2012-13 Rookie Watch - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

2012-13 Rookie Watch

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: 2012-13 Rookie Watch

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:20 pm

Phil O'Pastry wrote:Just how many years do you guys think Marquis Teague is away from playing meaningful minutes?

About a toddler away I think. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Harrison Barnes. THIS IS THE ONE SLEEPER YOU CAN’T SLEEP ON. I’ve already talked about a lot of guys who deserve shots and minutes on this team, but there is no one who stands out as an alpha dog. Barnes could walk right into that role and that, combined with an easy path to regular playing time, is why you should be very interested in him. I think it probably won’t happen, as NBA defenders will deny him space to drive and will force him to rely on a still-inconsistent jumper. But he could be a star and his ADP of 125 is really low for a player of this quality.

Sheridan Hoops

Are they high on him or not: Sleeper you can't sleep on. I think it probably won't happen. But he could be a star?

:-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Postby jphanned » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Not sure I'd draft Barnes at 225, let alone 125.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Rounders Block wrote:Not sure I'd draft Barnes at 225, let alone 125.

Yeah, I agree with you. At best he gives pts and 3's on more than questionable efficiency.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Postby silentjim » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:
Phil O'Pastry wrote:Just how many years do you guys think Marquis Teague is away from playing meaningful minutes?

I'd watch the preseason Bulls games and see what the deal is. Hinrich will probably get a lot of love, but the Bulls' depth is much weaker and if he plays well I could see him having some decent temporary minutes this season with Rose out, which should help his development speed up a bit. He could get little minutes as well. It'll just be interesting to see.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 735)

Postby Harktheclark » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Rounders Block wrote:Hark - Like what the Mavs did in the draft, but you're being far too bullish on James. And he's not even the rookie you should be talking up. Crowder is easily the more appealing prospect to me and the one you want to be keeping an eye out for in deep leagues. He showed massive improvement his final year at Marquette, and his ability to defend 1-5 should earn him minutes from the get-go.

I agree that Crowder is probably the rookie on the team that you should watch the closest, especially if Carter comes out looking like trash. All I'm saying with James is that could potentially get minutes, especially if there's an injury to Kaman which shelves him for a significant amount of time, which is plausible given his past history. He's got a body they can feel ok about sending out against big teams like the Lakers, something that Wright doesn't have, and I don't think they're so crazy about Wright to not give James a shot at decent minutes at the backup 5.

Don't consider him, even in deep formats, unless there's a big injury to someone ahead of him, but if he's given the opportunity to get out there, I think he can produce. I know most people are high on Crowder, but I thought this take on Bernard James could be a little eye opening.
Harktheclark
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:20 pm

silentjim wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:

I'd watch the preseason Bulls games and see what the deal is. Hinrich will probably get a lot of love, but the Bulls' depth is much weaker and if he plays well I could see him having some decent temporary minutes this season with Rose out, which should help his development speed up a bit. He could get little minutes as well. It'll just be interesting to see.

Won't Nate Robinson be soaking up all the minutes behind Hinrich?
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 153)

Postby silentjim » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:22 pm

Phil O'Pastry wrote:
silentjim wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:About a toddler away I think. ;-D

Won't Nate Robinson be soaking up all the minutes behind Hinrich?

Yes. But I think it's possible (right now anyway) that Hinrich plays some off ball which would allow more minutes at the point. It's really a mystery to me right now to be honest. If Hamil;ton has the same injury woes he had last season that makes Belinelli the only legit SG, which would create even more opportunities and so forth.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 735)

Postby bujfan2030 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:29 am

RedHopeful wrote

Harrison Barnes. THIS IS THE ONE SLEEPER YOU CAN’T SLEEP ON. I’ve already talked about a lot of guys who deserve shots and minutes on this team, but there is no one who stands out as an alpha dog. Barnes could walk right into that role and that, combined with an easy path to regular playing time, is why you should be very interested in him. I think it probably won’t happen, as NBA defenders will deny him space to drive and will force him to rely on a still-inconsistent jumper. But he could be a star and his ADP of 125 is really low for a player of this quality.

Sheridan Hoops

Are they high on him or not: Sleeper you can't sleep on. I think it probably won't happen. But he could be a star?
This post was Bizarre. It's like he couldn't decide how he really felt and created the Ultimate CYA post. I was pretty intrigued by Barnes, but the more scouting video you watch of him just hanging on the perimeter and disappearing, it's hard to see what had everyone so excited.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Summer league, plus scouting from before last season. Not so much anything about his SL stats, which are so-so, but a good look at how fast and athletic he is. Personally, I think he's going to thrive in the relatively wide open spaces of the NBA, especially when he's on a solid team and won't have to put up with extra defensive attention. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him right in the mix for rookie of the year.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)

PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers