Draft Room - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Room

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Room

Postby So-Tex » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:57 am

5.6 Joakim Noah (F/C - CHI)

Well, the run on bigs starts, although not quite as I expected it...but nonetheless, it still left me with some players in my queue - Joakim Noah, Anderson Varejao, Tim Duncan (yes, I AM a Spurs homer after all!), and others. Most of my targets have issues here - Noah coming off the ankle, Varejao coming off the wrist, Duncan with age, and several others with various stat line issues, most namely poor FT shooting. I decided to take the chance on the Noah. Although he doesn't give me much in scoring, he does almost get me double digit rebounds with the 1.4 BLKs. And he certainly helps both my %'s, as his career 72% free throw shooting (closer to 74% over the last three years) doesn't drag me down much in lue of his counting stats. Noah took off the summer because of the ankle injury, which is a concern for me as even he himself has said he's still not 100%. However, taking the time off should mean he'll come back the right way, unrushed, healthy, and ready to go.

Next round is going to be interesting for me. I might decide to go with another big, or bounce back to another guard or forward. Either way, I'm liking my prospects so far as there still seems to be a lot of value still on the board. ;-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 181)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mbuser » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:42 pm

5.7 Manu Ginobili (GF - SAS)

Ginobili was 47th in per-game last season.. while averaging 23 minutes. Of course, he's fallen to this stage of the draft for a reason - at age 35, we know Pop will be looking to keep him rested, and the specter of injury is present even in limited minutes. But here's his per-game over the past five seasons: 13, 26, 23, 18, 47. I'll take my chances with pick 55.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby geodbear » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:02 pm

5.8 Gerald Wallace (SF/PF - BRO)

His best fantasy years are behind him and it's hard to see exactly how the stats will divvy up among that starting 5 in Brooklyn. I expect the usual types of stats from Crash, just a little less.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:19 pm

5.9 Chris Bosh (FC - MIA)

Is the abdominal injury really that bad that he could miss the start of the season? Bosh at the end of the 5th sounds like a big bargain to me unless his injury is much worse than I think it is. Assuming good health, Bosh will still get his usual 35 MPG, push 17/8 with great percentages. His ceiling isn't as high as it used to be but love his really high floor here.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phx_2008_champs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:35 pm

5.10 Jeff Teague (G - ATL)

Goodbye Joe Johnson, hello Jeff Teague. Teague was one of last years "semi sleepers" who didn't upset those who drafted him in the later rounds. He put up 5th round value last year and with JJ out of town, I expect him to improve on those numbers. How much? I'm not sure but it's time to snag him. I noticed ESPN's rankings have him at #121. How in the hell do you justify that? %-6
phx_2008_champs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 am

5.11 Jrue Holiday (Phi - PG)

Hopefully getting a good low post player and removing Iggy from the fold will allow Holiday to thrive even more and pick up the assists a bit. The combo of assists and steals from him will help offset the decline as I look to go after some other bigs with my next few picks. Considered Tony Parker, Nene, Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, Tyson Chandler, and even Kris Humphries here.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of decent PGs and Centers available this year to be honest as well.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby dcdoorknob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:32 am

5.12 - Tony Parker

A safe pickup here who gives help in a couple categories (assists, points) that are going to be getting tougher to get significant help the longer the draft goes (and the ones that are still around later and give help in those 2 stats are more and more likely to hurt so much elsewhere to not be worth it, imo). In a perfect world I'd love someone who made some 3s too, but 3s are much easier to find later on than the ~18 points and 7 assists + decent %s that Parker brings now.

6.1 - Anthony Davis

Any rookie is obviously somewhat of a risk, but man I just think Davis can come in a be pretty darn useful for fantasy in his rookie year. Seems obvious that he'll play plenty, and I expect him to be a good rebounder and at least near-elite level shotblocker right away, with good fg%, some steals and a ft% near 70% so it won't kill you. Overall I think top 60 value is well within reach for the youngest gold-metalist in the league.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 77)

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:46 am

6.02 Nene Hilario (Was - C)

Seems like almost too good of a gamble here. Sure the plantar fascitis is still flaring up, but we're talking about a guy who was putting up easily top 40 value for years prior to this past one, where the injury occurred. The situation in Washington is friendly as well.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby phx_2008_champs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:21 am

6.03 - Tyson Chandler (C - NYK)

This definitely isn't the sexiest pick but Chandler doesn't hurt me anywhere and and will give me a nice little boost in FG% and blocks. He's played very well the last couple of seasons and I expect around 10 points, 10 rebounds and close to 1.5 blocks with limited TO's and a very high FG% on a limited amount of attempts. Seems like a pretty decent pick at this point.
Last edited by phx_2008_champs on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phx_2008_champs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:09 pm

6.4 Jeremy Lin PG HOU

Houston, we passed on overpriced point guards for 5 rounds and are going for broke. :-b

Lin's been given the keys to the franchise, he's going to play a TON of minutes, he's going to get his numbers. Tyson and Stat both did well with the pick and roll in NY, who knows who'll be his partner in Houston. Is Asik not a stiff? We'll see. This pick is a gamble but think Lin can still up at least 15 ppg/7 ast plus has 2 steals per game upside.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft