Draft Room - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Room

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Room

Postby jphanned » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:49 pm

2.9 Carmelo Anthony (F - NYK)

Ibaka was under consideration here, but too much of his value is invested in one category (blocks) and I needed to lock down some points. A small drawback to drafting CP3 is that he's a below-average scorer relative to other first-rounders. Considered Jennings, but breakout and all, I still don't fully trust him. When digging a bit into Melo's splits, he became the clear-cut choice for me.

Melo per-36 averages w/ Lin on court (505 minutes): 20.5 pts, 6.8 reb, 4.0 ast, 1.1 threes (28.6% 3pt), 39.8% fg, 72.9% ft (5.5 fta)
Melo per-36 averages w/ Lin off court (1337 minutes): 28.4 pts, 7.5 reb, 4.4 ast, 1.5 threes (34.0% 3pt), 43.7% fg, 81.9% ft (8.4 fta)

Dramatic, and if you watched the Knicks last year you'd understand why. Lin and Melo just never fit well together, mainly due to Melo's inability to adapt as a cutter without the ball in his hands. He's at his best initiating the action (or in the post), and neither of those two things happened as much as they did in the past with Lin on the floor. Doesn't hurt that Melo looked phenomenal this summer at the Olympics either.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby barrec » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:27 pm

2.10 Marc Gasol (C - Mem)

Other considerations were Ibaka and Howard. I was hoping to make up for the traditional PF/C stats Love doesn't offer. Last season, Gasol shot 48.2% from the field, a bit below is career average of 52.8%. Obviously I hope he trends back to his career line, and hope his volume can make up for Love's FG%. Gasol bolsters boards, is more than adequate in FT% (74.8 last season), and offers more than 2 assists/game, a steal and nearly 2 blocks.

Obviously I need to get a PG on the roster soon, but other than assists I have a great start in all categories.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:33 pm

2.11 James Harden (SG - OKC)

I was also looking at Ibaka and a couple of other guys but I couldn't pass on Harden's roto brilliance here. The guy does pretty much everything well and I'm especially happy to add a top guy with top-drawer FG% to help start digging my way out from underneath LeBron's massive mediocrity in that department. Obviously I still need bigs and a PG or two, but I'll start drafting for position later in the draft. I have Harden as the BPA on my board so I'm happy to take him.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby jay_00 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:31 pm

2.12 Serge Ibaka (F-C - OKC)

This one is kinda obvious. Im a bit surprise he made it back to me actually.The blocks and his per minute value are nothing short of impressive. Here's hoping he finally gets at least 33mpg.

3.1 Rajon Rondo

Yes Lowry was still available and hes certainly the better player available, but to pair the scoring leader, shot blocking leader, assist leader, and the former steals leader on the same team was too tempting for me to pass up. I feel Rondos stat line compliments Durant pretty well. Not to mention the 4-5 assists per game advantage over Lowry will come in handy later because assists seem to be scarce as we go further along the draft.I also did not want to deal with Lowry's low fg%. I saw this pairing in another mock and i was intrigued by it.
Last edited by jay_00 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:57 pm

3.02 John Wall (PG - WAS)

With a couple of PGs left on the board that had better seasons than Wall last year did this might be my first aggressive pick of the draft. I think with a whole lot more veteran stability in Washington that Wall should be able overcome some of his wildness, hopefully toning down the TOs and maybe adding something that at least looks, in a dim light, like reasonable shot selection. Wall closed out the season putting up some pretty stellar assist totals, and when you pair that with elite steals and blocks (for a PG) plus scoring and solid rebounding I think he's primed for a breakout season.

Obviously I looked pretty hard at Lowry and Jennings here, but Jennings I don't trust and Lowry, while great, is going to be playing on a slow paced team in Toronto and one that lacks great scoring, which may make it difficult to repeat last year's numbers despite the fact that I think he'll be given the keys to the team.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby barrec » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:26 am

3.03 - Dwight Howard (C-LAL)

Wow. OK, this wasn't how I envisioned any of my drafts going. I still like my Love pick, but should have gone PG instead of Gasol - I was hoping to grab Rondo at this spot. I'm still not willing to reach for a PG now, and would rather dominate the low post categories. Again, because of Love's game, I still have a start with 3's and some help with Howard's FT%.

For my money, Howard is BPA and it'll be interesting to see how it goes in LA. With all of those superstars, counting stats are sure to go down, but let's hope he can carry FG% even more.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby jphanned » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:45 am

3.4 DeMarcus Cousins (FC - SAC)

No one improved more than Cousins did last season, going from 214th to 54th in overall value. He still has considerable room for growth, a scary thought, and I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes in the top-25 next season (a feat considering how H2H-centric his line is). The string of nightly 20-10's are nice, but I'm more impressed by the progress he's made in cutting down the TO's and upping his %%'s. I also considered Greg Monroe here, but opted for DMC because he has the higher ceiling and gives me more than 0.7 blocks per game.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:02 am

3.5 Greg Monroe (FC - DET)

Welcome old friend. Mr. Monroe helped a number of my fantasy teams last year and I believe he'll continue his upward trek this season. A few more minutes, more offense running through him and getting a chance to play at PF at times are just some reasons his numbers will improve. Honestly, if Horford is going to be drafted in 2nd rounds, I'll gladly pass and wait for Monroe in the 3rd.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby So-Tex » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:32 pm

3.6 Rudy Gay (F - MEM)

We always talk about players and stats, but we normally don't get to discuss how we actually play the draft itself, so this is a bit refreshing! ;-D

Here's where things get sticky. :-o

Was looking originally to shore up 3's and some scoring, and I have a few targets in mind for that (Joe Johnson, Marcus Thornton). I also considered Ryan Anderson here as a reach - the few mocks/lists I've seen so far have him falling to about the mid to late 4th round. If he's there for my next pick, I'll take him as my "roll of the dice" pick at that point. That would help me shore up 3's along with a little bit of everything else...IF he falls back to me in the 4th. If I were to take him here though, I'd be missing out on a ton of talent still on the board, and I just don't feel the risk/reward at this point is worth the payoff.

So having said that, now I've got some options other than just targeting 3's. So I decide to change focus here and go with Gay. He gives me just enough across the board to keep me building in a positive direction, including a good dose of PTS (19 per game last season). But most importantly, he helps me shore up STLs, which I know will be practically impossible to do in the later rounds. I can find shooters, rebounders, and even a few shot blockers and scorers.But STLs guys are hard to come by. So by making this pick here, I'm setting myself up for a Ryan Anderson type (3's) in the next round.

Even if Anderson doesn't make it to me, I should still have a few choices on the board...I hope! :-o
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 183)

Postby mbuser » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 pm

3.7 Kyle Lowry (PG - TOR)

More than happy to get Lowry here, particularly since Westbrook's assists are down. I have little-to-no concern about a timeshare affecting his season impact - Casey loves Lowry, not so much with Calderon. Lowry was ranked 6th in per-game as of March 1 last season, then dealt with his groin injury and bacterial infection.
Last edited by mbuser on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft