Initial Draft Format Vote - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

Initial Draft Format Vote

Moderator: bokzg

Which draft formart would you prefer for the first year?

Live Auction
22%
Live Snake
11%
Slow/Forum Snake
67%

Total votes : 9

Initial Draft Format Vote

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:32 am

Please vote and provide an explanation if you can.

Thanks!
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Initial Draft Format Vote

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:48 am

I really love the idea of an auction league because a new keeper league should attempt to give all managers an equitable start. A lousy draft position could mean you have to forgo a legitimate chance on winning for a season or two (at a min) in order to draft those young up and comers. However, as it was pointed out in the classifieds thread, a manager could go the route of stockpiling several or so picks and then surrounding these studs with good talent next season. Moreover, there are no auction options on Yahoo which could alleviate this issue. Thus, the next fairest thing is to do a slow draft. At least every manager would have reasonable time in assembling his team.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:53 am

RedHopeful wrote:I really love the idea of an auction league because a new keeper league should attempt to give all managers an equitable start. A lousy draft position could mean you have to forgo a legitimate chance on winning for a season or two (at a min) in order to draft those young up and comers. However, as it was pointed out in the classifieds thread, a manager could go the route of stockpiling several or so picks and then surrounding these studs with good talent next season. Moreover, there are no auction options on Yahoo which could alleviate this issue. Thus, the next fairest thing is to do a slow draft. At least every manager would have reasonable time in assembling his team.

This is how my thoughts on the issue has progressed as well.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jphanned » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:21 am

Could definitely see the values of first-round keeper talent being extremely inflated then everyone else going for pennies on the dollar, so all for a standard snake draft. Prefer (and voted for) the message board option, but would be fine switching over to live if that is the consensus. BTW, how deep are these rosters? On Y! and the league settings there are 2 UTIL, but in the roster you posted you listed 3 UTIL. Either way it's deeper than the norm, so I'd suggest a shortened clock (8 hours) if we do a message board draft.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 am

Rounders Block wrote:Could definitely see the values of first-round keeper talent being extremely inflated then everyone else going for pennies on the dollar, so all for a standard snake draft. Prefer (and voted for) the message board option, but would be fine switching over to live if that is the consensus. BTW, how deep are these rosters? On Y! and the league settings there are 2 UTIL, but in the roster you posted you listed 3 UTIL. Either way it's deeper than the norm, so I'd suggest a shortened clock (8 hours) if we do a message board draft.

Oops! Good catch. The 3 util spots is definitely a mistake. At least the settings/rules page wasn't wrong too.

P.S. Agree on shortened time for a slow draft if that's how we go.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jphanned » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:38 am

bokzg wrote:P.S. Agree on shortened time for a slow draft if that's how we go.

Actually should be fine with 12. Thought rosters were deeper than they were - 8 may be too steep given time zone differences.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby barrec » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:05 am

I voted for the auction. Though the point about the tanking strategy is well taken, I see that as a valid option for some GMs. Others will have different strategies.

But if the consequences of the auction don't fit in with the goal of the league, then lets not do it. I like using the auction format to build your team however you want and agree that a slow draft is the next best to it.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby raffrox01 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:04 pm

I picked slow forum/ snake.

I wouldn't be against an auction but it would depend on its format etc. Being in Australia live drafts can be a bit difficult time-wise but I'm not against it.
raffrox01
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 68)

Postby barrec » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:08 pm

I wanted to expand on my comment as I didn't articulate my thoughts well at all (I did it on mobile web and did a poor job explaining myself).

I do not endorse tanking ;-D . And I don't necessarily see Rounder's scenario as straight up 'tanking.' I see it as a plausible strategy that might work very well for this particular league format. There are also other strategies that could work as well, and I am in favor of allowing GMs to draft/auction how they choose, and to run their team how they choose. (Since tanking is usually an unwritten rule, I also encourage leagues to write it down in the rules/constitution so that if it comes up, GMs can be penalized for it).

Now, if the league doesn't want that particular strategy to be used - then let's make it so that it doesn't happen. I still prefer an auction, for the reasons Red laid out, and I also understand Raffrox's point about getting us altogether at once for a live auction/draft.

If it's too hard to get together, and/or the league wants to avoid Rounder's scenario, then let's slow draft it up :-D
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby thelimey » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Ideally I'd prefer the auction format (for the tactical side) but because of the time difference it would be easier to do a slow draft so i voted for the slow snake draft. I've never done a slow/mesageboard auction draft before, would that be too time consuming or is that a posibility?
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Xperimental Keeper