2012-13 Rookie Watch - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

2012-13 Rookie Watch

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: 2012-13 Rookie Watch

Postby ggs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:10 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Are they high on him or not: Sleeper you can't sleep on. I think it probably won't happen. But he could be a star?

:-D

love that write-up. sooo... should i draft him? lol
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jphanned » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:11 pm

ggs wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Are they high on him or not: Sleeper you can't sleep on. I think it probably won't happen. But he could be a star?

:-D

love that write-up. sooo... should i draft him? lol

A player you can't pass up on. I think I probably won't draft him though. But he could be my main target?
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

2012-13 Rookie Watch

Postby Rizzo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:21 am

Fenris-77 wrote:
Rizzo wrote:I don't think Darko will take any minutes away from Sullinger as they play two different positions. Doc was quoted saying he thinks Sullinger can play meaningful minutes right away. Darko is not as big of a threat to Sullinger as Chris Wilcox is.

I'd probably disagree with on the minutes thing. Having Darko on the roster playing even 15mpg at C means 15mpg less Garnett there (which was sort of expected before the signing), which in turn means less minutes for Bass, and also Sullinger. Wilcox is a threat as well, but it's been longer since he's played meaningful basketball and I think Sullinger can handily outplay him at this point. Sullinger could have been the Celt's third big before the Milicic signing, playing minutes at either position, but now he looks like he's tied for 4th at best, or worse if Wilcox can make it off the practice squad.

There are serious talks about Sullinger starting for the Celtics come opening night. His basketball IQ plays in well with the other starters and I think you can minimize his mistakes by playing him with the starters. Then you can have Brandon Bass bring his scoring off the bench.
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Rizzo wrote:There are serious talks about Sullinger starting for the Celtics come opening night. His basketball IQ plays in well with the other starters and I think you can minimize his mistakes by playing him with the starters. Then you can have Brandon Bass bring his scoring off the bench.

I like the fact Sullinger is a much better fit with Garnett than Bass. Garnett is at his best at being free to roam the floor for spot up J's, PnR's all over the floor, etc. Thus the team would rather have a guy who excels at positioning on the block for easy hoops/O- REB. My concern is that defensively Sully isn't ready. For instance, wasn't the first or the second play of a game a semi fast break by the Euro team and Sully committed a stupid reach in foul at the hoop? Doc won't put up with that. Also, against larger teams, do they want Garnett banging with brutes? Seems Darko starting alongside KG might be a possible avenue too.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

Postby mikewzz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:44 pm

I think Waiters should be avoided in all leagues until he does something.. reminds me a lot of a Kemba Walker.. high volume scorer with not many peripheral stats.
mikewzz
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:15 am

Some thoughts:

- In case you just awoke from a coma, Anthony Davis is the REAL deal. Sure his jumper lacks polish and he's not strong enough to consistently bang in the paint but his intelligence and athletic ability will help his offense be more than adequate.
- Bradley Beal ended the preseason on quite a sour note with a dreaded doughnut last night but I still think he'll be fine.
- MKG might be in store for a rougher season than many expected overall: 31.9 FG% and 67 FT% during preseason play.
- Terrence Jones and Tyler Zeller probably earned themselves at least a few more minutes with their play this past week but Jae Crowder announced his possible impact with a BANG. Will be interesting if any of these guys develop staying power.
- Drummond is someone to watch very closely. DET fans are already clamoring for huge minutes but all indications from Frank are he's going to take it slow with the kid. At some point in the season I expect his role will increase and he could very well hold value in even standard leagues.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby geodbear » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:57 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Drummond is someone to watch very closely. DET fans are already clamoring for huge minutes but all indications from Frank are he's going to take it slow with the kid. At some point in the season I expect his role will increase and he could very well hold value in even standard leagues.

Drummond looks to be a candidate for fantasy tease this season. One game of jaw-dropping stats followed by a couple of games of zeros / foul trouble. Typical of athletic young bigs - Anthony Randolph, JaVale McGee, Tyrus Thomas, etc.... Not saying he'll end up like them, I feel like he'll turn the corner but it'll take a year or two.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 262)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:17 pm

geodbear wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Drummond is someone to watch very closely. DET fans are already clamoring for huge minutes but all indications from Frank are he's going to take it slow with the kid. At some point in the season I expect his role will increase and he could very well hold value in even standard leagues.

Drummond looks to be a candidate for fantasy tease this season. One game of jaw-dropping stats followed by a couple of games of zeros / foul trouble. Typical of athletic young bigs - Anthony Randolph, JaVale McGee, Tyrus Thomas, etc.... Not saying he'll end up like them, I feel like he'll turn the corner but it'll take a year or two.

Good point George, rookie tease nomination for sure, but I still have hopes that he might offer a little more predictability. He has shown in preseason the ability to kind of play within himself more + on a more consistent basis than the guys you listed.
RedHopeful

Postby Quackman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:57 pm

What about Lamb and R. White. Neither played in the first game. You think they will get regular playing time soon. Lamb seems to be on a deeper team so im worried that im waiting for an injury before he plays.

If you were gonna drop one,,which one?

thanks
Quackman
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby geodbear » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Quackman wrote:What about Lamb and R. White. Neither played in the first game. You think they will get regular playing time soon. Lamb seems to be on a deeper team so im worried that im waiting for an injury before he plays.

If you were gonna drop one,,which one?

thanks

I'm going to say no. Neither one one will get regular playing time soon. White is already hampered by his anxiety issues, so they have special travel arrangements. OKC is deep and good. Lamb is backing up Martin who is coming off the bench behind Sefolosha. I prefer Lamb overall for the long term - White has skills but it's rather unique and hard to fit in along with his anxiety issues. But, if this is a non-dynasty league, and not super deep, I'd drop both.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 262)

PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers