2011-12 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2011-12 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: finalized Free Agent Groups thread(link included)

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:59 am

3.3 BIRD RIGHTS
A team is said to have Bird Rights on a player if:
- the player’s contract was for 2 or more years, and
- the team owned the player for the whole of the previous season, or
- the team traded for the player during the previous season.

If you sign someone in offseason free agency to a multi year contract and you keep him through his contract, you have his bird rights. if you trade him to another team midseason in the final year of his contract, they have to keep him through the remainder of the season to get his bird rights.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:01 am

4ndrew wrote:crazy question but ... how can you tell if you have bird rights on a player? This from someone who watches the game & used to play when he was young enough to have a vertical greater than 5cm, but who knows nothing about the business side of things 8-o

That's actually a great question. I don't think we currently have anything on the spreadsheet that tracks how a player was acquired, and by extension, whether they are eligible for bird rights.

Scully?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby 4ndrew » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:08 am

Yes I vaguely remembered reading that in the rules (thanks for the reminder!), but looking at last year's expirings on my roster I couldn't tell who had contracts >= 2 years. I presumed that there were other expirings that had been removed, and the remaining ones there (Durant, Fernandez and Flynn in my case) were the ones I had bird rights to, but I'd like to be sure that's the case.
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:19 am

4ndrew wrote:Yes I vaguely remembered reading that in the rules (thanks for the reminder!), but looking at last year's expirings on my roster I couldn't tell who had contracts >= 2 years. I presumed that there were other expirings that had been removed, and the remaining ones there (Durant, Fernandez and Flynn in my case) were the ones I had bird rights to, but I'd like to be sure that's the case.

You have bird rights to all three of them.

Re: 142. Rudy Fernandez
350K (350K +350K)

Flynn is a RFA on his rookie contract, and contracts above 10 million have to fall between 2-4 years in length(covers KD).
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Draft Thread(hi chi on the clock)

Postby hi chi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:57 am

sorry for the wait fellas, the CP3 thing made my head explode.

1.13 Jan Vesely
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

Re: Draft Thread(barrec on the clock)

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:23 pm

1.14 Iman Shumpert(Barrec sent me his list)
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

Re: Draft Thread(snake on the clock)

Postby snakehuynh » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:10 pm

1.15 Kawhi Leonard
snakehuynh
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 48)

Re: 2011-2012 rosters thread

Postby snakehuynh » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:25 am

PG: Monta Ellis (5.75)
SG: Kevin Martin (11.75)
SF: Gerald Wallace (10.5)
PF: David West (10)
C: Joakim Noah (8.5M, 8.5M, 8.5M)
UTL: Carlos Boozer (7)
UTL: Elton Brand (8.5,8.5,8.5)
UTL: Jason Richardson 8 (4, 4)
Bench: Paul George (1.5)
Bench: Andre Miller (1.5M, 1.5M)
Bench: Caron Butler (1.5,1.5)
Bench: Shane Battier (.5, .5)
Bench:
Bench:
Bench:
Bench: Kawhi Leonard (SA-SF) (1,1.5, 2)
2011-12 Total Salary- $46.5
Waived-.25
Cap Space- $2.25
RFA- Steph Curry
FA-Mike Conley, Tyson Chandler, Sam Dalembert, Shane Battier, Kirk Hinrich
Waived- Jimmy Butler (Chi-SF) 2nd rounder, no cap impact
Waived- DeSean Butler- .25
Amnesty-Vince Carter
Last edited by snakehuynh on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:46 am, edited 9 times in total.
snakehuynh
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 48)

Postby scully19 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:06 am

dasein wrote:
4ndrew wrote:crazy question but ... how can you tell if you have bird rights on a player? This from someone who watches the game & used to play when he was young enough to have a vertical greater than 5cm, but who knows nothing about the business side of things 8-o

That's actually a great question. I don't think we currently have anything on the spreadsheet that tracks how a player was acquired, and by extension, whether they are eligible for bird rights.

Scully?

The spread sheet i first had did track it, I went through every player and determined if they were owned for the whole year. Basically anyone in the spread sheet below on a team is considered to be owned by bird rights. I'm not sure if I'm wrong, but I thought you had to own them for 1 full year, and be on the team for the whole year (so signed in off season before year and not waived ever). In which case that list is wrong, but easy to fix because the column with years would need to be 2, because that would be the length of the contract they signed. Any 2 year contract would qualify for bird rights.

EDIT: Also, thought I should mention that I find bird rights to be basically pointless right now, and just adding extra work for next to no real benefit. So what if you can increase at 15% instead of 10%? It's average salary that matters. And max contracts have a yearly cap of 20mill. You can't go any higher than that ever, so that part doesn't matter. MLE doesn't exist anymore, so that doesn't matter. Is having a slightly lower first year but higher overall offer really worth all the extra tracking?

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci ... VqDVsam_I8
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby dasein » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:03 am

scully19 wrote:I'm not sure if I'm wrong, but I thought you had to own them for 1 full year, and be on the team for the whole year (so signed in off season before year and not waived ever).

You might be right. It might have been like that before and I might have got it wrong. I'm ok with the way it's written now though- a little incentive for giving longer term deals.

scully19 wrote:EDIT: Also, thought I should mention that I find bird rights to be basically pointless right now, and just adding extra work for next to no real benefit. So what if you can increase at 15% instead of 10%? It's average salary that matters. And max contracts have a yearly cap of 20mill. You can't go any higher than that ever, so that part doesn't matter. MLE doesn't exist anymore, so that doesn't matter. Is having a slightly lower first year but higher overall offer really worth all the extra tracking?

A couple of things here:

1. It does matter for the Durants and Lebrons who are going to be getting max contracts. BRs have a significant influence here.

2. It's no longer average salary that matters- its total salary (with number of years as the 1st tie break). So having a window of 15% rather than 10% does give you more flexibility. How much will this matter in practice? To be honest, I'm not sure, but my gut says that managers will find it useful. We'll have to wait and see.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap