Poll: H2H Playoffs - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

Poll: H2H Playoffs

Moderator: bokzg

Playoffs format?

H2H playoffs for weeks 21, 22, and 23 (top 6)
38%
H2H playoffs for weeks 22 and 23 (top 4)
13%
No H2H playoffs
50%

Total votes : 8

Poll: H2H Playoffs

Postby bokzg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 pm

So it's been suggested that we go the FBC Octagon route by not having H2H playoffs and just going by total win/loss standings for the whole season. While I have always been one who dislikes having an entire season decided by the last few weeks of the playoffs due to teams sometimes resting stars or tanking at that time of the year, I also feel it's a little less exciting to take away that small amount of uncertainty and "anyone can win it" feeling, and makes it too much like roto in that it's hard to come back from a slow start. I think that having the H2H playoffs go from weeks 21 through 23 somewhat ameliorates the star resting and tanking issues by not including the last week of the season, and is a bit of a compromise.

What do you guys think? Unless I get a significant amount of people who want to remove the H2H playoffs, I'm going to stick with having them through weeks 21 through 23.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Poll: H2H Playoffs

Postby jphanned » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:15 pm

Since we're doing a auction re-draft instead of a standard re-draft, wouldn't that whole seeding concept be unnecessary? Given that, I'd be in favor of no playoffs. If people are so strongly in favor of letting a small sample decide things, I guess I'd be fine with doing a two-week playoff among the top four teams.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby bokzg » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:15 am

Rounders Block wrote:Since we're doing a auction re-draft instead of a standard re-draft, wouldn't that whole seeding concept be unnecessary? Given that, I'd be in favor of no playoffs. If people are so strongly in favor of letting a small sample decide things, I guess I'd be fine with doing a two-week playoff among the top four teams.

I guess that's true. It slipped my mind that we had decided to go with an auction for every draft thereafter as well. I guess I can add another option for a 2-week playoff amongst the top 4.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 113)

Postby barrec » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Good point that the last weeks are not representative of an entire season. I do like the idea that anyone can win, and so favor the smaller playoff timeline.

Considering the league is auction now, is there a way to offer incentives still (without getting too complicated)?
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby thelimey » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Personally I would prefer no playoffs (for the usual reasons) but it would make it easier for someone to dominate for a few seasons which could cause some owners to lose interest & drop out so maybe it would be better for the league as a whole to have playoffs. It's a tough one & would be ok with either choice.
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:37 am

On the fence as well, but if forced to choose, I'm slightly leaning towards having the playoffs. See more pro's in having them for this league than not. In the future, we could always a) revisit this topic and b) alternate every year.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Postby phx_2008_champs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Alternating every year is a good choice...by year two we might have a consensus for how we want to go from there.
phx_2008_champs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:14 pm

phx_2008_champs wrote:Alternating every year is a good choice...by year two we might have a consensus for how we want to go from there.

Yep, new leagues should be more flexible. ;-D

I'll go ahead and make this point since I haven't seen it brought up. If we go the no playoff route, would everyone feel comfortable dealing with the usual annual injuries? This is a keeper league so kicking valued players to the curb isn't as viable a solution a la the Octagon. Moreover, we're rewarding teams who take less risk with potentially less valuable players. The idea of having one or two major injuries derail an entire season is why I'm leaning towards playoffs. Sure we're then exposing ourselves to the whim of small sample sizes determining the winner, but I feel it's the better alternative for the whole of a new keeper league. Otherwise, you're likely to have at least several teams pack it in quite early, make value loaded trades to build for the future and further reduce the likelihood possible pool of potential championship winners.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Postby jphanned » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:46 pm

I've read your post 3x and still not sure I get the point you're trying to make, Oleh.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby barrec » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Rounders Block wrote:I've read your post 3x and still not sure I get the point you're trying to make, Oleh.

If you're referring to Red's post, I think he's pointing out a difference in strategies between playoffs and no playoffs. Red, correct me if I am wrong, but what I see is that with the playoff system, you provide GMs with the hope of simply getting in and being able to win it, not matter your overall record. On the other hand, with no playoffs, finishing 5th is as good as finishing 10th, especially in an auction league. There doesn't seem to be incentive to hold onto players to help win now without a playoff, and can make it easier to decide to punt in a given year. No?

Even if I completely missed the boat with your comments, I do think it is important to incentivise standings in some way. Draft order and bragging rights are pretty standard, but going auction every year removes one of those options. And in a non-playoff format, some seasons can end earlier than others. Now, make no mistake - this group is a full of highly motivated players, so I don't think it'd be an issue setting line ups every day. But one of the goals of the league (Bokzg - correct me if I am wrong) was to provide extra incentive for finishing out the season. Maybe we don't need extra incentive, but the extra reward for finishing 5th instead of 7th might be nice.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Next

Return to Xperimental Keeper