2012-13 Rookie Watch - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

2012-13 Rookie Watch

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

2012-13 Rookie Watch

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:20 pm

More or less the hierarchy on projected values is pretty clear before the start of training camp, but we all know a lot usually changes with this volatile group. Sometimes a rookie is pressed into more minutes due to injury or another's underperformance. Other times, a rookie's surprisingly play forces a coach in putting him on the floor more often. However, not all cases of significant minutes result in positive fantasy value.

Let's use this thread to see if we an decipher which rookies at given times during the season will be worth owning, whether in standard or deeper leagues. Also, won't hurt discussing their future potential for seasons beyond. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2012-13 Rookie Watch

Postby cnote23 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:06 am

being a Portland fan can't wait to see lillard on the court and also myers. from other team Davis of course but Rivers is a guy I really would like to see how he does.
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

2012-13 Rookie Watch

Postby Rizzo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 am

Being an owner of Damian Lillard in my dynasty league I'm very intrigued. Also, being a Celtic fan, I want to see what Sullinger brings to the table and if he can carve himself some consistent rotation minutes early on.
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:53 am

Rizzo wrote:Being an owner of Damian Lillard in my dynasty league I'm very intrigued. Also, being a Celtic fan, I want to see what Sullinger brings to the table and if he can carve himself some consistent rotation minutes early on.

I think the Milicic signing hurts Sully's value for this season. Long term he should still be a great asset, but I'm down on him for this year. There are just too many warm bodies at PF/C now. :,-(
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Harktheclark » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:19 am

If we are talking about rookies to watch, I wouldn't mind mentioning Bernard James. Not a big name, but a lot of factors in his favor:

1- His age/demeanor. He's 27, and served in the military before going to FSU. His body is more mature than the other rookies who will be seeing court time, and I believe he probably has an intangibles advantage there too.

2. People he's playing behind. Chris Kaman is always an injury waiting to happen in this league, and Elton Brand, though he has been a pretty solid player in terms of playing games, could conceivably miss some time, if only because his body is getting older, and he might be called upon to play a lot of minutes in Dallas.

3. People he's competing with. His main competition off the bench at the big spots is going to be Brandon Wright. (I almost think of Brand as a starter, though he will come off the bench, because I think he will see a lot of time at the 4 and 5, and I predict that he will see a lot of the center minutes down the stretch because he's a more complete player than Kaman). Wright, while a very good, exciting player, proved that there were questions about how he would matchup in certain situations because of his lack of size. He didn't play much in games vs the Lakers, and didn't see much action in the playoffs against OKC. James has a lot more girth to his body and, therefore, could be the primary backup when playing teams with stiff frontcourts.

All this to say, James could be an important player to keep your eye on, especially if you are interested in front court depth off the waiver wire.

I also think Jae Crowder could be a good find if there's an injury to Vince Carter or Shawn Marion. Hell, Crowder might start if Marion is injured. Both of those rookies are going to be in a good position to pick up solid minutes if there's an injury, and both have a lot of experience, mature bodies, and good IQ when it comes to the game.

Can you tell I like Dallas a little bit? :-D
Harktheclark
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

2012-13 Rookie Watch

Postby Rizzo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:35 am

Fenris-77 wrote:
Rizzo wrote:Being an owner of Damian Lillard in my dynasty league I'm very intrigued. Also, being a Celtic fan, I want to see what Sullinger brings to the table and if he can carve himself some consistent rotation minutes early on.

I think the Milicic signing hurts Sully's value for this season. Long term he should still be a great asset, but I'm down on him for this year. There are just too many warm bodies at PF/C now. :,-(

I don't think Darko will take any minutes away from Sullinger as they play two different positions. Doc was quoted saying he thinks Sullinger can play meaningful minutes right away. Darko is not as big of a threat to Sullinger as Chris Wilcox is.
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:22 am

Rizzo wrote:I don't think Darko will take any minutes away from Sullinger as they play two different positions. Doc was quoted saying he thinks Sullinger can play meaningful minutes right away. Darko is not as big of a threat to Sullinger as Chris Wilcox is.

I'd probably disagree with on the minutes thing. Having Darko on the roster playing even 15mpg at C means 15mpg less Garnett there (which was sort of expected before the signing), which in turn means less minutes for Bass, and also Sullinger. Wilcox is a threat as well, but it's been longer since he's played meaningful basketball and I think Sullinger can handily outplay him at this point. Sullinger could have been the Celt's third big before the Milicic signing, playing minutes at either position, but now he looks like he's tied for 4th at best, or worse if Wilcox can make it off the practice squad.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jphanned » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 am

Hark - Like what the Mavs did in the draft, but you're being far too bullish on James. And he's not even the rookie you should be talking up. Crowder is easily the more appealing prospect to me and the one you want to be keeping an eye out for in deep leagues. He showed massive improvement his final year at Marquette, and his ability to defend 1-5 should earn him minutes from the get-go.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Yup, I like Crowder a lot this year. I was really disappointed when the Raps missed on him by a handful of picks in the second round. :,-( I'm a little more bullish on Crowder for roto because he's so efficient, but he could be worth a pick in deeper leagues as a draft and stash. Mostly he's on my watch list.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Just how many years do you guys think Marquis Teague is away from playing meaningful minutes?
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 153)

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers