General Discussion 2012-2013 - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

General Discussion 2012-2013

Moderator: bokzg

Re: General Discussion 2012-2013

Postby Droppin Deuces » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I think that's a pretty good idea in light of the situation that we are in.
Droppin Deuces
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bokzg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:09 am

Rounders Block wrote:If we're stuck on not doing the auction because of that loophole, might I suggest changing up the way we snake the draft?

Round 1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Round 2: 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Round 3: 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Round 4: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

And then repeat. First pick gets #1, #24, #36, and #37. Twelfth pick gets #12, #13, #25, #48. That would serve to even things out a bit, and the managers at the end would get some better keeper depth that way.

I've never seen a draft done this way before. Anyone who has who can comment on how it tends to work out? It seems okay, but part of me is concerned whether it might be tipping the balance over too far and be an overreaction to what appears to be a significant dropoff after the top 4 picks this season.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 102)

Postby ardilla » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:29 am

As the guy with the worst pick I am not overly concerned if I get worse keepers to start; I feel part of the fun would be to manage my way out of that situation. Go ahead and put your Durant/Pierce against my Aldridge/Horford, you have an edge to start but injuries, player development, late round picks and FAs can even the score.

Not saying an auction won't be equally fun, just saying Im not worried about initial keeper disparity due to low draft pick.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bokzg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:34 am

ardilla wrote:As the guy with the worst pick I am not overly concerned if I get worse keepers to start; I feel part of the fun would be to manage my way out of that situation. Go ahead and put your Durant/Pierce against my Aldridge/Horford, you have an edge to start but injuries, player development, late round picks and FAs can even the score.

Not saying an auction won't be equally fun, just saying Im not worried about initial keeper disparity due to low draft pick.

That's how I see it too. Plus, I'm not even sure that Durant/Pierce is THAT much better than Aldridge/Horford if the latter two end up producing like they're capable of for the next few seasons.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bokzg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:08 am

Still need four more people to register in the Yahoo league page. Let's try to get everyone in as soon as possible so that nothing gets delayed.

Thanks!
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bokzg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:39 am

Unfortunately, ardilla chose to drop out of the league due to some of the changes to the league rules/settings that were made after it was created. However, I have fortunately been able to find a suitable replacement in bujfan2030!
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bokzg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 pm

We also lost raffrox01 due to scheduling issues, but fortunately were able to find a replacement in Muharem23 ;-D
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:44 am

As I look through the rankings for this format, it looks like the tweaks you guys decided on were pretty effective. But one thing that bothers me is Blake making the top 10. Maybe the 9 cat rankings have skewed my thinking, but I really don't buy him there. Is he better than Bynum, AlJeff, LMA, Josh Smith etc. I'm also curious to see if the elderly Dirk and Kobe have Bounceback seasons, where they end up on these rankings. Carmelo and D-Will too. It really is interesting to see where replacing FT% drops some guys.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:27 am

bujfan2030 wrote:As I look through the rankings for this format, it looks like the tweaks you guys decided on were pretty effective. But one thing that bothers me is Blake making the top 10. Maybe the 9 cat rankings have skewed my thinking, but I really don't buy him there. Is he better than Bynum, AlJeff, LMA, Josh Smith etc. I'm also curious to see if the elderly Dirk and Kobe have Bounceback seasons, where they end up on these rankings. Carmelo and D-Will too. It really is interesting to see where replacing FT% drops some guys.

Well I think you have to consider what the category changes were and how they change valuation. Swapping AST + TO for AST/TO gives a boost to players who create for others, while downplaying low TOs players who don't. No longer is it advantageous to simply avoid TO's, but they have to do so in the context of how often they make good passes. Swapping FT% for FTs awards players for getting to the line and converting FTs, while downplaying the value of them doing so at a good %. Getting to the line is credited, while not missing your FTs is taken down a notch.

With that said, let's look at Blake. He gets a good amount of assists for a guy at his position, and does a great job of getting to the line. The thing bringing down his value the most, by far, is his poor FT%. The new cats reward the assists and downplay the poor FT%, and you end up with a guy who averaged about around 21 ppg, 11 rpg, and 3 apg with 55% from the field and 4 FT/g.

AlJeff averaged fewer points, rebounds, and assists, had a lower FG% and got to the line a lot less (19/10/2/49%). Only advantage was in blocks.
LMA averaged fewer rebounds and assists, and had a lower FG%. He had advantages in points and FTs.
Bynum averaged fewer points and much fewer assists with a lot more TOs. He had advantages in rebounds and blocks.
JSmoove averaged fewer points, rebounds, and had a much lower FG% while getting to the line less. His advantages were in assists, 3s, blocks and steals. Pretty even, which is why they're only one spot away from each other.

Makes sense that Blake would rank higher than these guys with the particular emphases with these categories.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:05 am

I understand how he gets in the top 10 with these cats, but what I'm saying is if you asked me to name the top 10 players in the league, I don't think he'd make my list.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

PreviousNext

Return to Xperimental Keeper