General Discussion 2012-2013 - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

General Discussion 2012-2013

Moderator: bokzg

General Discussion 2012-2013

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:35 am

Feel free to discuss anything related to the league in here.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: General Discussion 2012-2013

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:51 am

Please register in the Yahoo league page

League ID: 18390
Password: fbc

Thanks again for your interest and participation everyone! ;-D
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Droppin Deuces » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Since the draft thread was locked I'll post my reasoning here.

I voted for auction. However, I understand the time zone differences and how difficult it may be to get a time that is good for everyone. My second choice would be a slow/forum draft.

Since there were a lot of people that wanted to do an auction, but were hesitant about the tanking and 2nd year snake draft, I wanted to bring up a possibility. Why not do an auction draft every year and have keeper penalties? One penalty could be the price that you purchased the player in the previous year plus an additional amount ($1-5). Another penalty could be that you keep the purchased player at the original amount every year but you can only keep them a maximum number of years (3-5). Provided that we can work out the time zone challenge, I would much rather have something like this rather than being stuck with a crummy draft position. This is just a suggestion and it can sprial out of control into something more complex than was originally intended but thought I would bring it up.
Droppin Deuces
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 4)

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Droppin Deuces wrote:Since the draft thread was locked I'll post my reasoning here.

I voted for auction. However, I understand the time zone differences and how difficult it may be to get a time that is good for everyone. My second choice would be a slow/forum draft.

Since there were a lot of people that wanted to do an auction, but were hesitant about the tanking and 2nd year snake draft, I wanted to bring up a possibility. Why not do an auction draft every year and have keeper penalties? One penalty could be the price that you purchased the player in the previous year plus an additional amount ($1-5). Another penalty could be that you keep the purchased player at the original amount every year but you can only keep them a maximum number of years (3-5). Provided that we can work out the time zone challenge, I would much rather have something like this rather than being stuck with a crummy draft position. This is just a suggestion and it can sprial out of control into something more complex than was originally intended but thought I would bring it up.

A very interesting idea indeed. It would definitely give people something to think about when bidding on keepers since their budgets would be bound by the amounts in subsequent years. I don't know that increasing the price for the next season would be necessary though.

We would definitely need to cap the number of years a player could be kept to avoid someone drafting a player who blows up and being able to maintain the advantage of their low price for subsequent seasons. 3 to 5 years sounds about right to sort of follow NBA contract lengths.

One other idea I tossed around was to allow each team to make a huge bid (i.e. >$50 out of $160) on only one or two players in each draft. People could still go all in on a top 3 player, but they would only be able to do it once.

What does everyone else think? I know we already announced the draft order, so try to not let your draft position bias your opinions :)
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ardilla » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:50 pm

I think slow snake drafts are most fun.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby jphanned » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:10 pm

If we could find a way to make the auction work then I'm all for it, for the simple fact that the guys stuck at the end of the snake are in bad shape unless they go full rebuild mode and strike it rich. If we're going to be progressive with the scoring system, the IR, and other facets, then might as well put our brains together and come up with something better than a standard snake draft.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby Droppin Deuces » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:17 pm

Sorry, at the time the draft thread was locked I didn't see your post indicating that it will be a slow/forum draft. I think the one max bid would help prevent the tanking that was brought up. Where is the draft order listed? I checked all the threads from the PM and don't see it anywhere.
Droppin Deuces
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby jphanned » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Droppin Deuces wrote:Sorry, at the time the draft thread was locked I didn't see your post indicating that it will be a slow/forum draft. I think the one max bid would help prevent the tanking that was brought up. Where is the draft order listed? I checked all the threads from the PM and don't see it anywhere.

Here. ;-D
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Droppin Deuces » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks! Just found it by accident and was about to post that I got it.
Droppin Deuces
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby jphanned » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:25 pm

If we're stuck on not doing the auction because of that loophole, might I suggest changing up the way we snake the draft?

Round 1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Round 2: 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Round 3: 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Round 4: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

And then repeat. First pick gets #1, #24, #36, and #37. Twelfth pick gets #12, #13, #25, #48. That would serve to even things out a bit, and the managers at the end would get some better keeper depth that way.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

Next

Return to Xperimental Keeper