Initial Draft as Live Auction with a Twist? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

Initial Draft as Live Auction with a Twist?

Moderator: bokzg

Live auction draft with a twist?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes : 11

Initial Draft as Live Auction with a Twist?

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:29 pm

While we have already done a poll that resulted in a slow forum snake draft, some new discussion about tweaking the standard auction draft has taken place which may change people's minds. Please vote and post your opinions on a live auction draft with the following tweaks:

1. We will have a live auction draft for every season, including the first.

2. Each person will be allowed to make a "big" bid (i.e. over $40-50, to be determined) on only one player. This will prevent people from going all in on only a few players to max out their keepers. Ideally, this would result in each team having a first rounder in each draft.

3. Keepers will cost the amount they were won for the previous season to be kept in subsequent seasons. Example: If a person wins Lebron for $75 in one year, he will cost $75 to keep the next year. This will hopefully further discourage people from overbidding on a small number of players.

4. A player will only be able to be kept for a max of 3 to 5 years (to be determined). This is designed to prevent people from benefiting too much from a player that blows up and ends up out-producing his value significantly.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 102)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Initial Draft as Live Auction with a Twist?

Postby Droppin Deuces » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:08 pm

My vote would be a yes with the caveat that maybe we don't have to put in the rule about the one max bid due to the lack of snake draft in subsequent years. If a team wants to blow their yearly budget on three max players and hope that the scrubs they get for $1 blow up that year then that is their risk to take. I think people were concerned that it would be a snake draft the 2nd year on and people would have blown their budget on 3 top players and then be able to pick from the rest of the pool in a snake that would cost more money in an auction.
Droppin Deuces
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 pm

I think I'm game. Wanted the auction to begin with and now that we've overcome the major hurdle, let's all agree on a date and time!

I'm not too wild about the keeper years limit though. If anything make it at least 5 years. Don't like leagues that penalize managers who make solid gambles on potential. Besides, in this league, I don't fathom it'd be a usual 3 team horse race, etc.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 663)

Postby phx_2008_champs » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 pm

I wasn't hoping for an auction. I've never done one and have never really wanted to. I'd rather do a slow/snake so I'll put in my vote there.
phx_2008_champs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby cnote23 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:53 pm

auction.-for-me- ;-D
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

Postby jphanned » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:36 pm

I'll throw this out there, because I'm still not sold this will solve all our problems and I'm not a fan of restricting how owners bid - it in some way subverts the whole point of an auction. How about we put a cap on the maximum dollar total for a team's keepers instead? Owners can still go crazy on draft day, but they more than likely won't be able to keep all those high-priced players. It also puts a bit of a premium on the mid-to-late round players where you can find potential bargains.

The main problem I have is with this "one big bid" concept. So you won't be able to get LeBron, but you can still get two or three late first-rounders. It helps but doesn't really address the problem at its core.

Think we should take a few days to discuss possible solutions and pitch ideas before finalizing anything. Since these are going to be our league's rules for years to come, best not to rush into it.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Rounders Block wrote:I'll throw this out there, because I'm still not sold this will solve all our problems and I'm not a fan of restricting how owners bid - it in some way subverts the whole point of an auction. How about we put a cap on the maximum dollar total for a team's keepers instead? Owners can still go crazy on draft day, but they more than likely won't be able to keep all those high-priced players. It also puts a bit of a premium on the mid-to-late round players where you can find potential bargains.

The main problem I have is with this "one big bid" concept. So you won't be able to get LeBron, but you can still get two or three late first-rounders. It helps but doesn't really address the problem at its core.

Think we should take a few days to discuss possible solutions and pitch ideas before finalizing anything. Since these are going to be our league's rules for years to come, best not to rush into it.

Having a keeper budget sounds like a great idea actually. Never even considered it. It might actually solve most of the problems by itself.

I'd like to hear other's thoughts.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ardilla » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:03 am

slow snake draft solves all of the problems. keeps things more based around bball than smart shopping skills.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby raffrox01 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:49 am

I've been in an auction league for about 5 years and they can get pretty complicated. I'm not a fan of an auction every year but could live with the first draft being an auction. I'm still not sure how an auction every year and a keeper budget plus a team budget would work.

i.e. does the price you paid for last years keepers get included in your keeper budget for the next year. If not, people will still load up. If yes, how many years does that price carry over?

I'm more keen to do a slow draft as the cats for this league are already different to standard. Non-standard cats and a live auction draft might be a bit much.
Last edited by raffrox01 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
raffrox01
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 68)

Postby bokzg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:00 am

Another issue I've come up with is how to value FAs picked up during the season who weren't drafted. If an undrafted FA ends up becoming someone's keeper, I'm not sure how we'd value him in terms of budget (both team and keeper).

I'm a big fan of all these ideas coming out, but I have to admit that it's looking more and more like a slow form snake draft will be how we do things.

Any further draft discussion should go in the Draft Discussion thread.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Xperimental Keeper