2011-12 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2011-12 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Draft thread(RedHopeful is on the clock)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:03 pm

2.11 Josh Selby
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft thread(Markos is on the clock)

Postby Markos » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:10 pm

2.12 - Derek Nolan Smith
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 7)

Re: 2011-2012 trade thread

Postby scully19 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:54 pm

I don't understand why anyone is mentioning the hard cap. I thought this was simple, you can't go over a hard cap. I don't understand why percentages are involved at all with a hard cap.

As for the NBA comparison. They use percentages and generally equal money when they are over or near the soft cap. Then salaries must be close. We do not have a soft cap, so the comparison doesn't work. If you are under the cap (which everyone in this league is) then there should be no restriction on trading.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 203)

Re: Stephen Curry-RFA

Postby snakehuynh » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:55 pm

not gonna match
snakehuynh
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 48)

Stephen Jackson

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:28 pm

;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

James Harden

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:29 pm

;-D
RedHopeful

Postby silentjim » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:35 pm

scully19 wrote:I don't understand why anyone is mentioning the hard cap. I thought this was simple, you can't go over a hard cap. I don't understand why percentages are involved at all with a hard cap.

As for the NBA comparison. They use percentages and generally equal money when they are over or near the soft cap. Then salaries must be close. We do not have a soft cap, so the comparison doesn't work. If you are under the cap (which everyone in this league is) then there should be no restriction on trading.

I don't care about the hard cap. I just thought that for competitive purposes I wasn't allowed to trade you Ronnie Brewer at .25M for Devin Harris at 13 million a year for competitive purposes unless the contracts fit under the trade requirements as described above.

Otherwise there is really no reason to have those rules about trades matching plus or minus and so forth. As long as your under the cap you can trade for salary, is what it should say. Which I don't think it should, but I could be in the minority.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 735)

Postby barrec » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:50 pm

scully19 wrote:I don't understand why anyone is mentioning the hard cap. I thought this was simple, you can't go over a hard cap. I don't understand why percentages are involved at all with a hard cap.

Agreed. That is how the league was originally devised, right? Teams under the soft cap had no restrictions for salary whereas teams over the soft cap had to match salary. If we have no soft cap, that rule should no longer apply. We can and almost certainly should revise that rule to reflect the lack of a soft cap, no?

It might come down to whether we want to mimic the NBA or not. On the one hand, forcing to match salaries is a unique twist in making deals you don't find in many leagues and can be rewarding to GMs who manager salaries well. Plus it does mimic the role of GM in the nba.

On the other hand, it does make it more difficult to make a deal and might not be worth it. What I liked about Kal was that above all, he wanted a fun league that everyone liked, and not just a league that mimicked the NBA at all costs.

I like the matching salary, personally. Not sure how to handle picks, though.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Postby silentjim » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Since deals have gone through without matching salaries or fitting into the old rules, I'm assuming we just move forward with, if you can make a trade and take on more salary and still stay under the cap, then do it. If you can't, then you can't make that trade.

We can just get rid of the rules pertaining to trades. I think we should keep that picks don't have value, but players drafted do. That way teams with little to no cap room, might be able to trade picks for smaller contracts or something along those lines, or some sort of cap relief.

I think we've stated in the past cash cannot change hands.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Stephen Jackson

Postby silentjim » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:57 pm

.25M (.25M, .25M)
silentjim

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap