Draft Room - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Room

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Room

Postby So-Tex » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:21 am

4.7 Wesley Matthews (G/F - POR)

Would have taken the shot at Ryan Anderson here if phx_2008_champs hadn't picked him up at 4.3 (which I feel is a good place to nab him). But, because of the way other managers have been drafting, I'm actually left with several solid options to fill my desire for 3's. :-°

I considered Marcus Thornton and Joe Johnson at first, with Ray Allen and Manu Ginobili as fall back options had the first two been taken off my queue. All four remain on the board. :-) But in the end, I did a double take, and decided to go with Wesley Matthews. His line from last year is nice, but even nicer if you look at just the last month of the season - 14 games in April averaging 38 + minutes, shooting 94.6% from the line, 4.1 boards, 1.8 steals (which again is HUGE considering the circumstances), 2.6 threes, and 17.6 points. Only drawback to his line is the low FG% (41.8%), but I can live with that as long as I start targeting bigs and high percentage shooters going forward. No Brandon Roy and a 2nd round draft pick (plus some bench warmers) behind him mean the minutes are there for the taking.

So again, talking strategy, my next few targets should be bigs for rebounding and FG%, and maaaaaybe some blocks here or there (but not quite sure if that option will pan out). We'll see if I can survive the certain "run on centers" which I KNOW is coming! :-o
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 183)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:25 pm

4.8 Eric Gordon (SG - NOH)

Couldn't let him drop any further but the usual caveat applies here: if healthy, he'll provide great value at this pick. At this point in his career, we're still not sure if this guy will reach those lofty expectations. However, last offseason, I became a big believer in Andrew Bynum thanks to all the stuff I was reading all summer. Beginning to get the same vibe with EG...
Last edited by jphanned on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added pick number in
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby jphanned » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm

4.9 Marcus Thornton (GF - SAC)

Not the best fit for my team categorically as I'm strong in points and steals, but why is he still on the board? Easy to change things up and pass on a center here to grab a player who'd make my overall top-30. Struggled with his shot pre-break at just 41.5%, but still managed to post top-33 value during that span nonetheless. Very high floor with a considerable ceiling to go with it.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)

Postby barrec » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:16 pm

4.10 Steve Nash (PG - LAL)

I am very happy to get Nash here, especially given how my team has been constructed thus far. As has been mentioned in various forums, the Lakers will be a very interesting team this year. I believe with more talent will come more efficiency, and I am not drafting Nash for his counting stats (other than dimes). Though I don't expect Nash to put up 10+ assists, 7-8 will be acceptable and hopefully he can help maintain a respectable team FT% and FG% (volume will be key - don't how much he'll get to the line nor how many shots he'll get). I am optimistic he'll be stable and healthy throughout the year given the team's fire power.

I also considered Ellis here but my team needs Nash's stat line far more than what Ellis brings, not to mention injury issues. Overall, I am still ahead in low post categories and keeping up in others.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 pm

4.11 Danny Granger (F - IND)

My team is lagging pretty badly in threes and Granger helps a lot there, as well as in FT%, while not adding overmuch to already copious turnover total. The FG% hurts but I have decent numbers there already and still have post slots to fill. Obviously there's trade risk with Granger, and he's playing on a deep team, but he managed to put up 3rd round value last season laboring under both those handicaps, so I'm not overly worried.

I looked at a bunch of bigs with this pick, but there's enough quality left on the board there that I'm content to wait at least another pick to snag one.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby jay_00 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:35 pm

4.12 Joe Johnson (GF - BRO)

My ideal pick would also have been Thornton, and i also was surprised he almost made it to me. Second choice was Granger because of his massive ft% value, even tho its tough to ignore his ppg and fg% decline 4 straight seasons. Either way im pretty satisfied with Joe at this spot. Hes always been able to score and shoot 3s, and i expect him to get me 2 threes a game, and 18-20 ppg. I feel hes going to end up closer to 18 though at the end of the year. He also shoots great from the line, even tho i dont expect him to match his career high ft% of last season either. However his 45 fg% for someone who hits so many threes certainly keeps me strong in fg%, while keeping me solid in threes as well.

5.1 Ersan Ilyasova (F - MIL)

Pretty thrilled to get him here. No he wont give me a boost in scoring, but he wont hurt me either. His great percentages, 3s, and rebs all certainly help my team out. Ilyasova finished 9th in per game value over last 2 months of season when he finally began to get a starting job. Him and Joe should combine to shoot 81% from the ft line at a nice volume, and they should also combine for 3 threes a game. With these 2 and Durant on board, im back to being pretty solid in 3s and ft%.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 am

5.02 Amar'e Stoudemire (PF/C - NYK)

Wow. I just sat back and thought for a minute about how strange it is to draft Stoudemire in the 5th round. It makes the world feel all topsy turvy. Not that I'm going to complain. :-b STAT had a down year in NY last year and that whole 'clicking with Melo' thing never really materialized. He's only one year removed from a top 10 fantasy finish mind you, and if all this Hakeem hullabaloo actually means Amar'e is going to play in the post more he could be a massive bargain this late. He's going to have to play in the post more if he doesn't want to clog up Melo's spots on the floor too, and I'd guess Amar'e knows it. Even if he just bounces back a little he's his standard FG%/Pts/Reb self and his FT% is better than a lot of bigs.

I thought about some other, more defensive, bigs with this pick, but Amar'e's pedigree pushed him to the front of the pack. Adding a 20ppg guy at this point makes it really easy to add points deficient role players later in the draft too, which is nice.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby barrec » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:55 am

5.03 Monta Ellis (PG/SG - Mil)

Happy to pick up Ellis here, as he was the other guy I was considering at 4.10 instead of Nash. I am drafting Ellis more as a SG who passes than a PG who shoots 3s. Or rather, that is what I am hoping for. If his post-trade splits are any indication, he will be scoring less but passing and stealing the same at Milwaukee. That's fine by me as I have been able to draft some scorers already. A better shot selection would be a bonus (and should benefit from fewer attempts), but this team would be able to absorb his poor FG% regardless. The steals and FT% will also be nice additions. Overall, I feel the team is still lagging in 3's and TOs.

For draft strategy, I'm still looking to fill stats over positions. So far the mock makes me think the league is deep this year.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby jphanned » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:13 am

5.4 Roy Hibbert (C - IND)

Came very close to taking him in Round 4 over Thornton but opted for BPA instead. Coming off a career year and still improving; a lock for 13-9 with 2 blocks. Expecting that FT% to bounce back a bit this year, and the rebounds/minutes to continue to climb.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:19 am

5.05 Brook Lopez (C - BRO)

Why stop now? Had my sights set on Hibbert but am glad I get to pick up another injury prone player. :-o

Sheesh, never imagined I'd be traversing down such an ominous road but it's really hard passing up guys that have the potential to really better these draft positions. Well, one thing going for Brook is that last season was his first where he missed one game. If he can stay healthy, he's a fantastic roto option considering his usual efficiency. Just be sure to not rely on him for your rebounding boys!
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft