General Discussion 2012-2013 - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

General Discussion 2012-2013

Moderator: bokzg

Re: General Discussion 2012-2013

Postby bokzg » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:20 pm

bujfan2030 wrote:What about players who get added late in Free agency? When does their 4 year clock start? The season their picked up in or the following season ?

The League Settings/Rules thread says: "A player can only be kept for a maximum of 4 years, after which he returns to the player pool and is available to be drafted by anyone in the 5th year."

That means this coming season will be the first year that our keepers will "be kept", which means that they will not be able to be kept past 2016-2017. The first year a player is kept is the first year he is designated as a keeper by a manager. This means that 2013-2014 will be year 1 of the 4 year for any player designated as a keeper during this offseason.

The same will apply to any players who are added during the season. Anyone picked up last season outside of the draft and designated as a keeper this offseason will have 2013-2014 as year 1 of the 4 year rule.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 117)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: General Discussion 2012-2013

Postby kiwishaq » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:36 am

bokzg wrote:
kiwishaq wrote:Following on from So-tex, just another question re keepers. If a player is traded does the clock reset so-to-speak (i.e. instead of being at year 2 of their keeper status they go back to year 1)?

I don't think we ever decided on this issue, so it's a good one to bring up. My inclination is to not have the clock reset since the purpose of the 4 year rule was to not significantly undervalued players remain that way for too long. Actual players in the NBA eventually get re-evaluated and are paid what they're worth at some point in their careers if they are initially undervalued, so it makes sense for our league to mirror that. At some point, players' values should be adjusted to their market values.

Anyone prefer otherwise?

That's the way I was thinking too. Mirrors the real life situation which is appropriate for the way this league is set up.
kiwishaq
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Previous

Return to Xperimental Keeper