Harrison Barnes to Start? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Harrison Barnes to Start?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Harrison Barnes to Start?

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:35 am

Rotoworld reports it as likely, which is good news for his value. My trouble is in projecting him. On the one hand we have his college stats, which are kinda yawnstipating: 44%/73% and 17/5 with mediocre peripherals and so-so three ball. Then there's small sample size summer league: 39%/73% and 17/5.5 with only 1.8 Stl standing out otherwise (well, and a .571 3pt%). Beyond the stats though he looked big and fast at SF in summer play, and he's playing on a team where he won't be the focus of opposing defenses by any stretch. He also had absolutely stellar combine results (good enough that I had to revise my estimation of his athletic package quite a bit). I think he's got enough daylight there to have a very good rookie campaign, but I'm still waffling about what that means for fantasy.

What I'm tempted to project as a starter playing maybe 26mpg, is 12/5 with a three and a steal on 45/75-ish percentages. The FG% could be better than that due to more open looks, but probably not much. If he really takes off there's room for more upside there, and that's probably why you'd draft him. Anyone else have a projection they like for him?
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Harrison Barnes to Start?

Postby jphanned » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:42 am

Just to clarify things, Jackson himself said at today's practice that he wasn't close to naming a starter at SF.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 400)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 am

And Brandon Rush is still pretty good and has spent at least some practice time with the first unit. No certainy here by any means, and I tried to at least suggest that above (sorry if it didn't come across).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Local beat reporter Marcus Thompson initially posted that he believed Rush had the best shot at the starting job based on early practices. Shortly after that on Twitter he said he had a source that claimed the Job was Harrison's to lose. So it's pretty safe to say they have no idea yet. Best guess would be you can safely discount Jefferson from the starting job :-b Maybe
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby bujfan2030 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:20 am

Can't remember where I read it, but pretty sure it was announced Barnes got the starting gig.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby jphanned » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:25 am

bujfan2030 wrote:Can't remember where I read it, but pretty sure it was announced Barnes got the starting gig.

Don't think it's been officially announced yet, but Barnes has started almost every preseason game. Safe to say it's his. Still don't like him for fantasy though.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 400)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Rounders Block wrote:
bujfan2030 wrote:Can't remember where I read it, but pretty sure it was announced Barnes got the starting gig.

Don't think it's been officially announced yet, but Barnes has started almost every preseason game. Safe to say it's his. Still don't like him for fantasy though.

Yeah, I've tempered my early preseason level of excitement a little. Based on the speed and skill combo he flashed in SL action I was hoping for a little bit more in the way of early returns here. That said, I still think he's more than worth a late round flier for teams in need of a reserve SF. At least as much as guys like Marvin Williams anyway. At least he's starting. :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:53 pm

With Rush now likely out of the picture for a significant period of time, Barnes has all the opportunity in the world. Still don't feel good about him though. ;-7
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:58 am

RedHopeful wrote:With Rush now likely out of the picture for a significant period of time, Barnes has all the opportunity in the world. Still don't feel good about him though. ;-7

And that's pretty much Harrison in a nutshell. :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Injuries & Player Updates