2012-2013 Discussion Thread - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Auction

2012-2013 Discussion Thread

Moderator: geodbear

Re: 2012-2013 Discussion Thread

Postby cnote23 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:07 am

DVauthrin wrote:
cnote23 wrote:I just looked at dv's page he hasnt been on since the 21st that is not like him he never misses a day on here I hope he is ok :-o he also I has never missed a draft maybe he is in jail :-?

Never been in Jail and never will be. Just completely forgot about the draft. Never even crossed my mind I had something to last night when I got home around 10 after bible study and tutoring.

I guess I can go see the crap I get to mold into a competitive team now.

I thought I never would be in jail then I had one long night of jager and that is all I remember X-I anyway good to see you alive
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:30 pm

cnote23 wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:
cnote23 wrote:I just looked at dv's page he hasnt been on since the 21st that is not like him he never misses a day on here I hope he is ok :-o he also I has never missed a draft maybe he is in jail :-?

Never been in Jail and never will be. Just completely forgot about the draft. Never even crossed my mind I had something to last night when I got home around 10 after bible study and tutoring.

I guess I can go see the crap I get to mold into a competitive team now.

I thought I never would be in jail then I had one long night of jager and that is all I remember X-I anyway good to see you alive

Yeah I know anything is possible. And yeah, I'm glad to be alive as well.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby geodbear » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:38 pm

cnote23 wrote:I thought I never would be in jail then I had one long night of jager and that is all I remember X-I anyway good to see you alive

Were you able to figure out what happened? Was Mike Tyson somehow involved? :-b
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 219)

Postby cnote23 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:03 pm

geodbear wrote:
cnote23 wrote:I thought I never would be in jail then I had one long night of jager and that is all I remember X-I anyway good to see you alive

Were you able to figure out what happened? Was Mike Tyson somehow involved? :-b
I sure as hell hope not but good one geo ;-D No the story it was my 18th b-day I was in Bristol Tennesse I went to this strip club called Bottoms up yes a very classy place. Anyway I was drunk one of my friends said something to a stripper next then i knew I was kick out one of my friends got in a fight the cops were called. anyway cops came and we would of gotton away from it but my friend tripped and a bottle of jager busted since we were under 21 I got put in the drunk tank for the night. it was still a great 18th b-day ;-D
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby geodbear » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:48 am

So in consideration of this discussion http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71557 on reducing a center position from line ups, what would you all think about going next year with 10 utility positions and 3 bench positions? My biggest fear is that Jim would go too crazy with his T4 strategy.
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 am

geodbear wrote:So in consideration of this discussion http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71557 on reducing a center position from line ups, what would you all think about going next year with 10 utility positions and 3 bench positions? My biggest fear is that Jim would go too crazy with his T4 strategy.

I think I'd be game. Love the idea of giving total freedom to the manager within such a competitive league. Hell, I'd get a kick out of seeing if Jimmy could indeed come up with the best week in/week out 5-4 winning team in history. :-b
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby silentjim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:07 pm

geodbear wrote:So in consideration of this discussion http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71557 on reducing a center position from line ups, what would you all think about going next year with 10 utility positions and 3 bench positions? My biggest fear is that Jim would go too crazy with his T4 strategy.

Man, you guys would be toast if I wasn't limited by positions.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby bokzg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:46 pm

I don't know how I feel about having all utility positions. I know that the league is slowly moving towards "positionless" basketball since the Heat did so well with it, but I don't know that we're there yet. I don't think it'd make sense for a person to potentially field a team with 10 PF/Cs to dominate the big men stats, when there's no way it would work in real life. Same goes for a team of 10 PGs/SGs.

While I realize that many people don't care all that much about fantasy basketball mirroring real life basketball, but I think there needs to be some level of correlation. If I ever saw a fantasy basketball team that featured 10 PF/C's, I would think to myself "that's dumb and completely unrealistic" and I don't think I'd be the only one.

I do however agree that the C position is perhaps being overvalued with the standard roster positions. I feel like it hasn't bee as much of an issue over the past couple of years because so many PFs are getting C eligibility, but it can still be unnecessarily restricting. Ideally, Yahoo would bring back the option for a PF/C roster spot, but I think having only one C spot with an additional Utility spot would be a nice compromise. The other option would be to replace the C spots with Utility spots, and then agree amongst ourselves that at least two of them has to be filled by a PF or C and self-regulate.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 68)

Postby cnote23 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:07 pm

I dont likehavine all utl but instead of haveing 2 c spots have 1 F/c spot and a extra utl spot maybe like pg,sg,sf,pr,f/c,and 4 utl spots
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby geodbear » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:15 pm

I brought this up more to have a discussion. I doubt that a team starting 10 PF/C can actually win. A team would be able to dominate blk/rebs/fg% with a an edge in TOs, but would struggle at being strong enough in a 5th category. A team of 10 PG/SG probably has a better chance, but drafting even in an auction draft would be hard. You're looking to win 3s, asts, stls, ft%, and pts, giving up rebs, blks, fg%, and TOs. You would have to get two top scoring guards and two top assist point guards at least. So in an auction format, you may be looking at getting a trio like Westbrook, Paul, and DWill. And just fill the rest of your team. It'd be interesting see what type of experiment would work. But of course, no reflection to real life NBA.

Another format could be 3 G, 3 F, 1 C, 3 U for a starting 10. I think for building a successful fantasy team, the only positions you could tank are PG or PF/C. Probably not both. I don't think you could build a team just on wings. Maybe if you focus on winning pts, 3s, stls, ft%, and TOs.

It seems like a positional heavy team would have to go with a tank 4 cat strategy. I think even if I set up 10 utility positions, very few managers would actually draft a team so skewed towards a couple of positions, though who knows.
geodbear

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Auction