Bynum, Only a Precaution? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bynum, Only a Precaution?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Bynum, Only a Precaution?

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Bynum to sit out 3 weeks as precautionary measure, according to team.

Tom Moore Twitter
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Bynum, Only a Precaution?

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Andrew Bynum (knee) will be held out of basketball activities for three weeks as a "precautionary measure."
Bynum went to Germany for what was labeled as routine maintenance on his knee, but he's been diagnosed with a bone bruise and the Sixers will be extra cautious with their big offseason acquisition. He will be allowed to do conditioning drills, so it's not as if he's sitting out doing nothing. Still, it's a less than stellar way for Bynum to begin his tenure in Philly. We're watching the health of his knee very closely before the season begins. Spencer Hawes, Lavoy Allen and Kwame Brown would all see a bump in minutes if Bynum is forced to miss time.

Rotoworld
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Is there where I type something denoting my mock surprise?
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 153)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Bynum had procedure in Germany on both knees. Doctor suggested having it done in mid-September for bigger impact in season.

Tom Moore Twitter
RedHopeful

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Phil O'Pastry wrote:Is there where I type something denoting my mock surprise?

Hehe, no doubt.

One thing that I'm wondering about is whether this is more for preventative measures to prolong his career or is there something Roy-imminent about his knee(s)... :-?
RedHopeful

Postby bokzg » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 pm

It's definitely concerning, but I don't know if I'd jump to conclusions as to him having a Roy-type situation. Keep in mind that Roy was playing through injuries all the time and was being looked after by the infamous Trailblazers staff. Bynum, on the other hand, has been having issues for a while and so was definitely being tracked very carefully by a very good Lakers staff up until recently. I think it's smart for the Sixers and Bynum to being cognizant of his knee issues and the long-term implications, and are being extra careful and taking preventative measures (which is how it sounds to me).
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 113)

Postby cnote23 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:12 pm

bokzg wrote:It's definitely concerning, but I don't know if I'd jump to conclusions as to him having a Roy-type situation. Keep in mind that Roy was playing through injuries all the time and was being looked after by the infamous Trailblazers staff. Bynum, on the other hand, has been having issues for a while and so was definitely being tracked very carefully by a very good Lakers staff up until recently. I think it's smart for the Sixers and Bynum to being cognizant of his knee issues and the long-term implications, and are being extra careful and taking preventative measures (which is how it sounds to me).
I agree you dont want this to be a greg oden situation. :-o
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

Postby deadshot11 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:45 am

Big men with lower body issues are not a good sign. Those body parts weren't made to have weight like that sprinting up and down a hard wood floor and jumping/landing with that much force. See Yao Ming, Greg Oden, and Shaquille Oneal.

I'm not at all surprised by the news. Even before it came out, I wasn't touching Bynum anywhere in the first round. You're betting on Bynum being both healthy and consistent. That is not a good bet in my opinion. Most other Lakers fans would tell you the same. How many seasons before last has Bynum put up top 50 value? I'm looking for surer options at the beginning of the draft.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby cnote23 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:18 am

so to be on the safe side i guess getting Hawes as a hand cuff wouldnt be such a bad idea. :-?
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Coach Doug Collins said Sunday that 76ers center Andrew Bynum will receive another injection in his right knee before the season begins.

Collins was not exactly sure of the specifics of the injection, but Bynum's agent, David Lee, spoke about the treatment later in the day.

"Just look at it as lubrication for his knees," Lee said of the Synvisc-One injection that Bynum will receive. The drug is used to treat knee osteoarthritis.

"He's had them in previous years," Lee said. "Look at it as WD-40, for lack of a better way of explaining it. He gets them at the start of the season, and he gets them at the all-star break. It's noninvasive and has nothing to do with the treatment he received in Germany."

Philly.com

It appears he now isn't slated to play in real games until towards the end of October.
RedHopeful

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates