Dirk: Here We Go Again - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Dirk: Here We Go Again

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: Dirk: Here We Go Again

Postby deadshot11 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:07 pm

The report I read said 6 weeks until resuming on-court activities. So I wouldn't expect him at full speed at the beginning either.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Harktheclark » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:44 pm

What I read was 3-6 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in a month. He has a very strong history of coming back from injuries quickly. As a big fan and owner in multiple leagues, I wish he just got the surgery earlier. But I think he won't miss more than 3 weeks of the season, and he should be a huge player when he gets back.
Harktheclark
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jphanned » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Harktheclark wrote:What I read was 3-6 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in a month. He has a very strong history of coming back from injuries quickly. As a big fan and owner in multiple leagues, I wish he just got the surgery earlier. But I think he won't miss more than 3 weeks of the season, and he should be a huge player when he gets back.

You're still being overly optimistic. Had to check you before and I'm doing it again. 6 weeks until he begins on-court activities, which means he won't be back to full strength until at least then. And I'm not sure why you're under the impression he heals quickly when it took him a long time to get back to form last season after the setback with his knee in the early going.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Rounders Block wrote:
Harktheclark wrote:What I read was 3-6 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in a month. He has a very strong history of coming back from injuries quickly. As a big fan and owner in multiple leagues, I wish he just got the surgery earlier. But I think he won't miss more than 3 weeks of the season, and he should be a huge player when he gets back.

You're still being overly optimistic. Had to check you before and I'm doing it again. 6 weeks until he begins on-court activities, which means he won't be back to full strength until at least then. And I'm not sure why you're under the impression he heals quickly when it took him a long time to get back to form last season after the setback with his knee in the early going.

Haha, some continue to maintain optimism despite turmoil. :-b

Dallas will now be a very curious fantasy situation. Who steps up v. who fails? I myself even gambled on Crowder in a very deep league last night when i read the surgery rumors grow before hitting the sack.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Dirk does have a history of bouncing back well after injuries, but here I think you really have to take his age into account when looking at any timetable and go with the longer projection.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Harktheclark » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Last season, he was just under prepared. When he took the time off, he almost immediately began performing at the level we expect him to play all the time. If you don't believe me, you can view this link: http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_ ... k-nowitzki

Again, these situations are pretty different. Last season was a matter of a very tired DIrk(long playoff run, German National team qualifying in August and September) who didn't think we were having a season last year and was under prepared training and condioning-wise for the season. When you look at his previous injuries, of which he's only had a few, his body recovers actually very well.

I went back and checked the article I read, and it appears they changed it to "within 6 weeks," which again leaves the door open for him to return sooner than that. Looking at the evidence, there is no reason to believe he won't come back and be the first-round caliber player he typically is. Is this a big setback? Yes. Does it suck as a Mavs fan and Dirk owner? Yes. Would I not draft him late in the first round? Probably not. Do I think this is a huge cause for concern? Not with all of the information I have to work with.
Harktheclark
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:28 pm

bujfan2030 wrote:Dirk does have a history of bouncing back well after injuries, but here I think you really have to take his age into account when looking at any timetable and go with the longer projection.

Yeah this and the fact that all scopes don't 100% of the time take care of the issue.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Harktheclark » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:35 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Rounders Block wrote:

Haha, some continue to maintain optimism despite turmoil. :-b

Dallas will now be a very curious fantasy situation. Who steps up v. who fails? I myself even gambled on Crowder in a very deep league last night when i read the surgery rumors grow before hitting the sack.

While I understand why some may think I am being delusional, I feel like, having long been a fan of Dirk and the Mavs, I know and understand his past and present well enough to give good insight into his future. Of course, I could be wrong. But everyone was wanting to write him off early last season, and then what happened? Food for thought.

As for people who are helped by this, I am also very glad that most people (besides myself) failed to recognize that Brand, even without playing a ton of minutes, produced mid-40s value last year, and that I now own him in most of my leagues. He's the obvious beneficiary. Crowder should see some extra minutes, if Marion shifts over to PF, but I think the main off-the-bench guy who gets a bump is definitely Brandan Wright, who is now the main big off the bench. I'd rank it like this:

Brand
Marion
Wright
Crowder
Harktheclark
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Harktheclark wrote:While I understand why some may think I am being delusional, I feel like, having long been a fan of Dirk and the Mavs, I know and understand his past and present well enough to give good insight into his future. Of course, I could be wrong. But everyone was wanting to write him off early last season, and then what happened? Food for thought.

As for people who are helped by this, I am also very glad that most people (besides myself) failed to recognize that Brand, even without playing a ton of minutes, produced mid-40s value last year, and that I now own him in most of my leagues. He's the obvious beneficiary. Crowder should see some extra minutes, if Marion shifts over to PF, but I think the main off-the-bench guy who gets a bump is definitely Brandan Wright, who is now the main big off the bench. I'd rank it like this:

Brand
Marion
Wright
Crowder

Well, no one is attempting to question your knowledge. Rather it appeared your bias earlier dismissed too quickly Dirk's situation pre-surgery. Now, while i agree one should factor in your postive factors for a possible bounce back, you're still not necessarily looking at the whole picture. One, dirk's age (tons of career minutes). Two, understanding degenerative conditions. Regardless of previous injury record, sometimes a body part cannot be like it was once. Three, the time it'll take to be 32 minute hardcore producer once the doctors give him 100% go ahead.
RedHopeful

Postby Harktheclark » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:12 pm

The hard thing for me there is looking at his past, and what he has done, rather than looking at his what could happen. Yes, he is older, and his body could heal differently. And yes, he could not respond as well to the surgery as one would hope. But I guess I prefer to look at what has happened in the past and base my opinions off of that instead of looking at what might happen.
Harktheclark
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates