2012-2013 Discussion Thread - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Auction

2012-2013 Discussion Thread

Moderator: geodbear

Re: 2012-2013 Discussion Thread

Postby The Thrill » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:45 pm

LOL. Has beens and virgins?! :-b Golly, I was thinking more like Older and Wiser. ;-)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 264)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bleedtheblack » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:22 pm

How long does an auction draft typically take?

I did a mock draft on the weekend and it was really slow. I didn't have time to complete the whole draft. I also realized two things really quickly. I have no idea what I'm doing and autopick does NOT work for an auction.
bleedtheblack
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Fantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby geodbear » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:45 pm

bleedtheblack wrote:How long does an auction draft typically take?

I did a mock draft on the weekend and it was really slow. I didn't have time to complete the whole draft. I also realized two things really quickly. I have no idea what I'm doing and autopick does NOT work for an auction.

The past two drafts were between 2.5 and 3 hours I believe. They were long, longer than a typical draft by quite a bit. Surprisingly, the winner of Year 1, was the only manager who was not able to make the draft - he had family emergency but did preset some his auction values. Note that if you believe you can't make it, it is important to check some of Yahoo's preset values.

As for strategy, there seems to be two general ones. (1) Overpay to get a few top talents and then scrounge for the rest of the draft. The problem with that you may be sitting an hour or two after getting a few players, before getting the rest of your team. (2) Let others grab the top talents, and then build on a lot of mid round talent at a good value.

BBM can come up with auction values based on their bbm value and your auction budget.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 245)

Postby geodbear » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:46 pm

I will be in two auction drafts on Tuesday. I have one that starts at 9 pm ET and then this one at 10 pm. Hopefully, I don't confuse the two during the overlap.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 245)

Postby The Thrill » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:32 pm

bleedtheblack wrote: autopick does NOT work for an auction.

Hey btb, if you check in Yahoo under the "Draft Central" tab, one of the drop downs is Pre-Draft Player Values. I'm pretty sure autopick will work for you if the draft gets too long. You were maybe just experiencing a mock draft issue. :-? I don't know myself. I haven't tried a mock auction draft yet.

You can adjust player's pre-draft player values to your liking in Yahoo.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleedtheblack » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:45 pm

Hey btb, if you check in Yahoo under the "Draft Central" tab, one of the drop downs is Pre-Draft Player Values. I'm pretty sure autopick will work for you if the draft gets too long. You were maybe just experiencing a mock draft issue. :-? I don't know myself. I haven't tried a mock auction draft yet.

You can adjust player's pre-draft player values to your liking in Yahoo.[/quote]

Oh, I'll be at the draft. Hopefully I can at least figure out some of the offseason moves by then. So is about 3 hours a reasonable guess for the time it will take?
bleedtheblack
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Fantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Thrill » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm so toast. You all are gonna school me big time. X-I
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

Postby bokzg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:01 am

The Thrill wrote:I'm so toast. You all are gonna school me big time. X-I

After an autodrafter won the whole thing last year, I don't think being slightly out of touch with FBB news is going to be the huge handicap you think it is :)
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 102)

Postby silentjim » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:06 am

How much money do we get?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 632)

Postby The Thrill » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:31 am

silentjim wrote:How much money do we get?

We get money? An auto-drafter won last year? Hey, this league is sounding better every minute! B-)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Auction