Draft Room - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Room

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Room

Postby geodbear » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 pm

3.8 Brandon Jennings (PG- MIL)

This wasn't planned but he was a top 20 player all last season even after the Ellis trade. His fg% is a definite knock but I'd take Jennnings for the value. If anything, he or Lawson can be used as a trade chip if I want to balance out my team. I will look for another big or swing player next round. Quite a few other players were considered here as I think there isn't much difference in value from 3rd to 4th (or even 5th) round.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:28 pm

3.09 Paul Pierce (SF - BOS)

I really wanted to go point guard or big here but had to remember that we're still in the third round, I'm much better off playing it safe. Pierce has been a fantasy stud even as he ages, finishing at 25th over per BBM last year. With Ray Allen out of the picture and replaced by career bench player Courtney Lee and defensive stalwart Avery Bradley, Pierce will again be asked to shoulder the load in Boston. He'll put up 20 points, give me another high volume ft shooter to neutralize Smoove, and can pick up 4-5 assists per night like Kobe can so I'm not totally out of it there. The news on his sprained MCL sounds good also, should be ready to go.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phx_2008_champs » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:43 pm

3.10 - Goran Dragic (PG - PHO)

I'm happy to land Dragic here after passing up on PG's through the 1st two rounds. After Lowry went down last season, Dragic stepped in and surprised all of us by putting up mouth watering stat line after stat line. During the last 26 games of the season, he averaged roughly 18.4 PTS, 3.4 REB, 8.3 AST, 1.8 STL, 1.8 3PTM and 3.3 TO's on good %'s. Now that he's back in Phoenix, with only Telfair and rookie Kendall Marshall behind him, he's going to log as many minutes as he can handle. I'm looking forward to him taking Nash's place, working the pick and roll with Gortat, and feeding Scola wide-open jumpers like he did in Houston last year. Don't sleep on the Dragon!
phx_2008_champs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:24 am

3.11 Nicolas Batum (Por - GF)

Decent number of guys available here and I feel like I'm reaching a bit, but being at the turn I'm going to have to obviously. Just like with Bynum I'd be ok landing a number of safe options at 4.02 so I like gambling a bit here. Other options I considered here were Iggy, Anderson, George, and KG.

EDIT: Removed Dwight Howard as possible other options as he was already taken....
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby dcdoorknob » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 am

(btw, I'd already decided these would be my 2 picks if available, before silentjim just listed both as people he was considering).

3.12 - Kevin Garnett

His stats took a noticeable spike once he moved to C full time, which certainly appears to be where he'll be playing again this year, and it seems very likely that his trademark efficiency just won't let is 9-cat value drop outside the top 30 (or likely even top 20) despite his age.

4.1 - Andre Iguodala

Another pure value pickup really. His per game value last season was 32nd, and he's moving from a team that was noticeably below average in pace to a team that will quite possibly lead the league in pace, so it isn't hard to see how he might improve upon that (even moreso if his low 60s ft% goes back up towards his career norm of low 70s instead). Really I view him as a pretty safe pick with some upside here. All the PGs worth picking right now have gone, so it's also very nice to still get some real help in both assists and steals from a SF.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 77)

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:12 am

4.02 Paul George (Ind - GF)

I like the gambling value I'm getting with my picks. Even the floor with George is worth it here, and any upside is phenomenal. I would have preferred Iggy here, but will gladly take George's combo of stats here to supplement my other players. After picking Batum I did also strongly consider taking Gallo here as I think he should pay nice dividends as well.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby phx_2008_champs » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:04 am

4.3 - Ryan Anderson (PF/C - NOH)

I don't mind taking Anderson this late. I know the stars aligned for him last year in Orlando with Howard and Big Baby as the only other bigs and with D-12 getting double teamed and passing out to Anderson for open threes but his situation in New Orleans doesn't look too bad either. When you take a look at their roster, you've got to think that he's going to be the second best scorer on their team, with Eric Gordon scoring most of the points when he's healthy...add in the fact that Gordon has been nothing but an injury concern thus far and it's very possible that Anderson might even be their #1 option for a number of games. I'm not ruling out the possibility of Anderson, once again, being a first round fantasy option at this point.
phx_2008_champs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:21 am

4.4 David Lee (FC-GS)

Went back and forth with Gortat on this pick for awhile, decided to bite the bullet and take Lee. My turnovers are getting too high for not even having a PG yet but Lee gives me another player who is an exceptional passer at his position. He also nips a major problem in the butt - low field goal percentage. If Lee can manage 20 a night with Monta jacking up 25 a night, he can definitely do it without him. As seen when playing with Zbo in NY, Lee's rebounding numbers are the main liability when playing alongside another great rebounder. The odds on Curry and especially Bogut staying healthy are also less than enthusiastic so there's a solid chance he gets a ton more touches than last year and has a great year. It also helps that Smoove allows me to draft a big who doesn't block shots. I'm not so concerned about Gortat losing Nash, Dragic is great, it's the additions of offense only players like Beasley and Scola that concern me, could definitely reduce his touches significantly.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby geodbear » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:31 am

4.5 Marcin Gortat (C- Pho)

Touches may go down for reasons GP stated. Still 15/10 with 1.5+ blocks and 55% fg would be reasonable and draft worthy expectations at this slot.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)

Postby mbuser » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:20 am

4.6 Danilo Gallinari (SF - DEN)

A whole slew of options to consider here but went with Gallinari based on production potential that separates him from most of the group. The injury concerns are no joke, but I don't see how any team is more fantasy-friendly than the Nugs this season, and a healthy Gallinari will absolutely thrive. I'll just be sure to have depth at the SF position when it's all said and done.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft