Draft Room - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Room

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Room

Postby geodbear » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:46 pm

6.5 Tim Duncan (PF/C - SAS)

Sure, he's getting older, he'll get an occasional day off, but per game, I think he'll be a solid fantasy pick until the day he retires. Good depth in the draft for bigs as I also considered Varejao, Humphries, Bogut, and McGee.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 219)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mbuser » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 pm

6.6 Kris Humphries (PF - BKN)

One of the best rebounders in the game is right back in a great position to succeed, considering BKN's lack of FC depth. A friendly roto line includes a nightly dbl-dbl, a much better FT% than the other bigs that I considered (Bogut, JaVale), and ~2 stl+blk. I'm expecting a bit less usage than last season but an improved FG%.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby So-Tex » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:40 pm

6.7 Blake Griffin (F/C - LAC)

Two of my targets, Humphries and Duncan, went right before me. I was also considering Varejao and Ray Allen. I know that Griffin kills my FT%, but because more "roto-friendly" targets went off the board just before my pick, AND because I'm not quite sure how Allen will pan out in Miami this season (making it worth picking him here), it became a matter of getting real good in just a few cats. Varejao would have been great here, especially since he doesn't hurt my FT% too much. But hell,there aren't too many guys down here who would even come close to getting you a 20/10 average! 8-o And I know with other FT killers lurking on other rosters, there's still a chance for me to pull out a couple of points in FT%. And even though the recent injury is a knee (which is always a concern), all reports indicate he should be back by training camp ready to rock!

By going this course, I should be solid now in four cats (PTS, REBs, STLs, and FG%). I'll have to work on ASTs and 3's (which might not be so easy going forward), as well as BLKs. I'll continue to try and milk the FT% for everything I can, but it's no longer a priority if it means getting better in my other weaker cats first.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 179)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:47 pm

6.8 JaVale McGee (C - DEN)

Was contemplating taking him with my last pick so I'm pleasantly surprised I can land him in the middle of the 6th round. No, I'm not sold George Karl suddenly gives him all the time in the world, but there is plenty of hope he'll carve out a larger role this season. In last year's 7 game playoff with the Lakers, JaVale averaged a hair under 26 minutes. Much better than the 20 1/2 minutes he averaged in 20 regular season games with Denver. There will be pressure for him to be the main center with the signing of a new contract as well as Karl's desire to push the pace even more. Also, it can't hurt he's been working out this summer including under the watchful eyes of Olajuwon.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby jphanned » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:21 pm

6.9 Carlos Boozer (FC - CHI)

Never been a big fan of his game and I don't think I've ever owned him in a league, but this may be the year I finally come around. If we're talking about which of the Bulls I'm buying post-Rose, Boozer tops my list. His splits with Rose off the court look great (22/12 per-36), and he'll get a modest bump from the 29.5 mpg he saw last year. Talked Lil' Nate vs. Hinrich in another thread and the counterpoint was made to me that Thibs will play Nate substantial minutes because they need his offense. Don't buy it in that particular context, but do buy that they'll play Boozer a bit more (slide him over to C, scale Taj back a bit at PF) this year. He's their most potent scorer -- matched Deng in ppg despite playing 10 less mpg -- and he does enough on the glass to off-set his sub-par defense.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 333)

Postby barrec » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:19 pm

6.10 Luol Deng (SF - Chi)

First time in the mock I haven't had my heart set on anyone. Deng is certainly the best SF on the board, and perhaps overall, which is nice considering it fills a hole in my roster. He provides more 3's and a steal a game, however drives down my FG% and FT% even more. Based on last year's stats, my team is atrocious in those categories and I may start to disregard them as we go on.

Deng will suffer without Rose on the court. An article on Bleacher Report states he was shooting 41% before Rose's injury, and dropped to 34% after. Without the maestro distributor, as well as someone the opposing defense keys into, Deng's production will be hampered. I am sure efficiency will be down without Rose, however he may benefit from extra minutes on the court. 2012-2013 could be the story of two season for the Bulls - with and without Rose - and Deng, et al might be a worthy investment for a payoff late in the season when the offense hits its stride.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:28 am

6.11 Andrea Bargnani (PF/C - TOR)

Bargnani is an injury risk and the 'good' part of last season's sample size was beyond small, but this late I'll take him and run. Toronto isn't exactly flush with scoring options so Bargs will get a lot of shots, and Dwayne Casey seems determined to run plays that get him the ball in good spots, so I expect him to have a solid year of the offensive side of the ball (getting a 20ppg scorer this late feels like a bonus). Casey is also going to demand a certain level of effort on the defensive end, so the boards and blocks should be better than his recent body of work (although neither will be that good). On the upside he does a nice job propping up FT% and 3's from the C slot, and if he can manage 6 boards and a block a game this year I'll happily take the over-all category impact here
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby jay_00 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:16 am

6.12 Nikola Pekovic (C - MIN)

Was somewhat hoping Bargnani would fall here, but then again didnt want to deal with his fg% and injury concerns. Still Bargnani end of 6th round i feel is a decent bargain. Instead ill settle for Pekovic. He had a breakout season last year, and the main thing keeping him from being a top 50-75 rated player is his lack of blocks. Since I have Ibaka, Durant, and Ilyasova on board already, i dont need to worry about blocks. Instead i got a nice scoring center who i expect to give me at least 15 ppg (most likely more), with really high fg% and is a good source of rebs.

7.1 Damian Lillard (PG - POR)

Was considering between Mo & Felton, and was dead set on picking one of the two when i changed my mind. I needed steals badly, and I knew Felton can give me a decent boost there, but his ceiling isnt that high especially with no D'antoni and with Melo dominating most of the possesions. I also really like Mo, and i feel hes good for 14-15 ppg, 6 asts, and 2 threes a game. The problem is that i feel like thats his ceiling, and u have to deal with his annual injury concerns on top of it. I feel like Lillard can possibly do what both of these guys can do, BUT theres the possibility that he can do more. Its not like hes Kemba Walker, who was stuck with splitting time with another PG (augustin) on the insanely terrible Bobcats. Hes gonna get the minutes, and hes got Aldridge, Matthews, and Batum all there to take the pressure off him. I feel comfortable with him here.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 44)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:35 am

7.02 Kenneth Faried (PF/C - DEN)

I think Faried is primed for a big season in Denver. George Karl has said the team is going run and run and then run some more and that's exactly the environment that Faried will thrive in. That's even more true now that Denver has three great ball handlers and passers in Lawson, Iggy, and Miller. Faried's per36 numbers for last season were a ridiculous 16/12 with 1.2 Stl and 1.5 Blk on .580 shooting. I don't think he gets quite that high, but I think he's probably good for 14/10 with 2.5+ Blk/Stl plus the great shooting form the floor.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby barrec » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:23 am

7.03 Jason Terry (SG - BOS)

Jay beat me to Lillard, and so I am going back to a tried and true professional with Terry. For many reasons, including age, new team and Boston's other shot takers, I am sure production will be down a bit. Certainly to start. But I need 3's and I like starting SG's who pass. A steal a game would be a nice touch, too. I am showing my true colors in this mock - safe and sound. Makes me think there is value to be found in the middle if people are taking chances on rookies/injuries.

I also considered Rubio, Rose, and Nelson. Rose/Rubio might very well be worth the wait if your team can handle a few months without production. Some are optimistic about Nelson's game this year since, well, there ain't much else in town...also have a few hometown favorites to consider in the middle rounds.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft