Initial Draft as Live Auction with a Twist? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

Initial Draft as Live Auction with a Twist?

Moderator: bokzg

Live auction draft with a twist?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes : 11

Re: Initial Draft as Live Auction with a Twist?

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 am

The FA fix is simple but people may not like it. Give everyone an FAAB budget and every player is on waivers, and must be won by placing a bid. Whatever the winning bid is, is their keeper auction value next offseason.

I prefer the auction draft format at the very least for year 1. Instead of having a keeper league dependent on who got the lucky draft spot, it's up to owners to decide how they want to spend their money. Ideally, I'd enjoy doing the auction every year to fill rosters after keepers, but a forum draft is fine.

As for solving the dilemma of people just going all out for keepers, the suggestion of a keeper salary cap is a good one. Another idea would be to have the keepers be tiered based on dollar values. Meaning you could say: 1 keeper over $30, and the other 3 $29 dollars or less. You may even go as far to say 1 keeper > $30, 1 keeper between $20-$29, 1 keeper between $10-19, and 1 keeper < $10.

You could also make one of the keeper spots a rookie as well.
Last edited by DVauthrin on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 164)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bokzg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:12 am

raffrox01 wrote:I've been in an auction league for about 5 years and they can get pretty complicated. I'm not a fan of an auction every year but could live with the first draft being an auction. I'm still not sure how an auction every year and a keeper budget plus a team budget would work.

i.e. does the price you paid for last years keepers get included in your keeper budget for the next year. If not, people will still load up. If yes, how many years does that price carry over?

I'm more keen to do a slow draft as the cats for this league are already different to standard. Non-standard cats and a live auction draft might be a bit much.

The price of the keepers would be included in your budget for each subsequent draft as long as you keep them. Example: If you draft Lebron for $75 in Year 1, he will cost $75 towards your keeper and regular budget for each draft for as long as you choose to keep him.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jphanned » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:14 am

On the road the rest of the night and posting from my phone, but think there is a lot here that we can work with and use to make the auction work in some form. Would be strongly in favor of it.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

Postby bokzg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:15 am

DVauthrin wrote:The FA fix is simple but people may not like it. Give everyone an FAAB budget and every player is on waivers, and must be won by placing a bid. Whatever the winning bid is, is their keeper auction value next offseason.

I considered FAAB too, but it would only work for players on waivers and we'd still have no value for straight FAs.

I prefer the auction draft format at the very least for year 1. Instead of having a keeper league dependent on who got the lucky draft spot, it's up to owners to decide how they want to spend their money. Ideally, I'd enjoy doing the auction every year to fill rosters after keepers, but a forum draft is fine.

As for solving the dilemma of people just going all out for keepers, the suggestion of a keeper salary cap is a good one. Another idea would be to have the keepers be tiered based on dollar values. Meaning you could say: 1 keeper over $30, and the other 3 $29 dollars or less. You even go as far to say 1 keeper > $30, 1 keeper between $20-$29, 1 keeper between $10-19, and 1 keeper < $10.

You could also make one of the keeper spots a rookie as well.

The tier idea is very interesting one, although it might be too restrictive. I think a keeper budget would be sufficient for our purposes.

I would prefer not to make everyone keep a rookie because there aren't always enough good rookies every season.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:20 am

bokzg wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:The FA fix is simple but people may not like it. Give everyone an FAAB budget and every player is on waivers, and must be won by placing a bid. Whatever the winning bid is, is their keeper auction value next offseason.

I considered FAAB too, but it would only work for players on waivers and we'd still have no value for straight FAs.

I'm saying there would be no FA's. Every pickup would go through the FAAB auction that runs nightly. I run a fantasy football league where every player must be picked up using FAAB. Owners can bid $0, to the max of their budget, but there are no straight add/drops. This is why I prefaced my comment with people may not like it, though I know the fix exists.

As for the rookie idea, I get the concern. I'd prefer either a keeper cap or a tiered system before going to rookies.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bokzg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:30 am

DVauthrin wrote:
bokzg wrote:

I'm saying there would be no FA's. Every pickup would go through the FAAB auction that runs nightly. I run a fantasy football league where every player must be picked up using FAAB. Owners can bid $0, to the max of their budget, but there are no straight add/drops. This is why I prefaced my comment with people may not like it, though I know the fix exists.

As for the rookie idea, I get the concern. I'd prefer either a keeper cap or a tiered system before going to rookies.

Interesting. I didn't know that we could set it so every FA would be picked up via bidding as well. It would have the added benefit of making it so that people don't obtain prized FA's simply by being online more often than others.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby raffrox01 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:32 am

bokzg wrote:
raffrox01 wrote:I've been in an auction league for about 5 years and they can get pretty complicated. I'm not a fan of an auction every year but could live with the first draft being an auction. I'm still not sure how an auction every year and a keeper budget plus a team budget would work.

i.e. does the price you paid for last years keepers get included in your keeper budget for the next year. If not, people will still load up. If yes, how many years does that price carry over?

I'm more keen to do a slow draft as the cats for this league are already different to standard. Non-standard cats and a live auction draft might be a bit much.

The price of the keepers would be included in your budget for each subsequent draft as long as you keep them. Example: If you draft Lebron for $75 in Year 1, he will cost $75 towards your keeper and regular budget for each draft for as long as you choose to keep him.

Gees, that will make a good FA pick or a developing second year player to superstar pick too valuable imo.

Before his break out year Love would have been worth a bid of about $10-$15 and the person who scored him would have an indefinite keeper at a super cheap price.

I'd prefer if you could keep someone for say, three seasons and then they need to return to the draft pool.
raffrox01
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 68)

Postby bokzg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:39 am

raffrox01 wrote:Gees, that will make a good FA pick or a developing second year player to superstar pick too valuable imo.

Before his break out year Love would have been worth a bid of about $10-$15 and the person who scored him would have an indefinite keeper at a super cheap price.

I'd prefer if you could keep someone for say, three seasons and then they need to return to the draft pool.

I definitely agree that there has to be a cap on how long a person can keep a player for this very reason. Much like how any bargain player in the NBA eventually gets a pay day at the end of their contract, valuable players who were kept for cheap should eventually have their values re-negotiated via bidding.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:11 am

bokzg wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:
bokzg wrote:

Interesting. I didn't know that we could set it so every FA would be picked up via bidding as well. It would have the added benefit of making it so that people don't obtain prized FA's simply by being online more often than others.

Just looked at Yahoo's settings. You can make waivers continuous, and when you do, you can set which days you want FAAB to run. So for example, if I set up a league to use FAAB, continuous waivers running every night, with a drop period of 24 hrs, that means all players must be bid on, and if you drop a player, you can't win him until those 24 hours expire.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

Postby ardilla » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:05 am

Im against a cap on how long you can hold a player in a keeper league as that is part of the fun for me, holding a guy who develops and becomes a part of my squad for several seasons.

Is this becoming a salary cap league? Part of my initial attraction was due to a clear statement of league rules which attempted to stop tanking with the order of draft picks for the next season based on finish, which indicated future normal drafts. Other part was good managers so I am open to some changes but I admit to being confused as to what is being voted on now.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to Xperimental Keeper