Draft Room - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Room

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Room

Postby jphanned » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:05 am

7.4 OJ Mayo (SG - DAL)

Why settle for the JET of old when you can have the new one instead? Went with bigs in three of the last four rounds, so narrowed my sights a bit from BPA to a guard/swing. A lot of options out there from Shuttlesworth to Klay to Mo Williams that just didn't cut it for me, so thought I'd roll the dice a bit here on Mayo. Been stuck in that sixth man role in each of the last two seasons which limited him to 28 mpg and capped his productivity. Great spot here next to another young PG trying to re-invent himself (Collison) and the opportunity to start and play ~34 mpg. Versatility a plus too, as he'll see some minutes behind DC at the point like he did in Memphis. Won't get into the specifics of how he fits in, but a lot to like here.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 333)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:21 pm

7.05 Klay Thompson (GF - GSW)

Needed another bomber and this guy is one of the league's finest up and comers - he was even selected to the 2012 USA Select team. Upon becoming a starter, Klay put up a line of 18.1 points, 3.2 boards, 3.0 assists and 1.1 steals on surprisingly good efficiency (44.1 FG%, 38.1 3FG%, 90.6 FT%, 2.2 TO). If GSW's roster remains largely healthy, one should expect the counting stats to be a tick or two less but he still represents good value around pick #80. Also, for roto teams carrying Curry, drafting him makes that much more sense.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 603)

Postby So-Tex » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:16 pm

7.6 Ray Allen (SG - MIA)

Had my sights on just two guys here, as I needed a 3 point shooter - Allen and his age and situation (who knows how much of a hit he'll take with a loaded Miami lineup), or Kevin Martin and his risk of injury and contract situation.

I really do like Martin, even if his future in Houston is still up in the air (last year of his contract, with trade rumors swirling like an F5 tornado!). But I opted to roll the dice on Allen, simply because the thought of him spotting up for 3-balls all day long is just too much to resist at this point in the draft. Allen finished at the end of the 3rd round in terms of per game value last season. If I can get 7th round value from him, or better yet, split the difference, I'll be more than satisfied. Just as long as he's still hitting 3's at a better than 2 per game pace.

Curious to see who will still be on the board for my next pick, as there looks to be many viable options left to choose from. ;-) :-D B-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 181)

Postby mbuser » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:36 pm

7.7 Andrew Bogut (C - GSW)

I'm not expecting miracles, but pick 79 is a reasonable spot to take a chance on Bogut making it through the season relatively intact. My roster is set up pretty well to deal with his FT% and I could use a shot-blocker at center. The Ws sure need him, and if it did happen to all come (back) together for Bogut, there are nice potential gains from here.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby geodbear » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:24 am

7.08 - Arron Afflalo (SG - ORL)

Was looking for a perimeter player here. They seem to be in demand as 4 of the 5 picks were those. Afflalo looks to have increased usage as Orlando, frankly, stinks. This could affect his efficiency. Also considered the likes of Martin, J.R. Smith, Matthews, and Beal.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 220)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:22 am

7.9 DeAndre Jordan (C -LAC)

Jordan was more of a letdown for owners who drafted him last season but his minutes should remain unchanged and the 2 blocks a night are huge, really locks down the category here, plus I was getting too heavy on turnovers and needed to cut down. I'm not sure how much better he'll get but would be ok with last year's production at this price.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phx_2008_champs » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:59 am

7.10 - Elton Brand

Will add more later
phx_2008_champs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby silentjim » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:07 am

7.11 Kevin Martin (Hou - SG)

Picks are getting tougher here. But I liked the idea of getting Martin in the late 7th and hoping he outplays this draft position. I definitely wanted to continue to shore up points and FT% as I believe there are still quite a few bigs I'd be interested in drafting.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 565)

Postby dcdoorknob » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 am

7.12 - Mo Williams

I'm a little surprised he's still available here. I don't see what's not to like about his situation in Utah: decent team, quality bigs to feed and to open up his outside shot, and not much competition at his position for serious minutes. Like several others this round, I was looking for a perimeter player who will hit some 3s and has good points and high ft%. Mo should tick all those boxes pretty well, just with some extra assists (and TOs) thrown in.

8.1 - Zach Randolph

I'm not sure how close Z-bo can get to his former 20/12 beastly self, but if the price is only a pick in the mid-80s (or even 10-15 spots higher than this imo), I'm more than willing to snatch him up and wait to find out. Memphis returns largely the same team and Zach returns to largely the same role which lead to the 2 best fantasy seasons in his career prior to last year's injury derailment. Here's hoping that the train is now back on track.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:31 am

For silentjim:

8.02 Anderson Varejao (FC - CLE)

I really like landing Varejao here. After picking Martin I was hoping he's still be available after the turn. He and Irving are the only 2 guys on Cleveland guaranteed a starting spot and the depth behind him at center is lackluster at best. His major issues have always been injury related which is a concern, but his per game value is way above the 8th round. My team is looking gritty which I like.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 603)

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mock Draft