2012-2013 Discussion Thread - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Auction

2012-2013 Discussion Thread

Moderator: geodbear

Re: 2012-2013 Discussion Thread

Postby bokzg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Intuitively, one would think that having a team with a lot of depth (i.e. lots of mid-tier vs. a few top-tier and a bunch of bottom-tier) would make it easier to handle injuries and missed games since your eggs are in more baskets. However, it does seem that it's actually better to have a top-tier player or two since they tend to be the most reliable as long as they stay healthy and can anchor a squad that may be suffering from other players missing games. Guys like Lebron and Durant are about as consistent and reliable as it gets, and can also carry a team on any given week, which is a nice safety net to have.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:15 pm

The Thrill wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Injuries and missed games will almost always take a toll on all and I learned they are hard to overcome with a team heavy on middle tier types.

This information would have been more handy to me before today. ;-7

And conversely would have perhaps hurt my chances in this league. :-B ;-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby geodbear » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:19 pm

2011 Winner (Rounders) had Lebron. Winner 2010 (Dino-Mite) had Durant. Both my teams were out of the playoffs and had depth but no 1st rounders. (And it's the same this year so I haven't learned my lesson yet. :*) )

Also noticed that I had set the auction budgets for those last two years at $260 (to average $20/player) so I may have skewed this year's bidding for anyone returning from last year.

Last year, in my other auction league, I was 1st in the regular season, 5th in playoffs (upset in the first round by the 8th seed :-C ), and had Chris Paul, Kevin Love, and Pau Gasol (all auto drafted because I was 10-15 minutes late!). The winning team had Durant. (And the 2010 winner in that league had Lebron.)

So it seems to bear out that you want the top tier talent over the middle tier depth.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 278)

Postby The Thrill » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:43 pm

I guess I don't know how far $100 throughout the season will go. :-?

The significance of that is that if you pay up for the top talent in the draft, but the rest of your "projects" or 'lower cost" players don't turn out, what risk is there of not being able to afford the players in the Free Agent pool? :-?

Sounds like, from what I'm gathering, we're all on even terms in the FA pool (which is fine). In which case, it would seem to make all the sense in the world to spend big early on top talent in the draft. We've all known all along that the top players in fantasy basketball have been elite (i.e. there's always 2 or 3 elite) and those are the players that help you win generally speaking. Though in H2H you can try to combat that with strategies in certain categories.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby geodbear » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:00 pm

The Thrill wrote:I guess I don't know how far $100 throughout the season will go. :-?

In a way, we all don't know because this will be the first year where we will have continuous waivers (first year to have that option for Yahoo basketball). That means all players will be waiver acquisitions and not just a mix with free agents. With free agents, it was first come first serve and benefited the people who had more time for this. Now with everyone on waivers, there will be more spending but it's difficult the gauge how much we will spend. Keep in mind that we have 4 max acquisitions per week and 23 weeks, so if you max out your acquisitions, that's just over $1 per. You can always bid $0, and it's unlikely you'll max out your acquisitions every week and not everyone will make it to the full 23 weeks.
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bleedtheblack » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Had a lot of fun doing the auction draft. Not crazy about my team or how my draft strategy (or lack thereof) worked out. The fact I was left with 10$ on the board was brutal. Especially when a couple of sleepers I had targeted could have been mine if I'd had the awareness to realize how many spots I had left and how things would change towards the end of the draft.

I was happy with a couple of good bargains in the middle and end of the draft. Ended up with at least two guys I did not want but was just not paying close enough attention to detail. Luckily, I didn't pay much for either. I felt like my inexperience with the auction style draft showed in a big way.

Nonetheless, I am excited to be back playing again. Thanks for the invite.
bleedtheblack
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Fantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby geodbear » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:51 am

Just realized that this league has yet to have a defending champion. Dino-Mite didn't return last year, and rb didn't return this year.
geodbear

Postby cnote23 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:02 am

I just looked at dv's page he hasnt been on since the 21st that is not like him he never misses a day on here I hope he is ok :-o he also I has never missed a draft maybe he is in jail :-?
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 236)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:20 am

geodbear wrote:Just realized that this league has yet to have a defending champion. Dino-Mite didn't return last year, and rb didn't return this year.

Guess I won't be back next season...

;-7 :-D ;-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:22 am

cnote23 wrote:I just looked at dv's page he hasnt been on since the 21st that is not like him he never misses a day on here I hope he is ok :-o he also I has never missed a draft maybe he is in jail :-?

Never been in Jail and never will be. Just completely forgot about the draft. Never even crossed my mind I had something to last night when I got home around 10 after bible study and tutoring.

I guess I can go see the crap I get to mold into a competitive team now.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Auction