodies over Paul's more traditional (if elite) production.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby barrec » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:17 pm

1.3 Kevin Love (PF - Minnesota Timberwolves)

Though Fenris points out Paul's elite numbers, I'm going with my gut on Love. Everyone knows the season he put together last year, and with his huge board numbers, he's far more than an out-of-position PF. Though FG% and Blocks are lacking for a PF spot, I feel those stats can be supplemented by other players. His 82.4 FT% is more than adequate, and made even better considering attempts per game (8). I can't replicate Paul's assists+steals clip, but I feel confident I can find dimes throughout the draft (and off of the waiver wire in an actual league).

Love is fantastic in any scoring setting, and I think a tremendous player for H2H if you build a team of shooters.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby jphanned » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm

1.4 Chris Paul (PG - LAC)

Easy decision for me here. CP3 has posted top-3 per-game value in each of the past five seasons and is as reliable as it gets. Pretty difficult to lock up dimes/steals when drafting in the early spots since there's an inevitable run of PG's by the time it gets back (Westbrook, Wade, Steph, Deron), so that's an added bonus.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:14 pm

1.5 Dwyane Wade (G - MIA)

Tried to talk myself out of this pick but in reality it makes the most sense. One, he'll contribute in all categories besides 3's (yes, I'm including FT's this season as I'm a believer the improvement isn't a fluke). Two, he was 5th in per game value last season despite all the nagging injuries so it's doubtful it could get any worse. Three, there isn't an obvious choice at the fifth pick this season. If it were H2H, I could understand going any number of other routes but for roto, it's gotta be Wade.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby So-Tex » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:20 am

1.6 LaMarcus Aldridge (PF/C - POR)

Well, what can I say...picking in the middle this season is gonna suck harder than a Dyson at a dust bunny convention. :-P But, saving grace is this IS a roto mock, and roto will probably be easier on the brain cells when drafting in the middle of the round than h2h will be.

At this point, I'm pretty much taking a BPA approach to starting my build. Looked at several options, including Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap. But it really came down to LMA or Dirk Nowitzki for me.

For some reason, drafts I've seen so far seem to be passing Dirk up in the late first round. In my honest opinion, I don't see that much of a drop off for him this season, regardless of age. So if he falls to the 2nd round for your next pick, you should snag him and run away laughing. But basically, it came down to me getting 2 extra REBs per game out of LMA. Dirk shoots almost 90% from the line, and that was veeeeeery tempting to me since FT% is hard to make up as the season progresses - plus, Dirk and LMA have almost identical stats in PTS, ASTs, and TOs. But at this point, I'd rather have the counting stats in REBs with 81% shooting from the line, than the higher 89% that Dirk could possibly get me.

On a side note: this draft, 1 through 5, is going exactly like another mock I'm in over in Busersports (h2h settings). Interesting... :-?
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 181)

Postby mbuser » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 pm

1.7 Russell Westbrook (PG - OKC)

Waffled a bit here, with Al Jeff as the other option, but in the end I went with Westbrook's growth potential and health history. You have to like that Westbrook's jumpshooting numbers improved last season, which helped him to raise his FG% for a fourth straight season while also doubling his 3PTM per game. Westbrook's 2PT% in his four seasons: 42%, 44%, 45%, 48%. Yes, you now have to count on fewer assists and he's ideally employed for h2h/8cat purposes, but he's a beast in all formats.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby geodbear » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 pm

1.8 Al Jefferson (F/C - Utah)

With Favors and Kanter part of Utah's long-term plans, it's not a bad assumption that Jefferson might be marginalized a little this season, but he was a solid top 10 player last year. It's also an assumption. Jefferson could be a trade candidate too. The other player under consideration here was Dirk.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:28 pm

1.9 Josh Smith (F - ATL)

Smoove is definitely the best player available here. I normally prefer a big time scorer first but he still put up 19 a night last year with JJ still there. His stat stuffing line makes picking on the way back easier - just need to keep an close eye on my free throw percentage going forward here.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to 2012 Mock Draft