Draft Discussion 2012-2013 - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

Draft Discussion 2012-2013

Moderator: bokzg

Re: Draft Discussion 2012-2013

Postby bokzg » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in the league for being so cordial and responsive so far. I think we have a really good group here, and one that's perfect for what we're trying to do in the league. Really excited for the draft on Sunday :-D
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 68)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bokzg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:52 am

Great draft guys. I figured I'd put some random thoughts on how it all went down:

1. I'm having second thoughts about going after one of the top 3. Spending $70+ on one pick kills the draft and keeper budget, and I'm not sure if it's worth it in the end :-?

2. Not typically one to draft significant injury risk players, but ended up drafting Eric Gordon and David Lee. Having some buyer's remorse on both, but at least I didn't break the bank for either :-/

3. Also atypical for me was not focusing more on bigs. I'm very envious of the big man bargains that were had later in the draft. RB had a bunch and cnote had a few as well. Just like in real life, can't go wrong going big. I will take solace in the fact that I was at least able to get Varejao for $5 !+)

4. I'm already thinking about my keeper budget, and right now I'd be keeping CP3 ($74), Iggy ($29), Lin/EG ($17/$16), and Varejao ($5), for a total of $125/$124. Some potential sets of keepers I see at a glance are:
  • Bynum/Pau/Lawson/Gortat ($122)
  • Deron/Horford/Harden/Lowry ($124) ;-D
  • AlJeff/Wade/Lillard/Noah ($121)
  • Dragic/Marc/Monroe/Curry or Jennings ($116)
  • Davis/Blake/Holiday/Brook ($124)
  • Durant/Thornton or Bosh/Afflalo or Bargnani/WesMatt ($123)
  • Smoove/Teague/Rondo/Monta ($110)
  • Kyrie/Westbrook/Isaiah/Kawhi ($121)

5. RB's team looks monstrous for this season, but his keeper situation is going to be tricky without pulling off some trades. Keeping both D12 and Cousins seems impossible since they come out to $117 by themselves. On the other hand, Hibbert and Pekovic appear to be great bargains for a total of $28 between them. Too early to know for certain, but some difficult decisions will have to be made keeper-wise on this roster as it stands.

6. phx_2008_champs has an interesting keeper situation too. With Lebron a guaranteed keeper, he'll have to choose between Rose and Aldridge as he won't be able to keep both since they cost $30 and $34 respectively. If he ends up keeping Lebron and Rose or Aldridge, then he won't be able to keep Granger at $16. This is another team that would need to make some trades if it ends up looking largely the same at the end of the season.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jphanned » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:10 am

I considered adjusting my strategy to accommodate both D12 and another $30-$35 player by going after Monroe/LMA instead of DMC, but I really didn't see the point of reducing my chances of winning this year for a future consideration which I could work my way out of if need be. People have the tendency to think too far ahead in keeper leagues, and though it'd be preferable if D12/DMC costed $110 total, I don't foresee it being a problem at all. It's pretty clear that I won't be keeping both and I'm totally fine with that.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 333)

Postby bokzg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:05 am

Rounders Block wrote:I considered adjusting my strategy to accommodate both D12 and another $30-$35 player by going after Monroe/LMA instead of DMC, but I really didn't see the point of reducing my chances of winning this year for a future consideration which I could work my way out of if need be. People have the tendency to think too far ahead in keeper leagues, and though it'd be preferable if D12/DMC costed $110 total, I don't foresee it being a problem at all. It's pretty clear that I won't be keeping both and I'm totally fine with that.

I agree that the keeper budget issue is secondary to competing this season, which you clearly set yourself up very well to do. I only brought up the keeper value issue because it's something that I've never had to consider in a fantasy bball league before, so I couldn't help but take a look at everyone's situations and ponder how it may go down the line. It's clearly something that no one should worry about at all this early in the season with a whole season to pick up players off of waivers and plenty of time to make trades.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ggs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Reach of the Draft: Avery Bradley @ $2 during Red's bathroom break
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 133)

Postby thelimey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Ended up without a 1st rounder player but several round 2/3/4/5 types, not so sure I'll contend this year but at least I've got some flexibility with keepers as my 4 most expensive players are under $125. After drafting Curry I'm pleased I remembered to spend my last $1 on J Jack, if it does go pear shaped I at least get some consolation. It'll be very interesting to see which players are let go at the end of the season...
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 47)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bujfan2030 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:28 am

My one regret was getting caught out trying to enforce a bid on Gortat. I like Gortat fine but would have rather had the cash later for Pekovic and Asik. :,-(
I honestly thought 88-89 was insane for Lebron- Durant. And if you believe he's worth that much, how come nobody was willing to bid Dwight that high. You all must have been suffering from Dwight 9cat trauma :-b . But I can see the value in having one of those guys and I can see how it could be made to work. The irony is Love is gonna be great keeper at 57 the next three years.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby cnote23 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:00 am

Overall those will be my keeps wade, al jef, lillard and Noah maybe ryno but I think these four are a better fit.
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

Previous

Return to Xperimental Keeper