2011-12 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to FBC Salary Cap

2011-12 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2011-2012 trade thread

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:29 am

dasein wrote:
scully19 wrote:
silentjim wrote:Just for clarification on the David Lee deal, because Fenris is under the cap, the salaries don't need to be within 150% and so forth in the rules? Is that correct?

This rule exists for the soft cap, everyone is under the cap now, so it doesn't matter.


I only just saw this. The 150% etc rules count for every trade, so it should matter. We just created a precident by letting a player get swapped for picks only. This probably shouldn't have been allowed.


My personal feeling is If you have the cap space under the hard cap to absorb the salary, then you don't have to take a player back. the 150% rule is just like the old NBA 125%. if you are too close to the hard cap to absorb the entire salary, the 150% rule applies.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6342
(Past Year: 163)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Landry Fields

Postby cnote23 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:56 am

5 mil 2.5 +2.5
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicResponse Team LeaderCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4217
(Past Year: 242)
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: From the hillbilly woods of SW Washington

Re: 2011-2012 trade thread

Postby dasein » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:22 am

DVauthrin wrote: My personal feeling is If you have the cap space under the hard cap to absorb the salary, then you don't have to take a player back. the 150% rule is just like the old NBA 125%. if you are too close to the hard cap to absorb the entire salary, the 150% rule applies.


I don't really understand the last sentence. If you are too close to the cap to absorb the incoming salary, then you simply can't do the trade. It's got nothing to do with the 150 rule.

Anywho, the 150% rule is the new NBA rule. It replaces the old 125 one. I don't really have strong feelings either way about whether we should have something like this. My issue is that it currently is in the rules. Either we play by the rules or we don't. It all becomes a bit of a fustercluck if we unilaterally decide to ignore rules cause we don't like them.

If we want to change rules mid stream, we should have a process for doing so.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 935
(Past Year: 443)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2011-2012 trade thread

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:16 am

dasein wrote:
DVauthrin wrote: My personal feeling is If you have the cap space under the hard cap to absorb the salary, then you don't have to take a player back. the 150% rule is just like the old NBA 125%. if you are too close to the hard cap to absorb the entire salary, the 150% rule applies.


I don't really understand the last sentence. If you are too close to the cap to absorb the incoming salary, then you simply can't do the trade. It's got nothing to do with the 150 rule.

Anywho, the 150% rule is the new NBA rule. It replaces the old 125 one. I don't really have strong feelings either way about whether we should have something like this. My issue is that it currently is in the rules. Either we play by the rules or we don't. It all becomes a bit of a fustercluck if we unilaterally decide to ignore rules cause we don't like them.

If we want to change rules mid stream, we should have a process for doing so.


I did a poor job explaining my interpretation of when we use the 100% plus 5M, or 150% rules for trading. I apologize for that. Basically my interpretation was in a situation where acquiring the player puts you over the hard cap, you must follow the 150%, or 100% plus 5M rules for trading, even if you have enough cap space where you don't need to offer that much salary in return. In the NBA, if both teams are under the cap, they don't have to follow the percentages.

Here are a few examples: If i'm 7 mil under the cap, and another team offers me an 8 mil player for a draft pick(the other team will obviously be under the hard cap). I can't fit the player under my cap space, so I have to take back no more than 100% of a salary and 5M, or 150%. That means I have to trade at least 3 mil in salary(100% of 3 mil plus 5 mil=8 mil) or at least 5.7 mil if I choose to follow the 150% rule, even though 1 million in salary would get me within the cap.

Or if I have 8 mil in cap space, and i'm offered a 12 million dollar player for a draft pick. obviously i can't fit that player under the hard cap, so I have to use the 100% plus 5M, or 150% option. That means I have to send 7 million in a deal following the 100% rule. In the 150% rule I have to send at least 8 million in salary to the other team. Otherwise, all i'd need to do is send 4 million in salary back and my roster fits under the cap.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6342
(Past Year: 163)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2011-2012 trade thread

Postby dasein » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:25 am

It looks like we're going to just scrap this rule anyway, but because I'm a pedant, I want to clarify...

when trading:

1. No team goes over the salary cap as a result of the trade.
2. A team does not acquire more than the lesser of 150% plus 0.01M, or 100% plus 5M of the salaries they trade away.

You don't get to choose which measure you use; you must take the smaller number of the two. ;-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 935
(Past Year: 443)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2011-2012 trade thread

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:28 am

dasein wrote:It looks like we're going to just scrap this rule anyway, but because I'm a pedant, I want to clarify...

when trading:

1. No team goes over the salary cap as a result of the trade.
2. A team does not acquire more than the lesser of 150% plus 0.01M, or 100% plus 5M of the salaries they trade away.

You don't get to choose which measure you use; you must take the smaller number of the two. ;-D


Sorry again about the misinterpretation. don't know why I misinterpreted it either. I don't think we have to scrap it though, we could modify the way it reads to say something similar to this:

3. If both teams are under the cap after making the trade, the percentages need not apply.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6342
(Past Year: 163)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Marc Gasol

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:28 am

...
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6342
(Past Year: 163)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brandon Bass

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:33 am

3M(1.5M, 1.5M)
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6342
(Past Year: 163)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Samuel Dalembert

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:37 am

6.5M(3.1, 3.4)
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6342
(Past Year: 163)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Marc Gasol

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 am

30M (10M, 10M, 10M)
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain


Posts: 599
(Past Year: 146)
Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues



Get Ready...
The 2014 NBA season starts in 20:37 hours
(and 97 days)


  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact