2012-13 Training Camp/Preseason News - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

2012-13 Training Camp/Preseason News

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

2012-13 Training Camp/Preseason News

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Key Dates:

September 29 - NBA Training Camps open for practice for teams competing in international preseason contests.
October 2 - 2012 NBA Training Camps open for practice.
October 30 - 2012-13 Season Tips Off.

It's just around the corner guys! Last season, due to the lockout, the NBA had a very abbreviated camp which many believe led to poor basketball and a number of injuries during the first month or two. Will be nice that we won't have to listen to these excuses again. Consequently, let's focus this thread on guys who are trending up/down during preseason. News, opinions and anything in between is all welcome. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2012-13 Training Camp/Preseason News

Postby spud_webb_04 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 pm

first footage (that i know of) of D12 working out as a laker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFN1NPem2R8&feature=player_embedded
spud_webb_04
College Captain
College Captain

Response Team
(Past Year: 141)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:04 am

spud_webb_04 wrote:first footage (that i know of) of D12 working out as a laker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFN1NPem2R8&feature=player_embedded

Thank you for the post. He doesn't look that bad huh?
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Tons of guys taking it easy during the start of camp - Granger, Bynum, Bosh, Wade, E. Gordon and whoever else I'm forgetting. Also some minor injuries already like Chalmers (quad) and Dragic (ankle).
RedHopeful

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:47 am

Can we start over-reacting to minor training camp news yet? It feels like it's about that time in the fantasy season and my drop-add finger is getting itchy. :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Couple of interesting developments:

Reke has been running with the starters at SG (Salmons at SF) with Thornton on the 2nd team.

Ryan Anderson has been running with the 2nd team as Robin Lopez as the starting C.

WAS seems to be adamant that one of Price/Mack/Pargo start the game at PG.

George Karl said he thinks he prefers JaVale McGee come off the bench with Miller and the early practices have reflected this.
RedHopeful

Postby Harktheclark » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:13 pm

I was very surprised to watch the NBATV look in on the Hornets yesterday and see Lopez running with the first team. It must have something to do with Davis and wanting to start him, I guess they don't want to run with a front court of Aminu/Davis/Anderson? I guess I don't blame them, and Anderson is more of a PF, whereas Lopez is comfortable with the C position. I guess its hard to choose who to sit: a guy you paid a pretty good deal of money for, or the guy you drafted at No. 1?
Harktheclark
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Harktheclark wrote:I was very surprised to watch the NBATV look in on the Hornets yesterday and see Lopez running with the first team. It must have something to do with Davis and wanting to start him, I guess they don't want to run with a front court of Aminu/Davis/Anderson? I guess I don't blame them, and Anderson is more of a PF, whereas Lopez is comfortable with the C position. I guess its hard to choose who to sit: a guy you paid a pretty good deal of money for, or the guy you drafted at No. 1?

As of right now, Lopez is going to be a Mozgov type starter - at least early in the season. Monty fears Ryno getting into foul trouble + wear and tear against starting 5's while he doesn't want to put too much on the shoulders of Unibrow yet (Kid is 19). It's fully expected these two will be in to finish games unless Lopez is subbed in for defensive purposes. I just can't see a lineup of Ryno/Davis/Lopez in for anything significant. Only way that would work is if Davis guards the opposing 3. Do the Hornets want to do that to him? I hope not (expect special circumstances).

Now the interesting thing is what does Monty do if EGordon misses games. Rivers is still way raw and would be fortunate to be able to play large minutes right away. Does he start Aminu at SG/Anderson at SF? Or give Xavier/Mason the start? I think no one knows and it'll be something that will be resolved this preseason.
RedHopeful

Postby Harktheclark » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:44 pm

I think if Davis can learn quickly, he can be the kind of person you want paired with Anderson, a low post presence who will clog the pain on D and who you have to respect around the basket on offense. I foresee that combo complimenting each other well. But you are right, it probably makes more sense to have Lopez come in, set the tone, let Anderson get more burn against the 2nd teamers, but then come playing the serious minutes down the stretch. The problem is that I think Davis and Anderson could both be big liabilities in terms of fouls. Davis is a young, aggressive player on defense, and with the quality of offensive PFs in this league, he could have some real problems with fouls. Anderson in general is a little too undersized to play D on a lot of centers in this league, regardless of their offensive abilities.

If Gordon misses serious time, I think you have to go with starting Mason Jr., or Henry, at least initially. Rivers looks too green right now. Perhaps if he makes enough improvements, or if Gordon goes down and they are something like 19-46, then give the kid some run and let him grow and gain experience.
Harktheclark
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Harktheclark wrote:The problem is that I think Davis and Anderson could both be big liabilities in terms of fouls. Davis is a young, aggressive player on defense, and with the quality of offensive PFs in this league, he could have some real problems with fouls. Anderson in general is a little too undersized to play D on a lot of centers in this league, regardless of their offensive abilities.

Disagree. Most don't seem to realize that Davis has shown an uncanny instinct to avoid picking up fouls so I don't think it's suddenly going to become an issue. Even if he has some sporadic trouble, I expect him to adapt rather quickly.
RedHopeful

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates