Initial Draft as Live Auction with a Twist? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

Initial Draft as Live Auction with a Twist?

Moderator: bokzg

Live auction draft with a twist?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes : 11

Re: Initial Draft as Live Auction with a Twist?

Postby bokzg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:32 am

Well the idea behind the league is to try things that may not have been done before to try to create a unique FBB experience that we think may improve it. Some ideas may work or fail, but it's worth a shot to try. Hence, the atypical categories, the original idea of having an auction draft in the first year followed by snake drafts after, and the IR slot.

I understand that some people may feel like the recent suggestions about deviating from the original "auction then snake" draft idea and tweaking the auction draft process itself may sound like something different from what was initially proposed. However, I think it's all geared towards trying to do something different, i.e. a keeper league with an auction draft. By doing so, we give everyone a shot at every player and aren't basing things on the luck of the draw (i.e. random draft order).

Also, this is not turning into a salary cap league as far as I understand the term. I wouldn't consider the recent ideas about using bid amounts from the draft and FAAB to prevent people from going all-in on a handful of keepers as moving it towards a salary cap format. I admit the idea of having a value cap for the keepers is kind of leaning in that direction, but it's being applied pretty narrowly for the specific purpose of trying to make an auction draft work in a keeper league.

To sum it up, I see us as all trying to (1) make the first year auction draft idea work, and (2) do it in a way so that people don't just blow most of their budget to lock in as many of the top 5 as possible as keepers. I really like the idea of an auction draft because I'm tired of people having no chance to draft certain players simply because of random luck (i.e. 6th pick having no shot at Lebron or KD), and this is all our best effort to make that happen. If we can't, then back to slow forum draft.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 117)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:44 am

Another option to level the playing field of keepers without a cap or length of time they can be kept would be make them cost a certain draft pick based on their BBM value from the previous season(if we go with a forum draft for year 2 and beyond). For example, you can keep LeBron, but every year you do, you forfeit your 1st round pick after keepers are announced. The better your keepers, the better draft picks you will forfeit.

Ardilla, I get what you are saying, but if we go with an auction format in year 1 nobody wants to be in a situation where one owner can be top heavy on their 4 keepers, and keep them forever. They will dominate the league, and they have no incentive to trade.

And many of us do feel like the owners at the back half of the draft order are at a big disadvantage.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thelimey » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Another alternative to a max length of time to hold a keeper would be to just say that for every year a player is kept the amount of $ they take up goes up by, for example, $2 or 5%. That way it allows you to keep a player as long as you want but with a slight penalty. Of course this only works if you have an auction every year & almost makes it into a contract league but would be a nice tactical twist. I like the idea of all FA's going through the waiver system & having that value count as their auction value.
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bokzg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:11 am

I'm going to put off the draft for now due to the ongoing discussion about possibly doing an auction instead. I'd really like to go with the auction as an option because of all the interesting possibilities that come with it.

To sum it up, here are some of the ideas that I am strongly considering for our draft:
  • Auction draft every year with standard $200 budget. This would allow every person to have a shot at drafting every player.
  • Keepers will cost their bid value to be kept for the next season. Example: bokzg drafts Lebron for $70 -> bokzg designates Lebron as a keeper -> Lebron takes u $70 of bokzg's budget for the next draft. This will discourage/prevent overbidding on keepers.
  • Continuous daily FAAB so that all players, either FA or waiver, are added by bidding on a daily basis. This would make it so everyone has a shot at picking up hot FA's (without having to be online all the time) and assign values for budget and draft purposes. Example: Delonte goes undrafted -> bokzg adds Delonte via FAAB for $5 -> bokzg designates Delonte as a keeper -> Delonte takes up $5 of bokzg's budget for the next draft.
  • A player can only be kept for a maximum of 4 years, after which he returns to the player pool and is available to be drafted by anyone in the 5th year. That way player values are updated to their market value after the typical length of an NBA contract, and prevent people from benefiting too much from a player significantly outperforming their value.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 117)

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:36 am

bokzg wrote:I'm going to put off the draft for now due to the ongoing discussion about possibly doing an auction instead. I'd really like to go with the auction as an option because of all the interesting possibilities that come with it.

To sum it up, here are some of the ideas that I am strongly considering for our draft:
  • Auction draft every year with standard $200 budget. This would allow every person to have a shot at drafting every player.
  • Keepers will cost their bid value to be kept for the next season. Example: bokzg drafts Lebron for $70 -> bokzg designates Lebron as a keeper -> Lebron takes u $70 of bokzg's budget for the next draft. This will discourage/prevent overbidding on keepers.
  • Continuous daily FAAB so that all players, either FA or waiver, are added by bidding on a daily basis. This would make it so everyone has a shot at picking up hot FA's (without having to be online all the time) and assign values for budget and draft purposes. Example: Delonte goes undrafted -> bokzg adds Delonte via FAAB for $5 -> bokzg designates Delonte as a keeper -> Delonte takes up $5 of bokzg's budget for the next draft.
  • A player can only be kept for a maximum of 4 years, after which he returns to the player pool and is available to be drafted by anyone in the 5th year. That way player values are updated to their market value after the typical length of an NBA contract, and prevent people from benefiting too much from a player significantly outperforming their value.

I like all three ideas. I'm on board with this, 100%.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:52 am

DVauthrin wrote:
bokzg wrote:I'm going to put off the draft for now due to the ongoing discussion about possibly doing an auction instead. I'd really like to go with the auction as an option because of all the interesting possibilities that come with it.

+1
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby cnote23 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:54 am

RedHopeful wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:

+1
+2- ;-D
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 237)

Postby jphanned » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:35 am

Thoughts on eliminating the H2H playoffs all-together like we do in Octagon? Still not a fan of having such a small sample determine who wins the league.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:02 am

Rounders Block wrote:Thoughts on eliminating the H2H playoffs all-together like we do in Octagon? Still not a fan of having such a small sample determine who wins the league.

I'd be fine with that.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

Postby raffrox01 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:38 am

I've checked out the doodle times and I can't make any of them. :,-(

Australian time they are in the middle of the day during the week and unfortunately I'll be at work. If the majority can make the times that are there then not sure if its right for the time to be moved. 12 hours earlier or later would work.

I'm in 3 other Cafe leagues so if there is a quick replacement then I can step aside as well.
raffrox01
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 77)

PreviousNext

Return to Xperimental Keeper